1 A/E Motor

Does anyone have a line on companies hiring engineers with unlimited 1 A/E motor? I upgraded recently and it doesn’t look my current company is going to have any openings in the near future.

I saw this posted recently.

Job Title: 1st Assistant Engineer

Job Location: U.S. West Coast

Job Description: Coastwise marine transportation company is looking for 1st Engineers for immediate openings. This position is responsible for the maintenance and repair of the vessels power plant and auxiliary equipment while providing direction and supervision to vessel personnel working as a team in all areas relating to vessel maintenance and repair.

Qualifications: U.S.C.G. 1st Engineer Unlimited motor license required, Chief Engineer Unlimited motor license preferred with a strong background in electrical troubleshooting desired.Other qualifications required include: valid U.S. Passport, Transportation Workers Identification Card (TWIC), STCW Certification, Tankerman Engineer or Tankerman PIC Endorsement for Dangerous Liquids(DL). The company offers competative compensation and benefits package.

Compensation: $135k - $150k

Contact Information: Bill Cole Alaska Tanker Company, LLC 503-207-0052 william.cole@aktanker.com

I join MEBA and get on with OSG. They are hurting for 1st

That’s an understatement. The 1st job on the Cascade has been open board for 6 weeks with no takers. They have 2 Chiefs on there now with one of them sailing as 1st.

Yes I can confirm this. Please go to OSG, my buddy could use a regular relief schedule. Otherwise I am tempted to quit my job and give it a try.

I’m not sure I’d do that. The engineers here absolutely hate this place.

Yeah there is that. It’s not all the ships, but a few have some disgruntled engineers

A few hitches ago We Bunkered an OSG ATB dont remember the name. But I met the chief and asked him how things where going over there, He said there where crying for engineers of all types. He told me hes been sailing by himself (no asst engineer) and no relief in site ,At that time he was on 2 extra weeks. If i remember they do 30/30.

[QUOTE=CETOOT70;137364]A few hitches ago We Bunkered an OSG ATB dont remember the name. But I met the chief and asked him how things where going over there, He said there where crying for engineers of all types. He told me hes been sailing by himself (no asst engineer) and no relief in site ,At that time he was on 2 extra weeks. If i remember they do 30/30.[/QUOTE]
Now I know these companies are run by highly educated people but it doesn’t take Pythagoras to figure out that more money will retain talent. When I retired 5 years ago off the ATBs, the engineers were leaving in droves for the drillships.

Put the money up and they will come.

They just put out a “referral bonus” for the mates. $5,000 if they hire somebody you refer and they stay for a year. I bet they never pay it out.

The ATB fleets are crewed through AMO. The deep sea fleet is MEBA for the engineers only. The deep sea fleet has been reaching out to AMO for engineers when nobody at MEBA will take the job, but rumor has it AMO has shut the door on that.

I appreciate the input. I would prefer to step up and forward an not up and backward as it seems might be the case. There are at least 3 OSG tankers sitting around me at anchor right now so maybe I’ll swim over and get the full story from the horses mouth. I was hoping someone might have a line on a job that didn’t involve tankers lol.

[QUOTE=CETOOT70;137364]A few hitches ago We Bunkered an OSG ATB dont remember the name. But I met the chief and asked him how things where going over there, He said there where crying for engineers of all types. He told me hes been sailing by himself (no asst engineer) and no relief in site ,At that time he was on 2 extra weeks. If i remember they do 30/30.[/QUOTE]

I am retired from OSG and while I will not say that this is impossible, I find it doubtful that he was sailing as a Solo Engineer. Also, as far as I know all of the AT/B’s are 21 and 21. Even though I have been out of there for some time, I still have quite a few friends that still work there,

I saw that. It also says for engineers as well. Didn’t go over well with most of the engineers. Instead of a referral just put money in the labor package.

I can only speak or the deep sea tankers and can say it really isn’t as bad as some say. Some benefits are you move up pretty quick. Right now they are just moving people up to cover billets. Some of the ships have bad reputation but some have good ones too. Of course it all boils down to money. OSG is at the bottom of the pay scale within the MEBA so naturally they are the ones people take when they can’t get in with Matson or APL. I have had a few guys say it’s the ships are not as bad as they have heard but when higher paying ships are hiring as well they are going to go where the money is. It’s really a no brainer why people aren’t getting relieved