100 ton license and diagnosis of bipolar

I’m currently going to sea school for a 6 pack license with an upgrade to 100 ton. I’m starting to worry about the medical review with having been diagnosed as having bipolar 5 years ago. In the past year I obtained a OS credential and had no problems passing the medical review after a letter from the doctor. I know the two credentisls are completely different but the disorder had been well controlled over the past 5 years and Im pretty set on making the maritime industry my career. Any help or insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I sailed with a lot of bipolar captains when I sailed. I thought it was a requirement. Not sure if they were officially diagnosed, though.

Don’t worry buddy, you’ll fit right in. To make sure you rise to the top, though, you may want to get them to add narcisistic personality disorder.

In all seriousness, there is a document on the NMC website (under the medical section) that outlines what reviews have to be taken (and criteria) for various conditions, from high blood pressure and herniated disks to depression, etc. That might be a good place to start. You can probably make the process quicker by scheduling an appointment with your own psychiatrist (or psychologist?) and getting a letter stating the current status of the disease.

[QUOTE=Seaya2014;152662]I’m currently going to sea school for a 6 pack license with an upgrade to 100 ton. I’m starting to worry about the medical review with having been diagnosed as having bipolar 5 years ago. In the past year I obtained a OS credential and had no problems passing the medical review after a letter from the doctor. I know the two credentisls are completely different but the disorder had been well controlled over the past 5 years and Im pretty set on making the maritime industry my career. Any help or insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

See page 28 of Enclosure (3) to NVIC 04-08. When you apply, you will need to provide:

Psychiatrist or clinical psychologist clinical status report documenting the diagnosis (DSM Axis I)
and addressing any disturbances of thought, recurrent episodes, and psychotropic medication(s)
to include documenting the period of use, name and dosage of any medication(s) and side-effects.

The Master 100 course takes the place of the Coast Guard exam. You can apply without it, and if you meet all other requirements other than testing, including medical, you can be approved to test for the endorsement., You can then take the course and use it instead of taking the Coast Guard test. By applying first you can get a definitive answer on the medical issue before taking the course.

Haha. I have worked with many myself. Bi polor captains that is. I know people that have told their doctor they are on certain kinds of blood pressure medicine that the Coast Guard wouldn’t let fly. One Captain had to have it changed, but it pain in the ass because it delayed his application.

I have seen a few different personality disorders in my career so far. I’m not sure how the USCG looks at it but from my experience when shit hits that fan being “normal” doesn’t mean that you will be able to keep you cool and effectively handle emergencies that may arise.
You just have to make sure that you can handle yourself when shit hits the fan because if there is one thing I have learned from passenger boats (I have operated almost every type of them), its that shit will hit the fan and you will be responsible to fix it