Completing a TOAR

With all of the up to date knowledge gCaptain visitors and contributors have, I hope some of it can be shed on the process of completing a TOAR.

I have a 1600 Ton Mate license and knocked off some of the TOAR checkoffs. Now I am to the point that I need to dock the tow, maneuver the tow in and out of port and the like. The problem is, I can’t get a job as a Mate until I have my TOAR completed and I can’t get my TOAR completed until I get a job that allows me to maneuver the tug and tow. I have sailed with Designated Examiners, but they’re not to keen on letting someone low on the totem drive the tow around the harbor. Plus, everyone has a job on a tug and I can’t be in the wheelhouse and handling lines on deck at the same time.

From your perspective, how quickly and easily can one get there TOAR signed off while working in the industry? What companies are offering training programs to complete a TOAR?

I much appreciate any insight and input you all have.

• SS

http://diamondmarineservices.com probably your best bet, at least they use a “real” size tug.

Well I worked a lot of extra hours to complete my toar, While the master is in the wheel house with you, you are able to run the boat. Like I said about extra hours if you are docking an sailing on our off watch get up an do it.

Stay up on your off watch, etc. If the DE isn’t trying to help you out, there is a reason. Either he’s an asshole, or you might be.

When I was looking to move up from deck hand to mate I was up almost every single off watch that something was going on. I made sure to ask the skipper everytime if I could steer. If it was tricky or he said no I stayed up and watched. No one is going to hand it to you, you have to go get it. If you don’t seem interested or aren’t putting in the work they’ll be less inclined to help. Also make sure the job you are being paid to do is getting done and done well.

Just took a course where I met a kid freshly laid off from the Gulf. He told me that his new employer had a DE that he has never even met,much less sailed with,pencil whip his TOAR.

TOAR is too easy to fudge and a worthless crock. A mandatory rigorous10 day,$5,000,simulator course would be a lot more reliable and meaningful.

That’s freakin insane.

Yup agreed w/ all above. Taking a class to complete is definitely the fastest way. Some sign offs might not apply the job you’re doing either, so unless your DE is willing to fudge signatures (god forbid), it will probably take quite a bit of time to complete. Also, if you have your mates ticket you should be more than qualified to play put-put around the harbor. Maybe just work on building up the ole man’s confidence in you.

Building up the old man’s confidence is essentially what a TOAR is. The guy with the pencil whipped TOAR thinks he’s got it made until he screws up and hurts someone or does a major damage.

[QUOTE=Tugboater203;158617]Building up the old man’s confidence is essentially what a TOAR is. The guy with the pencil whipped TOAR thinks he’s got it made until he screws up and hurts someone or does a major damage.[/QUOTE]

The West Coast way of tugboating is that the captain must be up in restricted waters and do all the boat handling. The captain will just have to get by with a lot less sleep while he trains the guy with the pencil whipped TOAR. The sad thing is that the captain will only get about $100 a day more than the guy with the pencil whipped TOAR. It certainly sucks when a poorly managed company will engage in this kind of criminal fraud just to save a few dollars on a good mate.

I sometimes hear about guys sailing mate without even having a towing endorsement at all. Something about the trip being under a certain length (600 NM maybe?) or some such BS. What’s the deal with that? Is that a real thing or are they selling me porkie pies?

I’ve heard of this with “second” mates but not “mates.”

why do they do it that way there vs the east coast way?

Yeah you’re right, I should have been more specific, it’s only second mates I’ve heard of doing that. Still though, not a great idea in my book…

No it’s bullshit, how can one stand a watch on a towing vessel, without being properly credentialed to do so? Same idea is to just let the 3rd on a ship sail with a 1,600 masters license…close enough?

That is illegal bullshit.

I do not know. Its just the local custom of the trade to run it more like on a ship. The Canadians do it the same way. Crowley, true to its roots, does the West Coast way everywhere they operate.

There are certain trades with a lot of persistent boathandling that have to be different, like running anchors 24 hours a day for a lay barge, dredge tending 24 hours a day, ship docking 24 hours a day, etc. In those cases, you have to have two watches that are each completely capable of conducting all operations.

This makes me a little discouraged because you. Ould have a guy with mate on his resume and he doesnt know shit. 9-10 a guy who sailed mate put of new york does all his own work and is the capatain when the captain is asleep.

[QUOTE=acesouthcoast;158684]This makes me a little discouraged because you. Ould have a guy with mate on his resume and he doesnt know shit. 9-10 a guy who sailed mate put of new york does all his own work and is the capatain when the captain is asleep.[/QUOTE]

Hah yes, a west coast mate with 5 years experience, vs an east coast mate with the same 5 years. No question, unless it comes to who can handle shit weather better. Not saying west coast boat handlers are worse/better than east, but comparing the average mate with a barge. How do you develop that talent though to transition to master?

I can’t think of the last time I woke the old man up. I think the last time he more or less said you got yourself in the jam, get yourself out. Its basically my boat to run 12 hours a day and we definitely do things differently, except for one or two things he mentions before turning in. Also dealing with the office on %95 of matters too.

I would really love to get a TOAR signed off & my master of towing. I dont want any pencil whipping of it either. I want it done legit because the requirement is there for a purpose. But alas, my company has sold off all their tugs. If things go from bad to worse at my current employ, it may very well be something I look into.