MSC or bust

I have a coastal job running a 42 foot boat and make $50,000 a year 40 hrs a week. Am I crazy for wanting to sign on as an OS at Military Sealift Command (MSC)?

Thanks,
Brad

YES unless you want a future as a deepsea mariner with a license

Brad

from what I’ve read here its one of two things- either spending lots of time ‘in the pool’ 'cause there isnt enough room in the ratings or always at sea, since there are few reliefs

I would definately like to get the training done and get the upper level sea-time. It would seem to me to be more money in the long run if I am able to get my third mates and then come back to coastal or to a company with better leave time. I have my 200GT and AB Spc and I figure that sailing deep-sea for a few years would be a good experience and benefit me in the long run for my overall goals.
Thanks for the replies,
Brad

[QUOTE=captainbrad;58453]I have a coastal job running a 42 foot boat and make $50,000 a year 40 hrs a week. Am I crazy for wanting to sign on as an OS at Military Sealift Command (MSC)?

Thanks,
Brad[/QUOTE]

YES. Don’t do it.

DO NOT DO IT. worst thing I ever did. I am here now have ab unlimited got hired as os. thought I could deal with it to get sea time. 2 months training 3 months on ship and only have 24 days seatime. they are short os’s and advancement will take you at least a year or more with very low pay. alot more negatives, pm for details. keep your job and enjoy life because this is not living.

Why not work on getting your 500 ton and getting on with an osv company? Better yet get you’re ab and find a tug company that’s doing long distance tows. Better pay and more time at home.

[QUOTE=captainbrad;58477]I would definately like to get the training done and get the upper level sea-time. It would seem to me to be more money in the long run if I am able to get my third mates and then come back to coastal or to a company with better leave time. I have my 200GT and AB Spc and I figure that sailing deep-sea for a few years would be a good experience and benefit me in the long run for my overall goals.
Thanks for the replies,
Brad[/QUOTE]

There, you have answered your own question. Do it as a stepping stone.

I go back and forth sometimes, but I suppose I will see in a few months when I see if I made the hiring list or not.