MSC Questions

I’m coming close to the end of my enlistment in the Coast Guard (NOV 2014), and I’m not ready to say goodbye to the ocean. The ultimate goal was to get out and go live in Arizona near my folks and my brothers, but I can’t bring myself to do it just yet. I have 1.5 years of sea time aboard a 110 ft. Patrol Boat out of San Diego. I conducted SAR, AMIO, Drug interdiction missions and aids to navigation. Easily the best thing I’ve ever done in my life.
Since then, I’ve been stuck behind a desk in Petaluma, CA. It was the quickest way to go up in rank, but I hate it. Time to get back out there.
My grandfather did 8 years in the MSC after he got out of the Navy, and I got to do a few tiger cruises aboard the USNS Tippecanoe as a kid. I’ve had the idea ever since that the MSC would be a good retirement gig after I got out of the CG. Seeing as I’m getting out early, it’s not a retirement gig, but I want to do it now before I have a wife and kid who would miss me if I up and got underway for 8-9 months out of the year.
I don’t see this being a career for me, but I do intend to do it for a few years, and a good friend of mine is thinking of doing the same thing with me. Am I wrong in thinking it would be a good way to make some money and see the world before I move inland? If not, then here’s some questions for whoever has any good input:

What’s berthing like for an entry level guy? I’m used to 6-20 man berthing with 3 high racks.

Can an OS or an AB learn another watch section on the job? I was a QM on the patrol boat, which I understand is comparable to a 3rd mate. Does that take extra schooling?

How does the Surface Rescue Swimmer qual work? I have an existing cutter rescue swimmer qual, and a swimmer tender qual, and I don’t think they’re transferrable, but I’m not sure.

Who is a fire party comprised of? Are deckhands thrown into some nomex and a BA in the event of an explosion or casualty to be damage controlmen?

How often are you drug tested in the MSC? I worked as a deckhand on a research vessel, and they never tested the deckhands or watchstanders, a few of whom did meth to stay awake during the long work hours, or standing watch on the bridge. I’d like some sort of provision to put a round turn on that crap if possible.

My best friend is COMPLETELY blind in one eye. As in, there’s no way to correct his vision. He may as well not have an eye there. Will he be denied entry because of this?

I appreciate anyone taking the time to look at this, and look forward to hearing your answers.
-Semper Paratus

[QUOTE=Junie;118151]
How often are you drug tested in the MSC? I worked as a deckhand on a research vessel, and they never tested the deckhands or watchstanders, a few of whom did meth to stay awake during the long work hours, or standing watch on the bridge. I’d like some sort of provision to put a round turn on that crap if possible.
[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about “crystal meth” or prescription methamphetamine? I have a hard time believing that your mates were professional mariners taking illegal drugs. If they were prescriptions, they weren’t “doing” anything. Also, it sounds like you’re looking for an excuse to take illegal drugs. I suspect you won’t last long with that attitude.

[QUOTE=Junie;118151]I appreciate anyone taking the time to look at this, and look forward to hearing your answers.
-Semper Paratus[/QUOTE]

Can’t say you didn’t ask for it but that has to be the most UTTERLY RIDICULOUS and ASININE post by anyone here yet!..it simply boggles my mind that nobody ever reads an old thread first or tries to get a clue before they make their first STOOPID post like yours SIR!

-Semper Idiotus

I need a drink!

You and your buddy should be ok as you have three good eyes total. That should get you thru the CG physical as long as you take it together. Also understand you’ll have to stand watch together and so forth as well.

Hope this helps and good luck

First, did you search the forums for info about MSC before posting?

Answered elsewhere, but since I’m a nice guy: Berthing depends on the ship. The ship I’m on, everyone gets their own room, on smaller ships, there might be 2 person per room, on others, mass berthing (I believe you get $1000 a month extra for mass berthing).

SRS is done by the Navy, you will be in the same training program as the enlisted guys. You get extra pay for that, and from what I’m told, allowed 5 hours OT per week to exercise. The admin says it doesn’t affect relief, but I’ve heard from others that if you are SRS, you will have a harder time getting relief because the ships have to carry SRS guys.

Fire party depends on what the deck department decides. I was on a tug, and it was just the ABs. I’m on an AKE now, and I dress out (I’m a 3AE).

Drug tests, all I know is there is a mandatory one for hiring. If you search hard enough, you can find the civmar manual online and see if that says anything about drug tests. I don’t do drugs, so I don’t give a shit. I don’t need to alter my perception of reality. Doing meth to stay awake is like putting a bandaid on a cut when you keep cutting yourself. They need to fix the problem and not cover up the symptoms. If I recall correctly, there is a Coast Guard reg that says you have to have a minimum of 8 hours of sleep or something.

What does your blind friend do now? I don’t think anyone can go to sea with only one eye (this ain’t the pirate days where eye patches fly).

‘Google before you type is the new think before you speak.’ ~ unknown

Doing a search for MSC resulted in nothing for me. Probably not enough characters to find any results? Anyhow, try searching alternates like “sealift command”. Here’s a head start.

[QUOTE=“MariaW;118157”]

Are you talking about “crystal meth” or prescription methamphetamine? I have a hard time believing that your mates were professional mariners taking illegal drugs. If they were prescriptions, they weren’t “doing” anything. Also, it sounds like you’re looking for an excuse to take illegal drugs. I suspect you won’t last long with that attitude.[/QUOTE]

Taking prescription methamphetamine is illegal if it isn’t prescribed to you and whichever of those it was his description makes it seem like they were doing it illegally. I got the impression he was trying to make sure he wouldn’t have to work with druggies, not looking to get away with doing drugs.

Man that was witty! I gotta say I had tears in my eye! Oh and btw, I did over 30 years with MSC, but I know nothing. ( some of the questions in the original post I simply could not bring myself to answer - sorry).

Yeah I’m still laughing on that one.

[QUOTE=MFOWelectrician;118167]Doing a search for MSC resulted in nothing for me. Probably not enough characters to find any results? Anyhow, try searching alternates like “sealift command”. Here’s a head start.

The search functions in online forums are always a crap shoot. I use Google: https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Agcaptain.com+search+terms+here

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;118171]Taking prescription methamphetamine is illegal if it isn’t prescribed to you and whichever of those it was his description makes it seem like they were doing it illegally. I got the impression he was trying to make sure he wouldn’t have to work with druggies, not looking to get away with doing drugs.[/QUOTE]

I thought the question was for reasons of avoiding detection, because the information about frequency of drug testing isn’t really useful otherwise. If you want to report someone for drug use (safety, etc.) you don’t have to wait for a drug test.

just a note for our “Always Ready Fool…”

this is the Google result for searching Military Sealift Command within www.gCaptain.com

This is not brain surgery here but simple internet search protocols…even an idiot can do it!

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;118161]You and your buddy should be ok as you have three good eyes total. That should get you thru the CG physical as long as you take it together. Also understand you’ll have to stand watch together and so forth as well.

Hope this helps and good luck[/QUOTE]

Not only good, but y’all have one to spare.

Monocular vision isn’t an outright duisqualification. See 46 CFR 10.215(b):

b) Vision Test —(1) Deck Standard. An applicant must have correctable vision to at least 20/40 in one eye and uncorrected vision of at least 20/200 in the same eye. An applicant having lost vision in one eye must wait six months before application and provide a statement of demonstrated ability on his or her medical examination…

The six month period is to allow time to compensate for the loss of the eye in developing/re-establishing depth perception, etc.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;118221]Not only good, but y’all have one to spare.

Monocular vision isn’t an outright duisqualification. See 46 CFR 10.215(b):

b) Vision Test —(1) Deck Standard. An applicant must have correctable vision to at least 20/40 in one eye and uncorrected vision of at least 20/200 in the same eye. An applicant having lost vision in one eye must wait six months before application and provide a statement of demonstrated ability on his or her medical examination…

The six month period is to allow time to compensate for the loss of the eye in developing/re-establishing depth perception, etc.[/QUOTE]

I believe, and correct me if I’m wrong, that they will have to split the pay as well. I can’t seem to find the specific CFR.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;118224]I believe, and correct me if I’m wrong, that they will have to split the pay as well. I can’t seem to find the specific CFR.[/QUOTE]

Probably, but it makes the work/rest problems easier…

MSC has to follow the “Americans with Disabilities Act”, so hiring by MSC with one eye shouldn’t be a problem.
There is an active drug testing program, the MSC is not a drug culture.
They will be a lot of sea time, hoops to jump through, dollars to spend and classes to sit through between QM on a 110’ and 3rd mate.
The SRS program has a recruiter and a pre-training fitness program in Norfolk, VA before attending Navy SRS school.
Stay in the USCG.