2000GRT=What?

I have been issued a 2nd Mate less than 2000 GRT and have a chance at a job on a 3707 GT vessel. I was sure I saw a USCG document that rated 2000GRT = 4000GT. I’ve done some searches but no avail.

What’s your STCW endorsement say about tonnage? That usually says something about GT.

USCG policy letter 11-12 says 2000grt and 4000gt are the minimum but only the grt is on my license. The boat in question is inland and not subject to STCW.

[QUOTE=Tcaptain;190076]USCG policy letter 11-12 says 2000grt and 4000gt are the minimum but only the grt is on my license. The boat in question is inland and not subject to STCW.[/QUOTE]

2000 GRT on your national license is supposed to equal 4000 GT on your STCW endorsement as OICNW.

Employers get very confused about GRT vs GT. Good luck.

[QUOTE=Tcaptain;190076]The boat in question is inland and not subject to STCW.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure it’s GT not GRT?

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;190155]Are you sure it’s GT not GRT?[/QUOTE]

I assume he’s talking about American Queen. Listed as 3707 gross tons on the website

coast guard psix lists her as 3,707 GRT & 10159 GT (ITC). So…

This doesn’t sound good, what is psix?Where do I find it?

[QUOTE=Tcaptain;190174]This doesn’t sound good, what is psix?Where do I find it?[/QUOTE]

http://cgmix.uscg.mil/PSIX/PSIXSearch.aspx

[QUOTE=Jamesbrown;190156]I assume he’s talking about American Queen. Listed as 3707 gross tons on the website

coast guard psix lists her as 3,707 GRT & 10159 GT (ITC). So…[/QUOTE]

That’s what I was getting at. Frequently companies don’t put the correct acronym things, especially a website. My ship’s stamp lists the GT as GRT (we have no GRT) so you have to be careful with these things.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;190229]That’s what I was getting at. Frequently companies don’t put the correct acronym things, especially a website. My ship’s stamp lists the GT as GRT (we have no GRT) so you have to be careful with these things.[/QUOTE]

I figured that was what you were getting at. The mate seemed clear on GT v GRT and since it was pretty obvious what kind of large inland vessel was his likely aforementioned job, I decided to just go ahead and lay it all out. And now he knows where to look vessels up himself for the data.

I knew there was a public database but not what it was called. Apparently few mariners have asked this question. Alas it looks like the only way to increase my very small tonnage limitation would be back to the deck. Thanks for the help fellow Mariners.

[QUOTE=Tcaptain;190247]I knew there was a public database but not what it was called. Apparently few mariners have asked this question. Alas it looks like the only way to increase my very small tonnage limitation would be back to the deck. Thanks for the help fellow Mariners.[/QUOTE]

Sorry about that. There isn’t really any way to remove that tonnage restriction except on large OSVs, hope the oilfield comes back soon.