Master At Chouest offshore

The also specify exactly what that means. See below:

"Specialized experience include: Developing a division budget; developing examination standards; developing/modifying deck related marine training courses/assessments; serving as a liaison with maritime industry stakeholders; explaining plans and policies to maritime interest groups or government agencies; and conducting presentations at meetings or conferences.

“Specialized experience is experience that has equipped you with the particular ability, skill, and knowledge to successfully perform the duties of this position and is typically in or related to this line of work.”

The minimum qualification is a license as Chief Mate Unlimited, preferably Master Unlimited. Without that they won’t consider you no matter what other experience you may have.

Not in this case, this is the second time they are posting this since they didn’t find anyone last year. That’s also probably why they are advertising more than before and leaving the job listing open for so long.

I have not in details, but here it is, if anybody care to check it out: Ship crew training and certification - GOV.UK

I believe the UK is in line with EU and most of the rest of the world on this subject, which is STCW’10 compliance for all seafarers.

I don’t see any specific OSV 10000 GT license, but there is special requirement for Workboats and Tugs below 500 GT and for Fishing vessels, but they are all STCW based.

Nor are there any 100 GT license, or licences for specific waters and trades, other then as specified in STCW Convention.

I obviously don’t know, or pretend to understand, the present US system, but from my experience with US flag OSVs outside US waters, it did not induce much confidence by foreign Maritime Authorities when the “Master” of an OSV of 299 GRT could not read and write.

I understand that the standard has improved with the implementation of STCW by USCG for US vessels, incl. OSVs, working outside US inland waters.

1 Like

I think he was referring to all the yachting licenses the MCA also offers.

You are absolutely right.

Absolutely!!! Honestly, I just kind of shake my head when I hear people using “License Consultants.” Never used one, never needed one, don’t understand why people can’t pick up the phone and just call NMC themselves to get the same service instead of spending $200-$500. Maybe I’m just lucky, but I’ve never had any problem with getting things taken care of at NMC. (That, and I don’t try and get away with the BS that a lot of others try though either.)

I like the Canada and very similar U.K. Systems. I note also that neither Transport Canada nor the MCA are military organizations, anything like the USCG. The US would be smart to move toward a similar STCW compliant system with only one type of license tonnage.

Interestingly, the U.K. MCA will not simply issue a CeC for a US limited license, only Unlimited US licenses.

The holder of a USCG Master 1600 GRT oceans, and STCW II/2 - 3000 GT license must take the UKLap exam and the U.K. MCA Master’s orals exam in order to get a U.K. CeC.

I did not look for or see any indication of how the MCA treats USCG OSV restricted licenses. Does the MCA recognize OSV licenses ar all?

1 Like

,which I had done numerous time and was still shot down.

Do you hold Chief Mate or Master Unlimited?

With your background you should be a very good fit for that job.

They are probably looking for an academy grad, preferably USCG Academy. Of course, it appears that they really want someone who is already an existing civilian USCG employee.

I doubt there are many of those with the qualifications they are requiring.

Didn’t have to for the position I was going for, but I have Chief Mate equivalent in the military.

Probably. I was looking at a couple of jobs in DC. The old boy network is alive and well in the swamp.

I guess if the military is advertising for chief mates you are golden. How is it working out for shipping jobs?

Except for the CeCs issued by a few foreign maritime authorities based on holding the same certificate from your own national authority, the idea of "equivalent’ is pretty much a home made concept.

1 Like

I think what he means is that he was an XO in the USCG. That sounds to me like a chief mate equivalent, certainly the USCG would think that their own XOs are better qualified than a merchant marine chief mate.

He’s sailing master in the oil patch; so it seems like he’s doing pretty good.

1 Like

I have a good idea what he means but a federal job is written with certain requirements and they’re not allowed to wing it and say “that’s close enough”.

1 Like

I did a very quick scan of the job requirements. I think it said Chief Mate or equivalent.

You’re right, my mistake. (Though they are very specific amount what kind of service applies and I don’t know exactly if he meets that.)

Doesn’t an XO need to be an actual officer?

“Applicant must hold or have held a U.S. Merchant Mariner credential in the grade of Chief Mate, Any Gross Tons or higher or the equivalent military experience as Executive Officer or higher and as a qualified Officer of the Deck (OOD) on vessels of at least 1600 Gross Tons.

In the Navy and CG the CPOs have more authority then the typical unlicensed merchant mariner. Just like a newly minted 3 mate won’t get too far ordering a crusty old bsn about, a brand new ensign in the Navy can’t really get away with too much with a CWO or CPO.

When I was a lowly seaman on WHEC-721 we jumped when CWO4 Wilson spoke.

2 Likes

Yes, the Mother of All Enemas!

None of this should really be too surprising, though. The USA is a mature (if not doddering) bureaucracy at this point so the rot and ineptitude runs pretty wide and deep.

Crappy merchant marine licensing, though annoying to me personally, is pretty low on the list of what’s ailing this republic.

There are a number of USCG functions, including our licensing / certification, that might be handled better by a civilian-run agency that specialized only in that function, but there’s no guarantee of it. With the occasional exception here and there, any function of government will generally only be as good as it has to be to get by. We get the government we deserve.

1 Like

No, I was enlisted but worked for an officer. When he went on leave I fulfilled his duties. The licensing branch were being jerks. I applied, but never tested for Unlimited Master because of you, “serve in the capacity of Commanding Officer, you can test for Unlimited Master.”. I appealed to headquarters and they said I was correct, even though I was enlisted.

I did not feel like studying so I blew it off. I can still do it but the new required schools are $30,000 conservatively including meals and lodging and I am fine the level I am.

I just enjoy poking the tiger so to speak.