How Do You Use A Sextant?

I realize that many view the Sextant as completely unnecessary and frivolous these days but I personally see it as a good back up skill to have. You never know right?

So I’m looking for recommendations for “How To” books on celestial nav. And good quality “affordable” sextants for the beginner. This may have been covered in the past but I am unable to get the search to work properly.

Its something I’d like to learn so I can fiddle with it while towing offshore and while sailing in the future. Maybe not out of necessity but just for the satisfaction of knowing how.

Thanks.

[U]Sky and Sextant[/U] by Budlong

eBay. Look up Cassens & Plath, Frieberger, or Tamaya. No need to purchase a “beginner” sextant when most people selling them used either don’t know what they have or don’t care what they sell it for. Just like a fine camera, it’s all about the glass. A quality sextant will give you the best sight in almost any lighting every time.

Enjoy the journey. BTW I fully agree with your mindset. Standing a watch, why not fill the downtime with something that improves your skill set and brings you closer to understanding the generations of seamen that came before you.

It is certainly a good thing and also fun, to learn how to use a sextant. Even the US Navy realized this as they started to teach again the almost lost art of celestial navigation. However, to get a good star position fix requires a lot of training and experience. Start simple with ‘shooting’ the sun and plotting the position line on the chart. A radar bearing line for instance would help to get a fix. In this way you can immediately check the result with a GPS fix. You should improve your skills over time in this way. In due time you will also learn what your personal error is, well not everybody has one but most of us have.

The calculation method used until the 1980s was the Haversine Formula and Log Tables. Navigators on commercial ships used Sight Reduction Tables but most preferred the longer method in the interests of accuracy and flexibility. These days you can buy a pre-programmed Texas Instrument celestial calculator which simplifies the calculations enormously.

It is even possible to start the learning curve with a simple plastic lifeboat sextant.

This is my ancient sextant but still in excellent working condition with a very clear night glass.

[QUOTE=farmerfalconer;192780]I realize that many view the Sextant as completely unnecessary and frivolous these days but I personally see it as a good back up skill to have. You never know right?

So I’m looking for recommendations for “How To” books on celestial nav. And good quality “affordable” sextants for the beginner. This may have been covered in the past but I am unable to get the search to work properly.

Its something I’d like to learn so I can fiddle with it while towing offshore and while sailing in the future. Maybe not out of necessity but just for the satisfaction of knowing how.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I used Bowditch and Duttons.

Thanks guys. I’ve started looking on EBay for a deal. If anyone watching this thread has one far sale, feel free to pm me.

DamnYankee, Dutchie, agreed. Maybe a GPS is faster, but knowing you could find a position without it at all sounds very satisfying. Who knows, someday you may need it.

Kennebec, I have heard Bowditch referred to a lot. I’ll look for it.

Thanks again.

Jsyk, “Bowditch”'a real name is American Practical Navigator Volume’s I & II.

It’s worth getting both volumes in the big hardcover version if you can. If they come separate that would be best but still get both.

Also get the 1987(or whatever year it is) Nautical Almanac, that way you can practice with USCG test questions.

It’s tough to learn it straight out of a book. I’m sure there’s plenty of tutorials on line. I was privileged to start my career with great seamen. We were making deliveries to Canada and the North Sea in '70 and '71. I was given a paperback copy of “How to navigate today”. All of the vessels had American Practical Navigator, Duttons HO214, HO229, HO249. One old retired captain that sailed as mate brought his volumes of HO210.
Several of us 16 and 17 year old kids that showed interest were given the best schooling possible. We were started out doing azimuths and amplitudes. Then sun lines and LAN. Next was star identification. I bought an old Heath sextant in Peterhead Scotland and worked many fixes. Several of these old captains were pissed that I opted for the engine room. My original goal was radio officer but it was evident that was being phased out.
I’m sure there are many apps to make it easier. Learn it and enjoy the challenge.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;192809]I used Bowditch and Duttons.[/QUOTE]

Ron Jeremy, I mean Ron Burgundy agrees.

Those 2 texts, quite literally can take you around the world.

http://www.sandwichship.com/ For Bowditch and Duttons

They are not prohibitively expensive, and are a lifetime investment.

Baker Lyman In Metairie, La as well if you happen to be in that neck of the woods.

https://www.celestaire.com/ For Sextants

They often have used, but even with 30 year old sextants you only save a few hundred dollars. They are also a lifetime investment.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;192812]…Also get the 1987(or whatever year it is) Nautical Almanac, that way you can practice with USCG test questions.[/QUOTE]

It’s the 1981 edition. But, you don’t need that edition of Bowditch it to answer practice problems, the same tables are in all subsequent editions of Bowditch. The advantage of the '81 Bowditch is that it is the one you will be given to use fort the Coast Guard exam, and being familiar with the layout of it is beneficial.

American Practical Navigator. Be patient with Bowditch, sometimes it seems overwhelming, but everything you need to know is in there. H.O. 229 Sight Reduction Tables has a lot of useful help for sight reduction as well as azimuths and amplitudes. It’s also allowed in the exam room if you ever take the test and need a little help along the way.

Bowditch is the holy grail.

Thanks again Gents. I’ll definitely be moving forward on getting Bowditch and a Sextant the next time I feel like I have too much money. :smiley:

I think my thread title changed somehow on its own…

There is a small, concise book [U]Celestial Navigation for Yachtsmen[/U] by Mary Blewitt. At least the second edition by now. Less than $10. Don’t let the word “Yachtsmen” in the title deter you. :slight_smile:

Water,
Thanks. Ain’t got nothing 'gainst 'dem yachties anyhow. I’ll look it up.

here’s my favorite

While not as fancy as hard-copy, go to this website;

https://msi.nga.mil/NGAPortal/MSI.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=msi_portal_page_62&pubCode=0002
and
http://wow.uscgaux.info/content.php?unit=130-05-06&category=noaa-maps-resources
plus…
There was a website, part of NOAA I think, that had historical charts and publications. I don’t recall that site for sure, but it had several versions of Bowditch among other things, some going back quite some time. Interesting extra reading.

There’s plenty of other files as well that may be handy. Put it on a tablet computer of your choice. It’s free (except for your tax dollars, but they are going to something good).

As for practical, until you get a sextant go for doing sun azimuths and amplitudes as well as working on star/constellation identification. Just getting used to the twilight sky in your neck of the woods.