1st semester swimming assessment...?

Hi,

Wondering if anyone knows the specifics of the “swimming assessment” that is administered during orientation week at CMA?
Like xx yards in yy time using zz strokes…? Or what? Just trying to get a feel for what level of swimmer will pass this assessment
and then not be required to take the 1st semester Beginning/Intermediate Swimming Class ?

Thanks in advance!

lcx5

Pretty much everyone passes it so you should be fine if you can swim to one end of the pool.

[QUOTE=lcx5;71238]Hi,

Wondering if anyone knows the specifics of the “swimming assessment” that is administered during orientation week at CMA?
Like xx yards in yy time using zz strokes…? Or what? Just trying to get a feel for what level of swimmer will pass this assessment
and then not be required to take the 1st semester Beginning/Intermediate Swimming Class ?

Thanks in advance!

lcx5[/QUOTE]

If they are giving the standard STCW basic safety assessment, it’s no more than one length of the pool, any stroke, no time limit. The US minimum STCW standard is “While in the water wearing a life
jacket, the candidate will swim at least 20 feet.” They might look for alittle more than this minimum, but it’s probably not particularly onerous to anyone who is not aquaphobic.

Useless trivia: Penn State has a swimming test that is tougher than the minimum STCW standard. It resulted from a rash of drownings in Pennsylvania farm ponds. My wife had a stricter swimming test at PSU than I had a state maritime academy.

I remember at KP we had to demonstrate that we could swim a certain distance under the surface of the water-to simulate swimming under flaming oil.

I went through the first STCW/BST course at Piney Point. I was amazed at the number of seamen that could NOT swim. Some had been going to sea over 20 years.

The swim assessment is 4 laps ( a lap being one length of the pool), with what ever stroke they tell you. I think it was breast, back, side, whatever. and no time limit. if you can swim at all, you should be able to pass no problem. and you have to swim a little bit underwater. no set length, 5 feet is good enough.
What major are you going into?

Removed incorrect post.

thank you for the correction. I wasn’t sure…

1 length is 1 lap.

JPetru82 - Thanks. Yes, CMA published the orientation details last week, so we did see that the assessment is 4 lengths(25yds), breast, back, side, any…no time limit, but also no stopping. It is my son who is headed to CMA in a few weeks. We went down to the local pool last week to try it out, no problem. He is heading in as a MET major. Still working a flashlight question as the bookstore says they have one that is required(with red lens), but the orientation page shows that you need an “intrinsically safe” flashlight as well…bookstore said they have no idea. No biggie since I’m currently handing out money hand over fist… :slight_smile: This is my one year with 2 in college…

Sounds like you are there(CMA). Hope things are going well for you.

lcx5

yup, I’m going into my third year year as a MT cadet. I would not buy the flashlight at the book store. there is an army surplus store in Vallejo that sells a flashlight with red and green lens, much better. They also sell khaki dickies that we can wear at school. They are much more comfortable then the ones we are forced to buy at the book store. They are also much cheaper.
If you guys have any questions, feel free to PM me. I’ll also be there working “O” week.

That is apparently correct.

Well I guess all those years of competitive swimming taught me wrong then.

Funny. I agree that common sense and the dictionary indicate a lap would be 2 lengths(complete circuit), however I just got an email back from a buddy who was also a competitive swimmer and now manages Parks and Rec pools…his response oddly enough…

“Technically yes, 2 lengths is one lap. But………no one says it that way.
Everyone in the swimming world just calls one length of the pool a lap.”

Well I guess all of those years of competitive swimming taught me right then.

I concede the point. All I could find pointed to a swimming lap being one length. I was wrong.

So are we required to have flashlights with red lenses?

Thanks

You need to purchase one by next summer to bring with you on cruise. .

How could any kid going to a maritime academy be concerned about being able to pass the swimming test? For Christ’s sake join the YMCA and start swimming every morning, within a few weeks you should be swimming half a mile. Even us old guys can do that.

we have a hand full every year that don’t pass, usually it’s engineers for some reason.