13 year old felony conviction

If someone was convicted of possession of cocaine 13 years ago but finished their probation of two years and has had no problems renewing the TWIC and there captain license since then , do you believe it will be a hard to get a job with companies like ECO and Harvey or big companies like that? Does the length time make a difference? I know to be honest and tell them. Please give me some advice…

The more pertinent question would be “What type of investigative background checks do workboat companies conduct on employment candidates and what type of records are searched?” I cannot imagine why anyone would wish to voluntarily share sensitive and personal information that would not otherwise be unearthed. I doubt that these employers are doing exhaustive background searches as I’ve seen their HR “professionals” to be lacking, generally. Perhaps some board members can shed some light on what background records would get searched. My sense is that you probably have nothing to worry about.

I cannot comment on GOM companies. However; where I work, we do fingerprint based background checks, and EVERYTHING must be disclosed. Even 40 yr old speeding tickets.

In the end, it doesn’t matter what the conviction was, just that you told us about it. You tell us, you get hired; you don’t tell, then you don’t get hired.

A lot of applications do have a section wanting to know about felonies and/or misdemeanors…how well do they do a background check in regards to the answer who knows? If it was years ago and resolved, one would hope it shouldn’t be a factor, unless having some type of secret clearance for a government contract was a condition of employment maybe? If companies regularly had that high of a standard there would be an awful lot of boats tied up.

[QUOTE=Sharkbite;148821]If someone was convicted of possession of cocaine 13 years ago but finished their probation of two years and has had no problems renewing the TWIC and there captain license since then , do you believe it will be a hard to get a job with companies like ECO and Harvey or big companies like that? Does the length time make a difference? I know to be honest and tell them. Please give me some advice…[/QUOTE]

Here is my advice: Hire a good lawyer at a firm that does both criminal and employment law. Get his advice, then follow it.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;148834]Here is my advice: Hire a good lawyer at a firm that does both criminal and employment law. Get his advice, then follow it.[/QUOTE]

…or just build a bonfire and shovel your $ into it.

I am pretty sure that most companies do a “soft background” ( I think that’s what it’s called) and it only goes back 7 years. This is also why the TWIC and license weren’t a problem. So I don’t think they will find out.
Good luck!! If you record has been clean for that long I think you deserve a chance, but that’s my personal opinion!!

One day’s pay would buy a background check and some pretty good advice about the best way to handle whatever is, or isn’t, in the background check. That seems like a better investment than going off half-cocked on the basis of free internet advice. A good lawyer also could advise about whether in might be possible to obtain a pardon, or expunge or seal the record, etc.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;148845] A good lawyer also could advise about whether in might be possible to obtain a pardon, or expunge or seal the record, etc.[/QUOTE]

WTF is this bullshit? Okay, I get it: you watch a lot of Law and Order on USA Network. I think that’s super. However, the OP is neither a minor getting sentenced in juvenile court, nor is he a major political donor ( I’m guessing). We’re talking about a 13 year-old low level drug conviction and getting a job at an effing work boat company. He’s not trying to get Top Secret DoD Clearance to work in an advanced weapons research lab. You should hurry back to your den now; the commercials are almost over.

In the immortal words of Arlo Guthrie:

" Have you rehabilitated yourself?"

[QUOTE=tugsailor;148845]… That seems like a better investment than going off half-cocked on the basis of free internet advice. A good lawyer also could advise about whether in might be possible to obtain a pardon, or expunge or seal the record, etc.[/QUOTE]

Gee, like the kind you are doling out for free?

Relying on the quality of a sealed or expunged record for any conviction, be it felony or not, is no way to go about job shopping. Checking “No” for any felony convictions or arrests (let alone a DUI) on any job application for any company, let alone a bayou boat operator, is not a wise move. Just because you’ve paid to have it removed and some lawyer or rough equivalent thereof tells you it’s all sorted quite frequently doesn’t mean it has worked it’s way through all the systems between state and federal.

A query from a potential employer as to why someone answered “no” in one of those important boxes when in fact their background check says otherwise is not going to go well the applicant’s reply is, “That’s supposed to be sealed/expunged.”

I think there are more than a few guys out here (in one credentialed mariner capacity or another) in the GOM with worse convictions and time served than a 13 yr old coke charge.

I say just be honest, fill out the application entirely, and find out company by company.

It probably says ''have you ever…" on the job app and if he is caught lying it may be worse… I think I’d mark “yes, 13 yrs. ago” and not elaborate unless asked verbally… another thing, If you are 32 yrs. old they might think you’re still susceptible to running into a snow storm so you might fib anyway, but again… the only thing worse than a liar is a thief!!