Past Mistakes

I am 40 year old male that has until recently always worked and supported my family. The field I am in (the IT field) has gotten extremely flooded with competition willing to take half of what the salary requirements should be. I recently got laid off and am interested in a complete career change; I have found myself getting more and more interested in becoming a Merchant Marine.

I have the unfortunate disadvantage of hanging out and getting involved with the wrong type of friends at a young age. At the age of 18, I was arrested for drug possession and was incarcerated for a year. I completed my year and was released from parole early for good behavior. I have never been in trouble with the law before or since, and I have received a Certificate of Relief from the state of New York. This certificate allows my to hold just about any job other than Law Enforcement or Political office, I can even vote. I have worked in several positions that require background checks; a bank, juvenile detention homes, NY state psychiatric hospital, etc.

My question; will a previous drug felony that took place over 20 years ago at the age of 18 keep me from getting a job at sea. Also does anyone have a list of websites and especially phone numbers that I can use to get started?

Thanks to anyone who can help me with my questions. And please do not judge me for the mistakes made as a stupid youth.

No. If its over ten years it wont even be looked at. This was just brought up the other day on another thread. See this thread… http://gcaptain.com/forum/maritime-employment/4741-mmd-drug-felony.html

It was under the “maritime employment” forum

Talk to your friendly neighborhood <ACRONYM title=“United States Coast Guard”>USCG</ACRONYM> REC about getting a MMC and an STCW Cercificate endorsed for OS, Wiper, SD (FH) and the TSA folks about getting a TWIC card. Make liberal use of Google on these initials for fuller explainations; and search the threads on this forum, this has been discussed many times.

Check 'em out:
http://www.thenewhawsepipe.com/index.html
http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/

Thanks for all your help you guys are great - God Bless

Just remember you won’t be a Merchant Marine, but you will be in the merchant marine as a Merchant Mariner. Well, if things go your way, that is.

You can look it up in the CFR I think it would be 46 cfr but it could also be under 33. In one of them it says you can work on a ship 7 years after you commit a homicide.Lol.

[QUOTE=megabite;31130]You can look it up in the CFR I think it would be 46 cfr but it could also be under 33. In one of them it says you can work on a ship 7 years after you commit a homicide.Lol.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is in 46 CFR. But 7 years is the minimum so would probably only apply for your first homicide. The max is 20 years.

It would be (at least) 7 years from when (if) you are released from prison after you commit a homicide. The reckoning date is release from incarceration. It’s only from the date of conviction if there was no incarceration.

There are two separate issues that may have to be addressed depending upon the facts of your case.
46 CFR 10.211 has two separate sections dealing with drug [U]use[/U]. 10.211(g) is the assessment period for convictions that everyone else has touched on. There is also 46 CFR 10.211(f) which is based on statute (46 USC 7503). “No one who has ever been the user of, or addicted to the use of a dangerous drug, …is eligible for an MMC, unless he or she furnishes satisfactory evidence of suitability for service in the merchant marine as provided in paragraph (l) of this section.” 46 CFR 10.211(f). If your situation involves use or addiction to dangerous drugs, look at 46 CFR 10.211(l).