2012 is upon us - dump DP and learn the Astrolabe!

Greetings All,
With no chance at learning DP in the near future and the impending doom of 2012 we might want to resurrect the astrolabe! Check out this TED presentation:

MTSKIER

I absolutely love all of the talks on TED. I’m saving this one for tomorrow morning coffee. Thanks MT!

That settles it, I’m going to build one.

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/projects/MakeyourownAstrolabe.pdf

for those really interested…celestaire still has a couple a versions as well as books on the subject listed in their catalog.

RJB, thanks for the link to the “build your own”.

I am a little worried, however, as the directions distinctly say, “Drills and cutting tools are sharp! Get help from an adult and be careful!”.

So, since MT Skier moved back to Montana, I gotta wait until Capt. Anonymous and I have coffee so I can get him to supervise.

By the way, we might as well rename this thread: Geeks of the world, unite!

[quote=mtskier;21826]Greetings All,
With no chance at learning DP in the near future and the impending doom of 2012 we might want to resurrect the astrolabe! Check out this TED presentation:

MTSKIER[/quote]

[B]That was good one, I don’t have to adjust to much, were still “carving tablets” at work…:D[/B]

[quote=Capt. Fran;21871]RJB, thanks for the link to the “build your own”.

I am a little worried, however, as the directions distinctly say, “Drills and cutting tools are sharp! Get help from an adult and be careful!”.

So, since MT Skier moved back to Montana, I gotta wait until Capt. Anonymous and I have coffee so I can get him to supervise.

By the way, we might as well rename this thread: Geeks of the world, unite![/quote]

[B]Capt. Fran, I would be honored :rolleyes: ,…how do we test in? (promise not to run with tools)[/B]

Once I have the script written that describes the etchings I can load that into the CNC mill and shazam it will be…sh*t, should have used PERL, VB is just another crappy MS product - am I in the club yet! : )

Interesting, good TED presentation, the idea that when you use modern electronic tools something is lost as well as gained is not news to navigators.

I’m not sure I understand the Astrolobe exactly, it seems to be a combination Rude Star Finder and sextant? What a great gadget/artifact.