Broken seal on the fuel pump

I just wonder about something that ye’ more experienced engineers might answer.

The last month our AUX engine has been down, as it consumed oil, and the 1st and Chief could not find the answer at all, until I told them of a previous malfunction I witnessed when onboard with my old man, that the seal to the fuel pump had been torn, took them two weeks to check it, but they found out I was correct and shipped it off to the workshop.

My question is however, as the workshop said this is something they had never ssern or heard about, is it commin or am I just extremely unforunate to have witnessed such a malfunction?

What kind of fuel are you buring? Did you receive new bunkers?

Oh, we fixed the problem. We did not recieve any bunkers, the fuel oil seal broke down, before I arrived, and eventualle made the piston liners oval.

They eventually heard my hint, since we changed the liners, yet it blew smoke from the exhaust still.

However the workshop (on shore, as we had to ship it there) said they had never heard or seen such a malfunction. We installed the pump todayvand runs smoothly.

Just wondered if its a common thing that happens or not since they had never experienced this

I see fuel pump seals go all the time. Usually on the west coast ships it was from the the constant switching from heavy to diesel and back. Heat and cooling made the seals brittle and would fail. Now if you were on heavy oil all the time I would question the new LSFO. It could also be the seals they install like OEM Vs “bubba seals”

[QUOTE=“brjones;122268”]I see fuel pump seals go all the time. Usually on the west coast ships it was from the the constant switching from heavy to diesel and back. Heat and cooling made the seals brittle and would fail. Now if you were on heavy oil all the time I would question the new LSFO. It could also be the seals they install like OEM Vs “bubba seals”[/QUOTE]

Hrm, well we use LSFO onboard, and as far as I have come in reading the history, there has not been a change to that.

You think the change in weather might have done this? It is an old AUX eng from the late 80’s, a Perkins. Could also be that the engine is old and the seal was bound to break sooner or later. The ship has gone cold, more than I like, due to maintenance. The firm hates the word, hence we have the problem with breakdown maintenance, and with that, after some time, parts by parts rapidly breaks down.

Which Perkins?

Are you watching fuel consumption? lots of shit fuel out there now. I have seen samples passed to the Cheng that I would not put in my husband’s pickup truck. No troll.

Watch your numbers. Numbers don’t lie.

Cat

[QUOTE=“DredgeBoyThrottleJocky;122305”]

Which Perkins?[/QUOTE]

Its a part of the 6.354m series, a small little bugger, and to be honest, I halfly fear to look at it, afraid it will collapse if you look hard enough at it.

It’s a diaphragm pump, torn diaphragm failures are pretty common, especially with a fuel supply restriction. Usually the fuel leaks into the lube oil, odd that it didn’t make oil…

6/354 engines were tough, but you’re right, everything bolted on to them eventually falls off…