100 Ton upgrade requirements for 350 Ton Boat

To all:

Currently I have a Master 100 Ton. By next June I will be the Captain for a new 330 Ton Power Boat.
The Boat will operate in the US and Europe.
What courses and training are required in order to upgrade my license?

I have just joined this Forum. I did look for similiar links but did not find any that fit my license questions.
Thank you.

Captain Byron

What kind of boat doing what? A little more info would help.

Nemo

Thank you for your post.
The boat will be a power boat. It is being built for a private owner. He intends to use the boat for pleasure for a couple of years then explore placing the boat into charter work.
It will be 115 feet, all steel with Aluminum Super Structure.

Sailor,

My understanding is that if the boat is not “for hire”…in other words, you’re not carrying people or cargo for money, you don’t need a license. If the owner decides to charter the boat, as in people paying him for the boat and him paying you to run it, I believe you’ll need a 500 ton ticket. And if that’s the case, in addition, you’ll need full STCW certification to run it past near coastal waters, i.e. outside of 200 miles.

You’ll have to check the specific country’s regs to be sure over there.

I’m certainly no authority on these matters, but there are people on this board that are. Somebody will come in with good information. They always do…usually to correct ME!:o I don’t mind a bit. I take direction well.

Good luck,

Nemo

I understand the insurance company will require a licensed Captain.

Now you’ve gotten completely out of my limited area of knowledge! An insurance company may require an Unlimited Oceans and a ticket to fly the Shuttle.

You can run a 180 ft. crew boat in the Gulf with a 100 ton license (I mean legally; it doesn’t mean you can get it done).

These companies may be “self-insured”. I truly don’t know. But somebody else will chime in.

Nemo

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists/MLD-FM-REC-111_Master_500-1600_Oceans-NC.pdf
Sailor
Here is the link for USCG checklist & requirements for 500 GRT license . Depending on where the vessel is flagged ,will also dictate what certificated reguirements must be met.If you have just basic 100 ton master you have a long way to go and alot of money to spend.Some of the things you will need is AB,radar Unlimited BST,STCW, Flashing Light,Advanced Fire Fighting ,Medical care Provider,CPR,Celestial For Oceans
BRM,FCC MROP,Maybe GMDSS if equiped .And about a year of your time .

sailor100,
From whom did you get your 350ton figure. Seems a little high to me, are there similar vessels already? There are some pretty big vessels around that don’t break 100tons.
Which country will it be flagged in and who will classify it? There several types of tonnage, I’d check to make sure you’re referring to the correct one. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonnage

WRT to a higher scope of license I believe I’ve read that you can increase at 50 ton increments by working on incrementally larger vessels.

[QUOTE=sailor100;16322]To all:

Currently I have a Master 100 Ton. By next June I will be the Captain for a new 330 Ton Power Boat.
The Boat will operate in the US and Europe.
What courses and training are required in order to upgrade my license?

I have just joined this Forum. I did look for similiar links but did not find any that fit my license questions.
Thank you.

Captain Byron[/QUOTE]

As previously posted, it really depends on where the vessel will be flagged. My guess is that it will be one of the “red flag” states. Talk to the owner and insurance company to get more info.
Are you also going to be in charge of vessel operations? If so, I highly recommend you start digging into international rules, look up everything you can about yacht regs and find a contact to talk to that represents the flag state. Good luck.

Or with recency on appropriate size vessels you can increase it faster…example 50 ton master ,360 days while holding a license …Works on a 210 Ton vessel…for 180 days…Gets his 50 bumped up to 200 with the additional testing , 720 days, 25 % on of the highest tonnage…

[quote=Jeffrox;16506]sailor100,
From whom did you get your 350ton figure. Seems a little high to me, are there similar vessels already? There are some pretty big vessels around that don’t break 100tons.
Which country will it be flagged in and who will classify it? There several types of tonnage, I’d check to make sure you’re referring to the correct one. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonnage

WRT to a higher scope of license I believe I’ve read that you can increase at 50 ton increments by working on incrementally larger vessels.[/quote]

If foreign flagged you can probably use the 500 ITC part of the US 200-ton license.

However, the insurance company may require that they approve the individual person.

I doubt the owner was interested in all the “manipulations” to get the boat down below 100 GRT. The crew boats have a lot of void space and cram the crew into little rooms with a bunch of empty space behind the walls to get a low GRT calculation. This boat was built for creature comforts. So if he is using Regulatory Tonnage he is not taking advantage of putting a tonnage frame here and a tonnage door there, this space is called this, that space is called that.
Anyway back to the original question if it is not Regualtory Tonnage and is ITC, you should only have to take a partial exam to get your 200 GRT with 500 ITC. You’ll also have to do all the Basic STCW and a couple more classes. Find out about if you’ll need Oceans. This would be the most painless route. But if you are eligible for more and have the time, go for as big as you can qualify. Start by looking in 46 CFR 10 and find out what you can. There are a lot of links on the Coast Guard’s website for STCW requirements. It can get pretty thick and tangled with all the regulations, stipulations, interpretations, etc, etc. So welcome to the crowd.