Your gCaptain team misses this bit of news of the ridiculous

I’m gonna go with a $15 relay of some sort. They’re are to embarrassed to admit such a large ferry with all those people onboard could be crippled by a $15 part. The shipyard is dog and pony for the investigation. They just need a place away from prying eyes to replaced burned out components. I need more data to make a better guess. What kind of PMS? Were there VFD’s? What kind of transformers? How are they arranged? Brake resistors? I’m afraid single bus configuration is to dumb for this application. As you see a lot of things can happen.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;141725]I’m gonna go with a $15 relay of some sort. They’re are to embarrassed to admit such a large ferry with all those people onboard could be crippled by a $15 part. The shipyard is dog and pony for the investigation. They just need a place away from prying eyes to replaced burned out components. I need more data to make a better guess. What kind of PMS? Were there VFD’s? What kind of transformers? How are they arranged? Brake resistors? I’m afraid single bus configuration is to dumb for this application. As you see a lot of things can happen.[/QUOTE]

as much as it would be a complete em-BARE-ASS-ment if it was something small and simple, there is no way they would allow one of the biggest vessels in the fleet to not immediately return to service during the peak of the year for demand just save face. They are getting too big of a black eye already with the system in chaos with boats being shuffled all over the Sound to cover the shortage of lane meters. No this has got to be something bigger than a relay. Besides, how does one single part like that bring down a whole plant? Is there not redundancy in everything except main buss bars?

NEXT FUCKING WEEK! WHAT a CROCK OF SHIT!’

Officials hope to announce repair plan for ferry ‘Tacoma’ next week

August 1, 2014, by Q13 FOX News Staff

SEATTLE — Officials hope to announce a plan to fix the ferry “Tacoma” sometime next week.

The “Tacoma” lost power in the middle of the Puget Sound earlier this week.

Crews are looking at a switchboard that controls the propulsion system as a possible cause.

405 passengers were stranded on the vessel Tuesday and had to wait for a tugboat to pull the ship to shore. That led to major delays on other ferry routes for several days.

Three days now to come clean and tell the people of the State of Washington WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED and all we get is this CRAPOLLA!

TELL US WHAT HAPPENED YOU IMBECILES? WE WANT THE TRUTH…NO FUCKING COVER UPS!

I told you a $15 relay or fuse went out. You can’t go to the public and say whoops this little cha-chut went bad and shut the show down.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;141743]I told you a $15 relay or fuse went out. You can’t go to the public and say whoops this little cha-chut went bad and shut the show down.[/QUOTE]

those engineers must have come from OCLLC…

It was not that long ago that WSF blew the commutator off one of their DC propulsion motors. Apparently they tried to run it with the shaft lock engaged. I think there was a 2 year lead time to get a new one from GE. It was the Walla Walla in 2012.

http://media.king5.com/images/600*450/Walla-Walla-ferry-damage6.jpg_BIM.jpg

[QUOTE=87cr250r;141768]It was not that long ago that WSF blew the commutator off one of their DC propulsion motors. Apparently they tried to run it with the shaft lock engaged. I think there was a 3 year lead time to get a new one from GE.[/QUOTE]

I remember that one very well…

[QUOTE=c.captain;141719]seriously, if you have multiple generators and propulsion motors, other than a major catastrophic event in the switchboard (seawater, squirrels, Smeagol?) how can a DE vessel go black and power not be able to be restored? And no, you don’t get to say all gens or all motors fried simultaneously.

anyone shed some “illumination” on this?[/QUOTE]

They’ve managed to do this (go blackout) on at least one of the Oscar Dyson class (one of which I am posting from now) but I don’t know the particulars of how it happened.

[QUOTE=catherder;141795]They’ve managed to do this (go blackout) on at least one of the Oscar Dyson class (one of which I am posting from now) but I don’t know the particulars of how it happened.[/QUOTE]

but not been able to get the plant back up and running afterwards?

What is the bus voltage? A loose bolt on a bus bar can lead to an arc flash and that can take out a whole switchboard. They are rare below 600V but quite possible on anything above.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;141811]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBhDRKfV-cE[/QUOTE]

that has to be the LAMEST FUCKING youtube video ever made…

I wonder if WSF port engineers are using it as a guide to help them troubleshoot the TACOMA?

It’s been a bad week on Puget Sound. A cruise ship couldn’t even make it out of Elliot Bay Sunday Night. The Grand Princess hadtugs tow her back to her slip after loosing power off Magnolia Bluff. Just saw her heading North a few minutes ago so Princess Cruises apparently keep spare parts and qualified engineers aboard.

Edit to add:
Guess I shoould have finished reading the Seattle Times before posting tonight.

Mechanical problems with one of the drive motors on the ferry Elwha gave passengers a scare Sunday evening when they were ordered to congregate on the main passenger level and put on life vests.

“We were shaking and the children behind us were all crying,” said Patty Knight, of Bellingham, one of hundreds of passengers on board for a trip from Friday Harbor to Anacortes.

The crew did a careful head count, and passengers kept the life jackets on for about 30 minutes before they were allowed to take them off, Knight said.

Ferry officials said the life jackets were only a precaution after smoke came from the motor, and it appeared to have electrical issues. The Elwha was able to continue at a reduced speed, using its other drive motor, and docked in Anacortes sometime around 8:30 p.m.

Ahahahahaha! It appears the whole WSF fleet is as well maintained as the old Turdwater fleet. It sounds like the whole operation is run like the much maligned old bayou boat companies.

Ahahahahaha indeed…having horrible flashbacks to the ridiculous 2012 Shell/Noble/ECO clown circus all over again

[B]Order to wear life jackets gives Elwha ferry riders a brief scare[/B]

Problems with one of the drive motors on the ferry Elwha gave passengers a scare Sunday evening when they were ordered to put on life vests.

By Linda Shaw

Passengers wear life jackets on the Elwha ferry after smoke came from the motor while it was between Friday Harbor and Anacortes.
Enlarge this photo

Mechanical problems with one of the drive motors on the ferry Elwha gave passengers a scare Sunday evening when they were ordered to congregate on the main passenger level and put on life vests.

“We were shaking and the children behind us were all crying,” said Patty Knight, of Bellingham, one of hundreds of passengers on board for a trip from Friday Harbor to Anacortes.

The crew did a careful head count, and passengers kept the life jackets on for about 30 minutes before they were allowed to take them off, Knight said.

Ferry officials said the life jackets were only a precaution after smoke came from the motor, and it appeared to have electrical issues. The Elwha was able to continue at a reduced speed, using its other drive motor, and docked in Anacortes sometime around 8:30 p.m.

Electricians were dispatched to Anacortes, said Marta Coursey, the ferry system’s director of communications, and there were hopes it could be back in service as early as Monday morning.

The problem followed a ferry breakdown on Tuesday, when the Tacoma lost power near Bainbridge Island and had to be pushed to the Winslow terminal by tugboats.

That was the latest in a number of troubles the ferry system has experienced in the last couple of years. The system also has canceled trips due to crew shortages and had problems with new ferries that listed sideways due to a design quirk, and last year a ferry in the San Juans hit a sailboat.

Still, the organization remains the nation’s largest and arguably safest ferry network, serving 23 million passengers a year.

On Sunday evening, the Elwha was about 20 minutes out of Friday Harbor when passengers, including David Moss, of Bellevue, heard a warning sound that Moss said sounded like one he’d heard about in the safety announcements before the voyage started.

Moss also heard loud clanging that appeared to come from the engine room. He and his girlfriend followed the crew’s orders to go to the main passenger level, where the crew distributed life vests.

He didn’t see any smoke, and neither did Knight, but Knight said some passengers reported smelling burning rubber, and the crew apologized for the heat, with all the passengers huddled together, and the smell.

The crew allowed passengers to take off the life vests after about 30 minutes, and the ferry then continued at about half speed to Anacortes, Moss said. A Coast Guard vessel followed behind the Elwha for most of the trip, he added.

Moss said he’d ridden a ferry only once before, and the event capped a weekend in which he’d celebrated his birthday and proposed to his girlfriend.

Knight, however, is a regular ferry passenger.

“I’ve been riding the ferries for 30 years, and I’ve never had anything like this happen,” she said.

The ferry Kaleetan was called into service to make the rest of the evening’s runs.

The Elwha was built in 1967 and rebuilt in 1991. It is about 380 feet long and can carry up to 1,090 passengers.

got to add this to the emergency manual for WSF management use…

Press release template for WSF public relations use in an incident (cross out all that do not apply):

“Contrary to media reports the (insert name of boat here) did not (burn, breakdown, collide, capsize, sink, explode, meltdown, get hijacked by Al Qaeda, captured by pirates or abducted by aliens) and all passengers had a grand adventure. All the kids were given free icecream even!”

So it’s next week already…

WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED ON THE TACOMA LAST TUESDAY?

are you people too STOOPID to figure it out?..let me in there and I’ll tell you in 15 minutes what failed!

EFFING PUBLIC SERVANT PUBES…I HATE EM!

Still don’t know yet…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-tCIRJH9p0

no not out of gas…more like one of these here

//youtu.be/yX5TIDLvMyw

BWAZAPPPP! POOF!

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=rshrew;141888]Still don’t know yet…[/QUOTE]

Been a week and not one FUCKING thing from anyone…

I say COVERUP!

This is probably gonna end up being a case where the engineers didn’t power cycle the computer when it crashed. I’ll say it again you can’t tell the public all this trouble was caused by something simple like a blown fuse. If it was a a catastrophic failure in the switchboard there most assuredly would have been some smoke. I don’t read your local news but was there any passengers stating smoke or a burning smell?