Would you work on your off time even if you didn't need to?

Just wondering if people prefer to work on their off time or just enjoy their vacation.

1 Like

the answer would be completely dependent to whether my time off is long or short and how much I need cash to keep my many projects going.

I dont like working extra for the company i work for, or at all really, but i do work 2-3 days extra for a different company that i steer for. At my fulltime job im an AB so when i get called to steer for a couple days i do it for the experience. And the pay is great too. 3 days steering on the side covers my mortgage and car payment. Cant beat that.

What I mean is this, something that makes about half what what you make at sea but its still good money and you are still at home and you can pick it up or leave it when its time to come or go. I. E. open a store and have people manage it when you are gone, drive a dinner cruise boat a few timea a week, start a landscaping business, day trade (I suppose you can do that when you are at sea too), sell stuff on ebay, be a part time surveryer for houses - or for boats, real estate etc.
I hear people talking about what they do for money on their off time quite a bit, one guy said he buys atm machines. Just wondering if most people do this or if they just relax

You can do anyone of those. I sometimes steer a dinner boat also. If you can start a business and have someone run it well when your at sea go for it. Thats just extra $ for you and your retirement. Or early retirement.

If only I could make a career of being a well heeled drunk, I would be on easy street.

I make peanuts here so I will supplement with other work when not on the boat.

I make a short commercial fishing trip once in a while in winter, and commercial tuna fish late summer/fall when not on the tug. It’s something I enjoy doing but also tends to put “fun” money in my pocket. Once in a while i cut a lawn or two and do some weed-whacking but only for the right deal. I do work over a day or two for my relief as I am hungry for dough.

I do home improvements in the winter, and occasionally pick up very small painting jobs for friends…but just for cash under the table. Considering an investment property someday too.

I’m a bartender and a waiter on the side. My wife is a restaurant chef so we do catering on the side when I’m home. I also am a handyman when the right job and $ are involved. I’d love to start a food cart/trailer someday soon. Maybe take my passion for BBQ and make some cash.

1 Like

[QUOTE=z-drive;117231]I make a short commercial fishing trip once in a while in winter, and commercial tuna fish late summer/fall when not on the tug…[/QUOTE]

I went lobstering one time, it’s tough work. Got a family member currently making commercial trips on a small f/v here. Tired when he comes home.

I have enough around here to keep me busy - plus we have a wood lot within walking distance. Can work out there about any time.

I work on my off time almost every hitch. I live 15 minutes from our main office and the boats are harbor tugs. With a couple of the boats only partially crewed, I see it as easy money. I’ll make more in one day extra at my day job than I probably would working my whole off hitch is I was trying to hustle ( odd jobs, yard jockey, working for
Pops).

I’m already over 40 days extra for the year.

I just recently went back to my roots and started turning wrenches again on the Sportys and commercial boats that are here locally.

Whats a sporty

[QUOTE=samaka;117255]Whats a sporty[/QUOTE]

I think that’s what you have when you wake up in the morning and have to pee.

Would it be a good or bad idea to relocate for a garanteed ”off time” job where they will work with your schedule and they don’t care if you come or go?

I own a forestry / logging business, feeding my parents sawmill. I had 2 full time guys working for me while I was here but it got to be more of a pain in the ass. I park almost 400k in equipment every 2 weeks, and hop back on the boat to rest. It actually works out kinda nice, by the time I get back they have trucked most of it away, and we start again. We cant find decent help at home, we pay well, benefits, but no one really wants to work anymore. Ask a highschool kid to throw hay for 10-12 an hour and they laugh.

[QUOTE=BargeMonkey;117269]I own a forestry / logging business, feeding my parents sawmill. I had 2 full time guys working for me while I was here but it got to be more of a pain in the ass. I park almost 400k in equipment every 2 weeks, and hop back on the boat to rest. It actually works out kinda nice, by the time I get back they have trucked most of it away, and we start again. We cant find decent help at home, we pay well, benefits, but no one really wants to work anymore. Ask a highschool kid to throw hay for 10-12 an hour and they laugh.[/QUOTE]

That’s interesting, I have a woodlot up here, I used to do some firewood cutting for myself, I was what is derisively called a “weekend logger” using a tractor and winch but I don’t fell anymore. It didn’t seem worth the risk.

I have thrown my share of hay bales on the old family farm.

I have a second career when I am off the boat, drinking and womanizing. Believe me, it’s a full time occupation. I put in a lot of overtime. Nights and weekends too. I am a very loyal employee…

Volunteer firefighter. But the pay sucks!

I play handy man for family and friends while home. I enjoy it immensely. Now with my purchase of a new home I probably wont have much time anymore. I also run jet skis/banana boats sometimes at home when they need someone with a license. The pay sucks but the female scenery can’t get any better.