Winter Storms begin over Gulf of Alaska

Winter Storms beginover Gulf of Alaska

A developing 988MBstorm over the North Pacific will deepen and move northward into the easternBering Sea causing force 10-12 winds and seas to 25ft Sunday north of 59Nbetween 143W and 148W longitude.

http://oceanweatherservices.com/blog1/2012/09/16/winter-storms-begin-over-gulf-of-alaska/

Been there done that. Not wishing to do it again.

Jimmy Buffet don’t sail up there…

Bwah, ha, ha

when that piece of shit NOBLE DISCOVERER has to make its way back to Seattle, it’s gonna be full on winter and they’ll get their asses kicked. I’ve heard that is one of the most miserable riding ships on the planet!

GOOD!

Why would they tie a drillship up for the winter in Seattle? Wouldn’t it make more sense for them to go somewhere else and drill all winter?

[QUOTE=tugsailor;82599]Why would they tie a drillship up for the winter in Seattle? Wouldn’t it make more sense for them to go somewhere else and drill all winter?[/QUOTE]

there’ll be no time to get somewhere (SE Asia), drill and then get back in time for next summer plus they still have to get their emissions within compliance. Perhaps they might just hang in Dutch but I doubt it. They’ll go back to Vigor in Seattle. The KULLUK might stay in DH tho unless it needs alot more work in a shipyard. We’ll have to see?

Someone posted photos awhile ago that showed KULLUK firmly attached to the dock in Captains Bay by steel bracket arms. I don’t think they built all that without the intention of wintering over KULLUK right there.

Its hard to believe that it would be feasible to ever get the NOBLE DISCOVERER’s emissions within compliance. If Norwegian vessels can get waivers for Norwegian and Filipino crew to work in the Gulf of Mexico, its hard to believe that NOBLE cannot get continuing waivers for these ridiculous air emissions.

You’re the expert on this, not me, but it seems like the DISCO ought to be able to reach someplace in Asia to drill within six weeks (1st of December) and then leave mid-May to get back to Alaska by the 1st of July next year. That would give them about five months of drilling time. It would probably take the DISCO about a month to reach Seattle, maybe more in October and November weather. I hope they don’t leave her in Dutch as that seems too risky.

no claims to that effect from me but I had heard such would be the case for the DISCO after this season in the arctic

but it seems like the DISCO ought to be able to reach someplace in Asia to drill within six weeks (1st of December) and then leave mid-May to get back to Alaska by the 1st of July next year. That would give them about five months of drilling time.

makes sense on paper but that is supposing that nothing goes wrong on the well and with the DISCO something ALWAYS GOES WRONG! Rip her up and there goes next year in Alaska!

It would probably take the DISCO about a month to reach Seattle, maybe more in October and November weather.

no problem for Shell with the $$$ they’re willing to pump into that tub!

I hope they don’t leave her in Dutch as that seems too risky.

Ain’t that the truth with her always vigilant commanding officers!

btw…concerning her seakeeping qualities, anyone ever hear the story of the rolls she was taking after they let the anchor gear get all ripped up off of New Plymouth? Reports were coming in to shore that the ship was on the verge of capsizing! I heard 50+ degree rolls and with that derrick!