Your not a true mariner till you have at least 1 divorce on your MMD

Does anyone agree? Any other poor bastards out there.?

Count me in. The best thing my Ex ever did for me is introduce me to my present wife. And no I did not cheat, we never went out until 3 months After my Divorce.

Why is Divorce so expensive? Because it’s worth it!!!

~~~~ and a Lady in every port ~~~~

I came ashore to get divorced. . . .

Sometimes when people find out what I do that ask “isn’t that hard being home half the time and being gone half the time? How do you manage it?”

My answer is that my wife and I just try to get along as best we can till it’s time for me to go back to work again.

K.C.

Yeah, my ex was that way. At least when I came ashore, I really wasn’t around as much as most folks who work ashore. After I was home for a few weeks between jobs, she would ask me when my next out of town job was. . . . .

One divorce and a long list of ex girlfriends… Current wife just puts up with ass until its time for me to go back to “prison”.

Came close a couple of times but never pulled that trigger. Once I understood I wasn’t the senior officer at home, I found life got that much easier. Like Bill Cosby said,“I’ve seen the bosses job, and I don’t want it”.

[QUOTE=captbbrucato;84759]Came close a couple of times but never pulled that trigger. Once I understood I wasn’t the senior officer at home, I found life got that much easier. Like Bill Cosby said,“I’ve seen the bosses job, and I don’t want it”.[/QUOTE]

Sounds about right. I came home one time when I was sailing Chief Mate and was explaining to my wife how to get the house shipshape. She told me “You think I’m your bos’n and the kids are your two daymen but we’re not”

K.C.

I’ve had the occasional AB superstar during my career. You know the type that everyone asks why they don’t just sit for their license? Their usual response is “I don’t want the responsibility or the hassle” to that I reply “Then get a license and get married then you’ll have what you want at least half the year”.

I never understood the guys who fight for control with their wives. When I get home I want to be like that AB and have not responsibilities or hassle.

About 7 years into my first marriage, we moved back to the states for the 2nd time. I was working 14/7 and was told the sched would move to 28/14. My ex pitched a fit so I took a job with a neighbor in a rigging loft. This was the only shore job I really loved. I came home every day at lunch and at 1700 hrs covered in cable lube and 2nd degree burns from molten zinc. After about 10 days of steady cooking and cleaning up after me, my ex told me how she was concerned about my happiness and me NOT going to sea. A couple of days later, I crewchanged on regular schedule. I never quit my regular job.

One of the Captains that I worked with put it perfectly. "The Woman that you NEED to run your household while you are gone is the type of woman that you hate to live with. I was very lucky and found a great wife to second time around. The problem is the woman has to make all of the decisions while we are at sea and then we come home and try to do it our way. Just about the worse thing to do is second guess them which pisses them off to no end. And we all have to sleep some time. LOL

Brilliant!

Brilliant!

[QUOTE=injunear;84776]About 7 years into my first marriage, we moved back to the states for the 2nd time. I was working 14/7 and was told the sched would move to 28/14. My ex pitched a fit so I took a job with a neighbor in a rigging loft. This was the only shore job I really loved. I came home every day at lunch and at 1700 hrs covered in cable lube and 2nd degree burns from molten zinc. After about 10 days of steady cooking and cleaning up after me, my ex told me how she was concerned about my happiness and me NOT going to sea. A couple of days later, I crewchanged on regular schedule. I never quit my regular job.[/QUOTE]

In my 39 years going to sea, I’ve witnessed many domestic horror stories. Especially before instant world-wide communications. I lived a couple also!. The natural reflex after the termination of a sour nuptial is to seek revenge. I’ve seen several do gaol time in their quest for revenge. I learned early on that the best revenge is to show her that you’re happy.

I remarried 6 years after getting divorced. 24 years later, today my wife and I argue about using live or artificial bait. This is my idea of a strained relationship!

I was married for a total 6 months after going offshore. Haven’t looked back since.

I know plenty of guys who have been at sea all their lives and have been married 30+ years. My parents being one of them.

I’m coming up on my second year of marriage and find the toughest part of the job on our relationship is coming home and having to be reminded that I am not the boss at home.

3 times in 25 years for me, then I married a Brazilian. Ahhh happiness!!!