1600T Master upgrade question

What is the sea time and testing requirement for upgrading from 1600T Mate to Master 1600T. Did not receive license from academy or USCG approved program.

The CFR’s or the NMC’s website will tell you

Thanks Dave…asking for the mate I’m on watch with. Looked em up too as was suggested to my lazy ass lol!

The NMC recently changed the seatime requirements for this license. Used to be 1080 days. That was less than a couple of months ago. I logged on yesterday and saw 1440 days now. That is another 360 days tacked on.

My bad that was for 1600 master. Sorry for any confusion.

[QUOTE=NeedleGunNazi;87040]The NMC recently changed the seatime requirements for this license. Used to be 1080 days. That was less than a couple of months ago. I logged on yesterday and saw 1440 days now. That is another 360 days tacked on.[/QUOTE]

NMC cannot change sea time requirements, and policy is made at CG HQ. Sea time requirements are in the CFR and must go through a rulemaking process to change.

Can someone please tell me what A USCG approved program is. I am confused on this new checklist I am currently a 1600 mate and by my understanding is that I can get a raise of grade to master with 360 days of seatime with or without testing I am not sure. Please correct me if I am wrong also I do not have updated CFRs yet so this is not laziness thank you.

[QUOTE=MIKEZ76SP;87266]Can someone please tell me what A USCG approved program is. I am confused on this new checklist I am currently a 1600 mate and by my understanding is that I can get a raise of grade to master with 360 days of seatime with or without testing I am not sure. Please correct me if I am wrong also I do not have updated CFRs yet so this is not laziness thank you.[/QUOTE]

It is a comprehensive program that provides all training, assessment, and sea time. The academies are an obvious example, but there are others, for Mate 500/1600 GRT, the PMI workboat program is an example.

There is testing going from Mate 1600 to Master 1600.

The reference to an approved program in the NMC checklist provides clarity on how the existing, ubnchanged CFR requirements for Master 500/1600 apply to someone who went through a mate 500/1600 progrtam. It didn’t chnage pr create policy, and is consistent with current, long-standing regulations. It was added to the NMC checklist for the benefit of NMC evaluators.