Why is my wife so "Overwhelmed"?

I just did a short survey of some friends working in the gulf asking how often they here their wife use the word “[I]overwhelmed[/I]”? It was a simple two part survey (I’ll put the survey results in parenthesis):

1. How often do you hear the word while you’re at work.
  2. How often do you hear the word while you’re at home.

The answers where pretty similar between the half dozen guys I asked:

1. occasionally
  2. All the F’n time!

I want to know why most wives are “[I]overwhelmed[/I]” when we are home. Most of us in the gulf call home everyday and shit seems to run smoothly but once we get home all hell breaks loose. Why?

I admit I don’t do as much work around the house as my wife but I do mow the lawn, fix everything, drive the kids to school, babysit so she can go shopping alone, etc. And, unlike some guys, I don’t make a mess and cause her a whole lot of extra work. Mostly I just sit on the couch watching TV or work on a project in my shed which she never goes into. So why does she get so [I]overwhelmed[/I] just by me being there?

[U][B][I]I want answers!![/I][/B][/U] :wink:

Because her boyfriend can not come over when your home

[QUOTE=celesticomper;85325]Mostly I just sit on the couch watching TV or work on a project in my shed which she never goes into.[/QUOTE]

I think “overwhelmed” is a nice way of saying “get your ass off the couch/out of the shed” and “do [insert chore] for me.”

She is so “overwhelmed” because good wives, especially those raising young kids, are creatures of routine and habit, wake at 600, fix the kids lunch, drive them to school, etc… but when you come home(if you’re like me), you take the fam on trips, out to dinner, sleep in till 730, let the big kid stay up late every once in a while, generate more laundry and more mess etc… it fucks up their routine. Just my 2 cents.

I just asked my wife, her reply is that I change her routine, and my sons sleep schedule.

[QUOTE=Mikey;85342]I think “overwhelmed” is a nice way of saying “get your ass off the couch/out of the shed” and “do [insert chore] for me.”[/QUOTE]

Mikey, I think you need to clear the wax out of your ears because I said "I do mow the lawn, fix everything, drive the kids to school, babysit so she can go shopping alone, etc. ". Yes I get about 12 hours of ass time every day but that only after I spend 6 hours doing chores. And these are mostly routine things that she has to do while I’m away. That’s exactly what confuses me because she has way less - 6 hours less - of chores to do when I am home but still she’s “overwhelmed”!

It just doesn’t make any logical sense!

[QUOTE=CurryAK;85339]Because her boyfriend can not come over when your home[/QUOTE]

That’s not it. She could bang away for hours and I wouldn’t hear her from the shed. Also she’s always happiest when she returns from her “shopping trips” without having bought anything which makes me wonder if she even makes it to the mall :wink:

She’s getting a full dose of unfiltered you! My wife is the same way by the twelfth day home she’s asking when crew change is.

That sounds about right.

That is funny because it is the exact opposite when I am not there. Helping my son with his home work, going to soccer, buying groceries, paying bills…it all seems to be so hard for her when I am not at home. When I am home everything goes pretty smooth. I have been married 13 years and she sometimes cries when I go back to work.

I am pretty wonderful when I think about it.

Capt. Lee my wife just informed me that she cries when I leave as well but they are tears of joy.

My guess is you need to develop your listening skills and try to learn how she is feeling about things

Let us know how it goes, none of us here has ever tried that approach.

K.C.

[QUOTE=ElCapitan;85362]Capt. Lee my wife just informed me that she cries when I leave as well but they are tears of joy.[/QUOTE]

You guys must not be able to sling it like I do!!

This pretty well sums it up for me…

@ Capt. Lee-

Newlyweds…

Wait until she’s finished with empty nest syndrome, menopause and becoming a senior citizen.
It’'ll all be YOUR fault.

Listening skills on feelings? I’ll stick to what I’m doing…

I think I have a better chance of learning not-really-listening-but-smiling-anyway faster than “listening skills”