You know it's gonna be a rough one when

…the rings come out like this:

Cue CCR’s Bad Moon Rising. In this thread: Harbingers of doom.

3 Likes

I’m not much of an engineer but looking at the picture, is it possible that the wrong tools were used?
just a thought.

Don’t force it; use a bigger hammer.

1 Like

The liner probably doesn’t look that good either but if you get the tip of that electrical insulated screwdriver straighten out it’s a keeper. The tips of mine usually snap off after a couple of whacks.

your workbench is dirty

The story goes that someone put this engine together with a head gasket leak big enough to hydrolock it. It then sat for a couple of years full of sea water before I came around. To be honest, I didn’t need the broken rings to tell me that I was getting into trouble.

Actually, the bores aren’t as horrible as I feared, and may be saved with stress honing. Broken screwdrivers are one of the most precious commodities around the workshop, and I guard mine jealously. There is no end to the useful tools you can craft from a high quality screwdriver.

Once the rings have rusted well into the grooves, I’m not sure that there is a right tool for the job. My only concern at that stage is to save the pistons, and using a round drift that fits into the groove is at least somewhat effective at chipping out the rings. In the undying words of John Drury Clark:

For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes

However, there is no running away from a trade-in :-/

5 Likes

As one of my first chiefs said, “Your career will involve taking very large things apart to replace very small things.”

4 Likes

You know it’s gonna be a rough one when…She ran long enough with a bad bearing that the balls split.

(centrifugal purifier…thank goodness for vibration trips, but would have been preferred if the earlier vibration had been picked up previously on rounds…):

4 Likes