1600 Mate NC: Do oilfield boats use mates?

Im sitting in Fouchon watching it rain… well pour. Im an AB and was wondering if I went to the time and bucks to get a 1600 mate NC license would it be worth anything?

Do any of those orange boats use mates or is everyone on the bridge a 1600 ton Master Oceans?

Bob

there are a few questions here but I’ll do my best:

1. a professional mariner will always benefit from upgrading their license/qualifications; the benefit to their career may not be immediate but it will happen. if one is not a “professional mariner” but only doing this work while passing through, the cost benefit of upgrading (your “time and bucks”) may not work out in favor of upgrading, save your money for what you have planned.
  2. All those “orange boats” have mates on their crew, in louisiana’s bad economy though they may all have licenses as masters but working as mates. a guy with a 1600 NC can get a job.

my advice: if you are in this industry as a career then spend your “time & bucks” to upgrade, who knows - you may end up on one of those “orange boats” eventually.

Good answer Richard8000. With the economy the way it is, try to advance to the highest level of license you qualify for. If you can sit for an oceans license do that rather than just NC. Don’t limit yourself. The more good stuff you have on paper, the better you look to a prospective employer. BTW, those “orange boats” would be from Edison Chouest Inc. Their main office is in Galliano. I haven’t worked for them, but they have been around and seem to have all their stuff in one seabag. Good luck Bob.

Get a Mate OSV

[QUOTE=bob;26464]Im sitting in Fouchon watching it rain… well pour. Im an AB and was wondering if I went to the time and bucks to get a 1600 mate NC license would it be worth anything?

Do any of those orange boats use mates or is everyone on the bridge a 1600 ton Master Oceans?

Bob[/QUOTE]

I can tell how much looking out a window and wondering is worth.

Huh . . It’s not raining here at the office in Galliano :-p

[QUOTE=Captain Electron!!;26516]Huh . . It’s not raining here at the office in Galliano :-p[/QUOTE]

Have you finished in the training center yet?

Well did you get hired?

Bob,
This doesn’t sound like you. Looking out that rain splattered window must have you depressed. :frowning: Get with the program man. You can do it and it will return big dividends to you at some point. Hopefully sooner than later for all of us.:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=10talents;26531]Bob,
This doesn’t sound like you. Looking out that rain splattered window must have you depressed. :frowning: Get with the program man. You can do it and it will return big dividends to you at some point. Hopefully sooner than later for all of us.:)[/QUOTE]

Yeah 10 , it doesn’t sound like him at all…

Bob, 10 T is right, go make your own destiny, you are the only one stopping yourself from success…It’s easy to talk yourself out of all the classes and of course the money…But hey, better you spend it on your self than the Government spending it for you…:wink:

Thanks everyone… Darn do I sound melancholy?!?
Lets try this: Arrr !

Im wrapping up my first year as an AB here in the oilpatch and looking back its been a hoot! Now time to consider whats next. I really dont want to be a career AB and am looking at the OICNW 1600 mate route as apposed to the 100 master route. But Im also a practical type. So the question is, whats the likely hood of getting hired on at Chouest (et al) as a 1600 ton mate NC?

Does EC actually use mates or do they prefer a 1600 master and sail them as a mate?

Optimistically yours,
Bob

IMO the best deal for you would be to get hired as an AB and go through the Chouest training program. From what I have seen and heard they have a nice setup for training their own. Maybe some of the Orange Boat guys could weigh in here.

Only one sure way to find out…Stop in and see Nicky and ask him…

You will find that Nicky has traveled some and doesn’t think us West Coast guys are inbred and ignorant, so thats a big plus…:wink:

[QUOTE=bob;26540]Thanks everyone… Darn do I sound melancholy?!?

Im raping up my first year as an AB here in the oilpatch and looking back its been a hoot! Now time to consider whats next. I really dont want to be a career AB and am looking at the OICNW 1600 mate route as apposed to the 100 master route. But Im also a practical type. So the question is, whats the likely hood of getting hired on at Chouest (et al) as a 1600 ton mate NC?

Does EC actually use mates or do they prefer a 1600 master and sail them as a mate?

Optimistically yours,
Bob[/QUOTE]

First of all, the OICNW 1600 ton route is not the way to go. If I were you, I would get with Nicky now, and say you will take an OS position to get your foot in the door, anything. Chances are 99%, if this tactic will get you in the front door, you will be hired as AB. I will be looking for 2 ABs in the next 2 to 4 weeks, for the Dino Chouest, when the rotations come up for the guys that recently left because they wanted to go on an Alaska boat (at least that’s what they think till they get there).
Then, I would start on the Mate OSV with 6,000 ton endorsement and utilize the free school at Chouest.
There are no preferences in licenses over others just because one being over the other in tonnage, or scope. It comes down to the person and my trust in him. I’ve had unlimited masters that I would not even loan my baseball glove to on one hand, and Mate OSVs that I have no problem with conning the vessel while I’m down on the other.

[QUOTE=10talents;26551]IMO the best deal for you would be to get hired as an AB and go through the Chouest training program. From what I have seen and heard they have a nice setup for training their own. Maybe some of the Orange Boat guys could weigh in here.[/QUOTE]

LOL. Half the guys that responded to this post are Orange boat guys.

I’m doing the operator training this next week . . I’ve been her since Wednesday . . I drove down to PF this morning - Jeesh how things change . .

[quote=anchorman;26567]First of all, the OICNW 1600 ton route is not the way to go. If I were you, I would get with Nicky now, and say you will take an OS position to get your foot in the door, anything. Chances are 99%, if this tactic will get you in the front door, you will be hired as AB. I will be looking for 2 ABs in the next 2 to 4 weeks, for the Dino Chouest, when the rotations come up for the guys that recently left because they wanted to go on an Alaska boat (at least that’s what they think till they get there).
Then, I would start on the Mate OSV with 6,000 ton endorsement and utilize the free school at Chouest.
There are no preferences in licenses over others just because one being over the other in tonnage, or scope. It comes down to the person and my trust in him. I’ve had unlimited masters that I would not even loan my baseball glove to on one hand, and Mate OSVs that I have no problem with conning the vessel while I’m down on the other.[/quote]

As a former Crowley guy with both Valdez and quite a few years of other assorted Alaska experience, I can say that you will almost certainly be seeing your wayward AB’s back in warmer climates again . .

[quote=seadog6608;26486] BTW, those “orange boats” would be from Edison Chouest Inc. quote]

Edison Chouest Offshore LLC

AKA: ECO

http://www.chouest.com/

[quote=bob;26540]Thanks everyone… Darn do I sound melancholy?!?

Im wrapping up my first year as an AB here in the oilpatch and looking back its been a hoot! Now time to consider whats next. I really dont want to be a career AB and am looking at the OICNW 1600 mate route as apposed to the 100 master route. But Im also a practical type. So the question is, whats the likely hood of getting hired on at Chouest (et al) as a 1600 ton mate NC?

Optimistically yours,
Bob[/quote]

Hey Old Man,

I don’t think they care one way or the other as long as the boat is covered. There is a pay difference between 1600 Mate and Master. When I upgraded from 100 ton master to 500 ton master there was a 1600 ton mate that spent a lot of time with me and helped me out a lot. Even though he was showing me, I was actually making more because I had the master license. I think these guys are right, though. You need to go Mate OSV route and then Master OSV. It will bypass all the STCW requirements for unrestricted 1600 ton Mate. Your plan is to be on OSV’s anyway. It is also your quickest route to the money. If that stuff is important to you. If you get on at ECO and show the drive you have shown at Oceaneering, get the OMSA Mate OSV sign off book, you will have your license in a year’s time or sooner. Chouest offers all required OSV classes there at their training center available to you immediately upon hire. I know you are the kind of guy that can make it happen. Good Luck.