1st. Assistant Engineer Testing Advice

All, I’m currently kicking around the idea of upgrading from Chief Eng. Limited Oceans to 1st. Assistant Unlimited.

After talking with several writers of study software it appears as though I can test under either the old (pre March 2014) standards or the new. It is my understanding that the test question database is different for each. Can anyone give any insight as to which is the easiest route?

I’ve always tested under the old regs., and have zero knowledge of the new. All I can seem to gather is that the study material for the new tests feature far less questions. But that is it. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

[QUOTE=Cajun Guy;196339]All, I’m currently kicking around the idea of upgrading from Chief Eng. Limited Oceans to 1st. Assistant Unlimited.

After talking with several writers of study software it appears as though I can test under either the old (pre March 2014) standards or the new. It is my understanding that the test question database is different for each. Can anyone give any insight as to which is the easiest route?

I’ve always tested under the old regs., and have zero knowledge of the new. All I can seem to gather is that the study material for the new tests feature far less questions. But that is it. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. [/QUOTE]

I was approved to test for mine under the old regs and database of questions. But didn’t actually test until after the new ones came into affect. I wondered the same thing and called the NMC to ask. They told me to only focus on the Old…which I did. So I was completely twisted when I had a combination of BOTH. Just my experience but I would recommend to be prepared for the same…

[QUOTE=Wrench;196344]I was approved to test for mine under the old regs and database of questions. But didn’t actually test until after the new ones came into affect. I wondered the same thing and called the NMC to ask. They told me to only focus on the Old…which I did. So I was completely twisted when I had a combination of BOTH. Just my experience but I would recommend to be prepared for the same…[/QUOTE]

Wrench, how long ago did you test?

When you say you had a combination of both, do you mean the actual test questions were pulled from both the new and old question banks?

I tested in January under old rules. I had what I believed to be a mix of both. Not many new ones I don’t think, but at least a few. My understanding Is that the new banks are WAY smaller and you may opt to test under new if you wish. I am not 100% sure though (about 97%).

[QUOTE=Cajun Guy;196363]Wrench, how long ago did you test?

When you say you had a combination of both, do you mean the actual test questions were pulled from both the new and old question banks?[/QUOTE]

I tested in Oct '14. I focused on the old question bank because they told me to and briefly studied some of the new questions. But my tests had questions from both banks.

[QUOTE=Cajun Guy;196339]All, I’m currently kicking around the idea of upgrading from Chief Eng. Limited Oceans to 1st. Assistant Unlimited.

Thanks in advance. [/QUOTE]

It’s more involved than old and new questions. There were significant changes to the subjects that are tested, compare 46 CFR 11.950 for the new and the old to see the chnages. Whether you find the new exams easier or harder depends on how well you knew the stuff that was dropped and how well you know what was added.

I was approved to test under the new regs, held chief limited oceans, any HP for the past 20 years or so, after approval I ordered MA for 1st and chief for seatime after 3/24/14, test was easy for me because most of the material I do everyday, electrical had a lot of diesel electric, been chief on a DE boat for the past 5 years, also a lot of management queations, I started testing at 0745 and completed the 5th module at 1115,

How long ago did you test, Luis? And how’d you like the MA material? Would you recommend it to others or something else?

Tested on the 3rd of this month, received my new book last week. MA was pretty good, almost every question on the test was on the drive, I went through Motor Plants and Safety one time and General and Electric three times, I found the test incredibly easy.

1 Like

Great. Thanks for the feedback.