Working with a spouse aboard military sealift ships

With the GOM jobs and income suffering, I’ve been doing my research and looking into working with MSC with a spouse. I’ve read the forum (thanks for providing lots of information and real life experience into how MSC works!) and I’ve talked to an MSC recruiter, and the last question I really have is this: My husband and I are both second mates, is it realistic or even possible for us to get jobs on the same vessel with MSC? (I realize one of us will most likely need to take a pay cut.) How many deck officers do they typically have onboard? The recruiter assured me that it was possible, and I want to make sure he wasn’t just blowing smoke.

[QUOTE=calusa;174355]With the GOM jobs and income suffering, I’ve been doing my research and looking into working with MSC with a spouse. I’ve read the forum (thanks for providing lots of information and real life experience into how MSC works!) and I’ve talked to an MSC recruiter, and the last question I really have is this: My husband and I are both second mates, is it realistic or even possible for us to get jobs on the same vessel with MSC? (I realize one of us will most likely need to take a pay cut.) How many deck officers do they typically have onboard? The recruiter assured me that it was possible, and I want to make sure he wasn’t just blowing smoke.[/QUOTE]

I really can’t answer that question. I can say, however, that that sounds like a terrible idea in my opinion. You are both going to live and work together, and then have time off together, that sounds like a divorce waiting to happen. And if he seems agreeable to it, maybe he just doesn’t want to offend you. Just my opinion, good luck getting the answer you need.

There are several husband and wife teams in the oilfield currently and they all seem to make it work. You never now Calusa might already be doing just that.

It’s possible. There are many couples working on the same ship. Consider that it will take time to set-up, maybe a few months, maybe several months.

As to the number of mates on a typical MSC ship, these days there are at least three third mates, two or three second mates and usually one or two first officers. This varies some depending on the ship class, if it is deployed or not, what it is doing and the time of year.

If you both are second mates I’d say you have little chance of getting on a ship together for a while. This is because, usually, one second mate is a non-watch standing navigator/operations officer (babysits the third mates and coordinates message traffic between the Navy, MSC and the ship). The other second mate is a non-watch standing cargo mate (manages the underway replenishments and/or ammunition).

Both of these jobs have no real equal from the GoM. The learning curve can be tough as most of the learning is on-the-job. Having two new hires filling both spots with no one for you both to learn from would be an unworkable disaster. So either one or both of you steps down and joins as a third mate or AB (that’s the easy way) or accept that it may take time before the two of you should be on the same ship together.

My two cents.

[QUOTE=DeckApe;174463]It’s possible. There are many couples working on the same ship. Consider that it will take time to set-up, maybe a few months, maybe several months.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your feedback. I can understand about the learning curve, we didn’t start out in the GOM, and the Cajun Navy has been… interesting… Working 2/M and 3/M would be fine with us for a while. Like I said, I just wanted to know if it was really an option, since not all companies allow it or have the manning for it.

Yes - i have seen it done.
But spouses were not in the same ship board department.

My husband and I both applied and received offers from MSC for 2/M spots. Is there a way to talk to the detailers and get more information on working onboard together before we make a final commitment?

I also have the impression that some people go back to the same ship each time they come back from leave, but others go in the pool. Which is more typical? Is it mostly just based on position, such as Captain, C/M and C/E stay on same vessel, but everyone else rotates?

I meant a girl last year who worked on an MSC ship as 2/M, alongside her husband who I believe was an Engineer. She said they it worked great for them.

1 Like

Calusa - I’ve sailed with a married couple who seemed to enjoy the arrangement. He was chief engineer and she was chief cook. I was a little envious of their situation. I say give it a shot. Good luck.

1 Like