Any insight on ENG1 or STCW95 and having bi polar disorder

Does anybody have any insight or helpful info on how the coast guard veiw people with a mental illness such as bi polar? Im aware that there are some strict procedures that go along with applying for any credentials having any of the conditions that they list. Im 24 years old and have been working on a tour boat that stays in the harbor for the past two years and have really wanted to make a career in the industry and apply for an stcw95 and eng1 to be able to apply for a deckhand positions on a motor yacht. I was diagnosed bi polar 4 years ago and have was hospitalized prior to be diagnosed.It has been well controlled over the past 4 years from taking a low dosage of medication, by not drinking and other healthy lifestyle changes. Any help would be greatly appreciated on this.
Thanks

[QUOTE=Seaya2014;127845]Does anybody have any insight or helpful info …?[/QUOTE]

Try this for starters: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&ved=0CF8QFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.esc.cam.ac.uk%2Fesc%2Ffiles%2FPersonal%2Fhcah2%2FJC089%2Fmedical%20and%20eye%20exam%20standards.pdf&ei=S37NUvaPLNHLkAeCwYDAAg&usg=AFQjCNEIZ6SAjLsgbcuqQq7ljjtZcQQGSQ

Page 18 at the bottom.

Your best bet for information you can depend on is to contact the MCA directly or a physician who is authorized to issue an ENG1. Any other source is a crap shoot and will probably lead you far astray.

So long as your regular doctor approves of the lifestyle and its effects on you, it shouldn’t be a problem. That is if as you say that you have been stable and are on the low dose. The hospitalization part may be an issue.You have unusual/mixed up hours and as you know, getting enough rest is very important for us. I was never hospitalized and am on a low dose (300m Lam.= abt 400 Li) and wasn’t diagnosed until my 30s although looking back the signs were there, just not bad or regular enough. As with most all the other medicals it requires an annual letter from the doctor to NMC. It is possible.

[QUOTE=Texaco;127896] As with most all the other medicals it requires an annual letter from the doctor to NMC. It is possible.[/QUOTE]

Considering that the ENG1 is not an American mariner physical exam and is not recognized by the USCG for American mariners, the NMC doesn’t have anything to do with it.

The OP appears to be trying to fit into the MCA world of Red Ensign flag yacht crew credentialing - for reasons only he can provide. He probably means BST when he says STCW since that is what yachties call BST. Those are the normal documents an entry level yachtie requires.

I had a few ENG1’s when I worked in England before 2010. They were super basic medicals. Maybe they varied by position, but it was like a one page piece of paper for me. Nothing like the 9 page USCG one.

This appears to be the program the OP attended. It would have helped if he gave that kind of information at the beginning.

I have seen this happen before but it reflects badly on the school if it does not require prospective students to be able to acquire the basic documents required to utilize the education or training the school sells. Fair enough if someone wants to audit the course but not requiring the single document that has nothing to do with training or education and is available before starting a course, is near to fraud.

Either the school failed to tell students what maritime regulations require or the OP slept through that part of the admissions process. Oddly enough, they offer BST as a separate “short course” that requires holding a medical certificate but is not part of the 2 year program. That seems a bit of a shyster approach to a vocational course.