1600GRT Mate to 3rd Mate retest

Today my evaluator called to tell me that despite testing for and receiving Mate 1600 NC last November I would need to retest to receive 3rd Mate. She mentioned a new NVIC but I didn’t catch the number. Searching on captain as well as google and the USCG NVIC page has not yielded much. Has anyone heard of this change?

[QUOTE=Tcaptain;168407]Today my evaluator called to tell me that despite testing for and receiving Mate 1600 NC last November I would need to retest to receive 3rd Mate. She mentioned a new NVIC but I didn’t catch the number. Searching on captain as well as google and the USCG NVIC page has not yielded much. Has anyone heard of this change?[/QUOTE]

See the note titled “Increase in Scope” on the bottom of page 14 here This is the “new” exam guide that coincided with the publication of the various recent STCW NVICs, including NVIC 12-14 for OICNW.

You can ask NMC for a “reconsideration” (use that word) of their decision that you have to test. If after reconsideration they uphold their original decision, you can appeal to CG HQ.

• Increase in Scope: Applicants Increasing Scope from Mate Less than 500-1600 GRT to Third Mate on the same route may do so without further examination

For those of you on mobile etc.

Which tug outfits requires 3rd Mates license

[QUOTE=Tugslasthitch;168426]Which tug outfits requires 3rd Mates license[/QUOTE]

US shipping, with those silly ATB’S despite the law not requiring one. Doesn’t crowley in some cases?

Those mates don’t even handle the boat either.

[QUOTE=Tugted;168438]Those mates don’t even handle the boat either.[/QUOTE]

yes which makes the joke even funnier!

What’s there to handle most have assist boats in and out from the dock, im sure half couldn’t back up to a barge make up tow gear, then round back up

They couldn’t even handle the boat with an assist boat or boats. They are seabouy & cargo mates.

The industry is moving toward this.

So, reading the note, it appears to address exactly the OP’s question. Why must we routinely go through the hassle and delay of request for reconsideration and appeal? Why, for the love of God, can’t NMC evaluators, who are allegedly the subject matter experts, get it right the first time? NMC is an organization desperately in need of some process improvement. I say that as someone whose last application took SEVEN MONTHS and a congressional inquiry to straighten out. Even then, what they finally issued was incorrect. Had to be taken away from my evaluator a third time, kicked up to a different team, etc. None of us use NMC because we want to – we do it because we are required by law to, and evaluators’ errors, recalcitrance, ignorance, stupidity, inability to read plain English or to the end of a section – whatever the issue is – ends up costing us time and significant amounts of money.

One simple rule would fix this. The USCG should get 30 days to complete processing an application, and then be required to pay the mariner $10 per day for each day of additional delay. This would put some pressure to perform on the evaluators. 95 percent of applications would get processed within 30 days. Poor performing evaluators would be retrained, transferred, or fired, not become unaccountable entrenched know nothings and do nothings for decades.

No just some companies.

More and more companies. Part of it is ISM, part insurance, and part company getters. Once a couple companies start using assist boats and pilots there is pressure for everyone to do so. Mostly, they don’t want to pay to attract, train and retain skilled new talent. The current East Coast system requires four guys per boat that are actually capable of running the boat (two crews per boat). They can cut that to two skilled guys. Also, they are not willing to offer competitive pay to keep their mates when the next oil patch boom comes along. If they make the job easy enough, mates become easy to replace.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;168496]More and more companies. Part of it is ISM, part insurance, and part company getters. Once a couple companies start using assist boats and pilots there is pressure for everyone to do so. Mostly, they don’t want to pay to attract, train and retain skilled new talent. The current East Coast system requires four guys per boat that are actually capable of running the boat (two crews per boat). They can cut that to two skilled guys. Also, they are not willing to offer competitive pay to keep their mates when the next oil patch boom comes along. If they make the job easy enough, mates become easy to replace.[/QUOTE]

I agree here, it’s not exactly a news flash that a new unlimited third mate has no usefull skills to speak of. Someone asked me how much training did a new third mate get before they took the watch. Lots of guys think that they are only good seaward of the sea buoy but after the pilot gets off I turn the watch over to the mate while the sea buoy is still forward of the beam and stay on the bridge to see how quick they figure out a turn is coming up and watch how they handle the turn. It usually shakes them up a bit. If you do it for them once, after they’ve been standing watch for a couple days and learn where all the buttons and switches are they become less teachable.

Found it, i’ll wait until I get my letter and send it my request for “reconsideration”. Thank You

[QUOTE=jdcavo;168417]See the note titled “Increase in Scope” on the bottom of page 14 here This is the “new” exam guide that coincided with the publication of the various recent STCW NVICs, including NVIC 12-14 for OICNW.

You can ask NMC for a “reconsideration” (use that word) of their decision that you have to test. If after reconsideration they uphold their original decision, you can appeal to CG HQ.[/QUOTE]

“* Increase in Scope: Applicants Increasing Scope from Mate Less than 500-1600 GRT to Third Mate on the same route may do so without further examination”

[QUOTE=Tcaptain;168407]Today my evaluator called to tell me that despite testing for and receiving Mate 1600 NC last November I would need to retest to receive 3rd Mate. She mentioned a new NVIC but I didn’t catch the number. Searching on captain as well as google and the USCG NVIC page has not yielded much. Has anyone heard of this change?[/QUOTE]

Sent a request for “reconsideration” based on page 14 of the current exam guide. We will see.