200 ton NC test, Ocean Problems

I applied for 500 GL Master, 1600 GL Mate and 200 NC Mate. I received this yesterday.

Your application for this credential was approved for applicant testing on April 15, 2014. Prior to issuance you will be required to pass the following examinations: CHART NAVIGATION (90%), DECK GENERAL & DECK SAFETY (70%), DECK GENERAL + DECK SAFETY & ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION (70%), GREAT LAKES TOPICS (70%), NAVIGATION GENERAL (70%), NAVIGATION PROBLEMS - OCEANS (80%), and RULES OF THE ROAD (90%). You will receive a letter from the National Maritime Center detailing the exam procedures.

I was not expecting the Oceans Problems, is this new or just Ocean problems minus the Celestial?

The .doc I have found online listing requirements seems to be missing the NC Mate section.

That does not look right to me. Send them an email, they will answer you in a few days.

This is what I found explaining the testing requirements. Maybe they approved me for 200 Ocean Master?

EXAMINATION
STRUCTURE
SHEET
NO. 1-15
Endorsement - MASTER
Tonnage Group- NMT 200 GROSS REGISTERED TONS
Route- OCEANS
Action- INCREASE IN SCOPE (from NC)
EXAM CODE
22JI
MODULES NUMBER OF QUESTIONS MINIMUM SCORE

078XX Navigation Problems: Oceans 5 80%

• SERVICE REQUIREMENT 46CFR 11.424
  • LICENSING NOTES
    Applicants who wish to Increase the scope of a Master NMT 100 GRT Near Coastal to Master NMT 200 GRT
    Oceans must complete the requirements of ESS 1-14 AND 1-15.

EXAMINATION
STRUCTURE
SHEET
NO. 1-16
Endorsement - MATE /MASTER
Route- NEAR COASTAL
Action- INCREASE IN SCOPE (from Great Lakes & Inland
OR Inland)
EXAM CODE
27AD

054XX Rules of the Road: International and Inland 50 90%
011X3 Deck General 20 70
221XX Deck Safety and Environmental Protection 70 70%

• SERVICE REQUIREMENT for Master 46CFR 11.426
  • SERVICE REQUIREMENT for Mate 46CFR 11.427
    MCP-MA-NMC2-03(08) Deck and Engineering Guide Page 70

EXAMINATION
STRUCTURE
SHEET
NO. 1-17
Endorsement - MASTER
Route- OCEANS OR NEAR COASTAL
Action- RENEWAL
EXAM CODE
22RR

059XX Rules of the Road: International and Inland 30 90%
229XX Refresher Exercise 20 90%

• SERVICE REQUIREMENT 46CFR 10.227
  • LICENSING NOTES
    Renewal Modules are take home exams issued to the mariner by the Regional Exam Centers. It is recommended
    that completed exams must be returned to the Regional Exam Center for grading within thirty days in order to
    assure the exam cycle, including retakes, is completed within ninety days.

EXAMINATION
STRUCTURE
SHEET
NO. 1-18
Endorsement - MATE
Route- NEAR COASTAL
Action- ORIGINAL ISSUE
RAISE IN GRADE (from OUPV NC)
EXAM CODE
22KR

054XX Rules of the Road: International and Inland 50 90%
011X3 Deck General 20 70%
072X1 Navigation General 20 70%
221XX Deck Safety and Environmental Protection 70 70%
073XX Navigation Problems: Chart Plot 20 90%

• SERVICE REQUIREMENT 46CFR 11.427

Near Coastal Routes do NOT take Module 078XX
46CFR11.903(b): When Raising Grade from Mate NMT 200 GRT Near Coastal to Master NMT 200 GRT Near
Coastal no exam is required. When Raising Grade from Mate NMT 200 GRT Near Coastal to Master NMT 200 GRT
Oceans ONLY module 078XX is required.

Just called NMC and referenced the CFR’s for them. They realized the mistake and are rewriting the letter. I will not need to take the Ocean Problems test.

Now they sent this. So they are saying I need to take the same test 3 times? And another one twice?

011X3 DECK GENERAL & DECK SAFETY

054 RULES OF THE ROAD

073 CHART NAVIGATION

072X1 NAVIGATION GENERAL

251 DECK GENERAL + DECK SAFETY & ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION

221 DECK GENERAL + DECK SAFETY & ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION

257 GREAT LAKES TOPICS

261 DECK GENERAL + DECK SAFETY & ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION

267 GREAT LAKES TOPICS

I called again and this is it. These are the tests I need to take. I find it strange that I will have to take 3 versions of the same subject. How is it the GL module for 1600 doesn’t cover the material for 500 ton?

[QUOTE=seriously;135751]I called again and this is it. These are the tests I need to take. I find it strange that I will have to take 3 versions of the same subject. How is it the GL module for 1600 doesn’t cover the material for 500 ton?[/QUOTE]

You’re not being required to take the same test three times. You’re applying for three different endorsements, and they each have their own testing requirements. Just because the name of the module is the same doesn’t mean the stuff that’'s on the test is the same. The module for MATE 1600 tons doesn’t cover what you need to know for MASTER 500 Tons.

I recently was applying for 500ton master/1600 ton mate and decided to scrub the mates license because of the extra five modules I would have to sit for. I was under the impression it was all the same test material but technically only the ROTR module is the same.

I am going to start testing Monday.

I have some old material that says 500 Master GL and 1600 Mate GL do not have Stability Problems but the 200 ton Mate NC might as it is the same as the Masters. This is old study material though.

Does anyone know if I will be seeing “Stability Problems”?

P.S. I find the “Guidance Manual for loading the M.V. Grand Haven” easy to comprehend but hard to get an accurate answer from. Some questions want answers within 30 tons and the charts just aren’t that detailed.

9 modules finished. Passed.

There were a few basic stability problems in 500 ton. One free surface, one deck load and maybe one or two others. Great lakes for 500 master 1600 mate had no questions related to loading, maybe that is only for unlimited?

I am off to Radar recertification now.

[QUOTE=seriously;136276]9 modules finished. Passed.

There were a few basic stability problems in 500 ton. One free surface, one deck load and maybe one or two others. Great lakes for 500 master 1600 mate had no questions related to loading, maybe that is only for unlimited?

I am off to Radar recertification now.[/QUOTE]

Good show.

Congrats!