2017 exam Rules/Test questions/Nondisclosure

no, that would defeat the purpose of this place.

[QUOTE=cali deckie;178557] For Nav Gen its [U][B]all[/B][/U] in Bowditch 2 and the rest are in the CFRs[/QUOTE]
My Bowditch & CFRā€™s must have been missing a bunch of pages.

[QUOTE=acesouthcoast;178558]I currently hold a 1600 ton mate NC and took 6 modules. Chart plot, ROR, deck safety+environmental, deck gen, Nav gen, near coastal/terrestrial Nav. I plan on sitting for 1600 ton master as soon as i have the sea time and was curious what modules they typically have you take for that upgrade? I also have 200 ton master NC and mate of Tow. I keep hearing i will only be required to take about 3 modules for the upgrade to master. Do you have any insight on this being fact or fiction? Im taking the oceans endorsement at an outside school and plan on adding to license as well. Many thanks in advance for any info.[/QUOTE]

Youā€™ll have to take the entire (7 module) Master 1600 Oceans exam. But, if you hold Master of Towing Vessels you can go to Master [U]500[/U] with a ā€œlimitedā€ exam of 3 modules (not including any modules for oceans). See 46 CFR 11.418(b). Although the examination for Master 500 and Master 1600 are the same, and there is no exam to go from Master 500 to Master 1600, the regulation I cited only specifies going from Master of Towing Vessels to Master 500 and there is no similar regulation to go to Master 1600. I canā€™t speculate if you will be approved for Master 1600 with the same 3 modules (plus any for oceans).

[QUOTE=acesouthcoast;178594]ā€¦So once i have 500 ton master i can attain 1600 tom master with just seatime?[/QUOTE]
Yes.

[QUOTE=acesouthcoast;178571]Yea im not sure if i will qualify for 2nd mate or not. [/QUOTE]

If you donā€™t already hold 3rd Mate, you wonā€™t qualify for 2nd Mate. The required sea time must be obtained while holding 3rd Mate. See 46 CFR 11.406.

[QUOTE=acesouthcoast;178571]I also plan onhaving my oceans endorsement on my mate license before i apply for master.Hopefully i wont have to do an oceans module in that case.[/QUOTE]

You will have to take the oceans modules for Master 1600, even if your Maste 1600 is for oceans. The modules (there are two) for increase in scope near coastal to oceans) for Master are different than for Mate, and there is stuff on the Master oceans exam modules that is not on the Mate oceans modules. Considering this, the course for going from Mate 1600 near coastal to oceans may not help you much. But you could got to Master 1600 near coastal now, then take a course to go to Master 1600 oceans.

The course also might help if you get oceans for your Master of Towing. Then, you can go to Master 500 as I described above without an oceans examination. If you go this way, make sure any course you take is approved for all modules needed to go from near coastal to oceans for Master of Towing.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;178548]I sat for all my license exams before the questions were first made public. So itā€™s even easier to say suck it up and learn the material.

Maybe like this. Or this.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. . .

Many thanks for all the info. Extremely helpful. Im going to go for master 500.

Itā€™s nice to see that there are a few of us left that actually did get our licenses when there was no such thing as the internet. We also ran boats before DP was everywhere and had to handle the vessel. As well we had to know our surroundings if we got caught in the fog, we could not look at a chart plotter to see where we were. As strange as this concept sounds it really did work that way. Now half the guys in the wheelhouse canā€™t put the boat to the dock without DP.

[QUOTE=capitan1962;178790]Now half the guys in the wheelhouse canā€™t put the boat to the dock without DP.[/QUOTE]

Do people actually do that?

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;178793]Do people actually do that?[/QUOTE]

There was a thread a while back on this with a couple of the new breed explaining how hard it was to back into C-Port 1.

Easy capt. All due respect but im sure some guys older than you could shit all over the way you do it. Im all for good seamanship but things change. That being said using DP to get to the dock is scary although im sure these oil companies love it because it takes out chance for human error.

[QUOTE=capitan1962;178796]There was a thread a while back on this with a couple of the new breed explaining how hard it was to back into C-Port 1.[/QUOTE]

I thought someone said that would be safer, which sparked a huge flame war, but I donā€™t remember anyone actually admitting to being that incompetent at shiphandling.

It unfortunately does happen, Iā€™ve even seen it done on a crew boat.

[QUOTE=coldduck;178812]It unfortunately does happen, Iā€™ve even seen it done on a crew boat.[/QUOTE]

Thatā€™s sad. If you canā€™t back these modern boats into C-Port 1 you shouldnā€™t be driving it. Thereā€™s so many thrusters on these things itā€™s not complicated, even a 60 ft OSV going into a 62 ft slip cross-current isnā€™t difficult under normal conditions.

[QUOTE=coldduck;178812]It unfortunately does happen, Iā€™ve even seen it done on a crew boat.[/QUOTE]

Kinda takes the fun out of things if you ask me.

This is the way I went. Iā€™m going to take celestial soon and upgrade to 1600 oceans from 500 NC. With the only testing Iā€™ll need to be the celestial nav class. (As far as I know and from what Iā€™ve been told)

sounds about right

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;178817]Thatā€™s sad. If you canā€™t back these modern boats into C-Port 1 you shouldnā€™t be driving it. Thereā€™s so many thrusters on these things itā€™s not complicated, even a 60 ft OSV going into a 62 ft slip cross-current isnā€™t difficult under normal conditions.[/QUOTE]

Talking about boat handling?? Iā€™ll give you a single screw ship without bow thruster performing an anchor turn and using the bow spring to get alongside: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESCk7pmuR4k
The anchor is used to pull the bow off the quay side when leaving as well. They do this several times a day, every day and in all kinds of weather. THAT is boat handling!!
Even the old American workboats I was on in 1970, twin screw but without bow thruster, could be ā€œwalkedā€ if you knew how to do it.

[QUOTE=ombugge;178852]Talking about boat handling??[/QUOTE]

I think you missed the entire point of my postā€¦

Most guys today would not even know what you were asking if you asked, ā€œInboard or Outboard Wheels?ā€ And one thing to look forward about getting old is we only have so many more classes to take.

1 Like

Inboard wheels = water jets?

Outboard wheels = z drives?

[QUOTE=ombugge;178852]
Even the old American workboats I was on in 1970, twin screw but without bow thruster, could be ā€œwalkedā€ if you knew how to do it.[/QUOTE]

One time, in band campā€¦