Overhauling

[ATTACH]3418[/ATTACH]

Inframe overhaul on the port main

Is that an ALCO, or an EMD?

Looks like a Cat 3512 to me.

Cummins. KTA 38

Another look
[ATTACH]3420[/ATTACH]

man this sucks, I still can not see the pictures. I usually use Firefox so I figured I would give IE a try but still no good.

[QUOTE=Tugs;108797]man this sucks, I still can not see the pictures. I usually use Firefox so I figured I would give IE a try but still no good.[/QUOTE]

This is indeed strange, Tugs, I just went to Overhauling and had no problems viewing the photos. I also use Firefox as my default. I tried Chrome and it also worked.
What do you have as the default browser?
Do you have a program working in the background, such as “NoScript” and "Java Platform SE 7 U9 10.9.2.5"
Also IE is known to cause problems but unfortunately it is part of the operating system and you can not eliminate it yet it hasn’t caused me any problems. I never use it. Check-out your Firefox “Extensions” and “Plugins,” perhaps something is there that needs to be disabled. Hope this helps.

Well, I can see the pictures when I log on through my phone.

I’m doing a scheduled inframe overhaul. When I pulled the pistons. I found #1and#6LB and #1and#6 RB scored badly. Any thoughts on the cause? I will say this engine never gave me a bit of trouble.
[ATTACH]3429[/ATTACH]

[QUOTE=tugboatchief;109182]I’m doing a scheduled inframe overhaul. When I pulled the pistons. I found #1and#6LB and #1and#6 RB scored badly. Any thoughts on the cause? I will say this engine never gave me a bit of trouble.
[ATTACH]3429[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

I am looking for drawings but just wondering, have you had a peek at the coolant (jacket water) piping internals? Any record of cylinder temps on hand? Being that you have symmetrical scored cylinders, that could be something to look at.

[QUOTE=Tugs;108797]man this sucks, I still can not see the pictures. I usually use Firefox so I figured I would give IE a try but still no good.[/QUOTE]

same problem here…what gives?

Cylinder temps? I do know the exhaust port temps vary depending on load but all exhaust ports run about the same. There is no big difference from one port to the other. Jacket water temp runs 178 degrees at full load. Cools down a few degrees with light tug.

I have seen this happen before on a keel cooled 3512. The vent running to expansion tank became clogged and created air pockets. But in that Case the engine overheated and shut down. This is not the case with my current situation.

[QUOTE=tugboatchief;109239]Cylinder temps? I do know the exhaust port temps vary depending on load but all exhaust ports run about the same. There is no big difference from one port to the other. Jacket water temp runs 178 degrees at full load. Cools down a few degrees with light tug.

I have seen this happen before on a keel cooled 3512. The vent running to expansion tank became clogged and created air pockets. But in that Case the engine overheated and shut down. This is not the case with my current situation.[/QUOTE]

Ok, was just floating that as a possible idea. I wish I could see the pics, but like the others, I am having trouble.

[QUOTE=tugboatchief;109182]I’m doing a scheduled inframe overhaul. When I pulled the pistons. I found #1and#6LB and #1and#6 RB scored badly. Any thoughts on the cause? I will say this engine never gave me a bit of trouble.
[ATTACH]3429[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]
Never worked with that series. Any difference in the rod bearing and pin wear? Is the oil gallery inlet at the center of the block? Just curious about pressure drop at each end of the crankshaft.

The pins and bushings looked like new. No wear. The rod bearings looked normal for 10k hours. A few of the upper bearings showed signs of copper but nothing detrimental on the cylinders that were scored. The main oil galley runs thru the center of the block and is approx 1" ID. It feeds the oil coolers directly off that galley and distributes oil accordingly. As for a pressure drop. I wouldn’t know. My oil pressure readings come off the oil galley located at the front of the block. 60psi cold at idle. 40psi at Normal operating temp. Like I stated in the previous. This engine never missed a beat.

Are there oil jets for cooling the undersides of the pistons?

After cutting new counterbores, installing new head bolt inserts, and a major parts fiasco… I’ve finally installed some fresh kits. Won’t be long now.

[ATTACH]3497[/ATTACH]