Why are there never any jobs in the deck department posted for NCL and MSC?

[QUOTE=MariaW;102773]Well, here’s a question, what about new OS’s? I recently saw an MSC tanker dock, and there were at least 10 guys on deck, not a single woman, and half of them were more fluent in a foreign language than English. One of them even shouted an instruction in what sounded like Filipino. They were all middle-aged. So where does the MSC hire their deckhands? If they were all transfered from the steward’s department, where are the women? Why doesn’t it say on the site that this is the route you must go? This was not the first time I saw an MSC ship./QUOTE]

WTF is your agenda?

[QUOTE=MariaW;102773]Well, here’s a question, what about new OS’s? I recently saw an MSC tanker dock, and there were at least 10 guys on deck, not a single woman, and half of them were more fluent in a foreign language than English. One of them even shouted an instruction in what sounded like Filipino. They were all middle-aged. So where does the MSC hire their deckhands? If they were all transfered from the steward’s department, where are the women? Why doesn’t it say on the site that this is the route you must go? This was not the first time I saw an MSC ship. The last one I saw had no women on deck either. What gives?[/QUOTE]

WTF is your agenda?

I found out some more information. The USNS ship that I saw was owned and operated by OSI, a contractor. It was very old and beaten up.

[QUOTE=Skiing Salem Sailor;102922]WTF is your agenda?[/QUOTE]

The reason I included all that information is I was wondering if a USNS ship can include foreign workers, if run by a contractor. Sorry I wasn’t clear. I guess not all naval supply ships are run by MSC? It turns out it WAS owned and operated by a contractor. It was a single hulled tanker. And I’m guessing MSC has nothing to do with contracted vessels, am I right? I didn’t know that. My follow up questions are obviously based on wrong assumptions. I shouldn’t have assumed it was MSC, but that was based on a comment someone who was next to me made. Sorry for mixing several questions into one.

In the back of my mind I was wondering if the government was exploiting some loophole the way cruise ships do in order to pay the people doing that work next-to-nothing.

I have wondered this for quite some time now.

You’ve got to be kidding.

If what you imply we’re true then MSC would have mostly black, brown, yellow and female chief mates, captains, firsts and ChEngs. I can count on one hand the number of the above I’ve seen at MSC, and on two hands the number of the above I know of in MSC.

As to getting a 3/M license as a hawsepiper who is male and white: I’ve promoted just fine, thank you. Never been written up, ever, in any job, ever, at sea or ashore, ever, so maybe I just don’t fuck up enough to understand where you’re coming from.

[QUOTE=DeckApe;102932]You’ve got to be kidding.

If what you imply we’re true then MSC would have mostly black, brown, yellow and female chief mates, captains, firsts and ChEngs. I can count on one hand the number of the above I’ve seen at MSC, and on two hands the number of the above I know of in MSC.

As to getting a 3/M license as a hawsepiper who is male and white: I’ve promoted just fine, thank you. Never been written up, ever, in any job, ever, at sea or ashore, ever, so maybe I just don’t fuck up enough to understand where you’re coming from.[/QUOTE] Well, kid. You apparently didn’t read my post very well. I said I had been written up, didn’t I? One write up in your past and you won’t make the “best qualified” list. so get over yourself, Jesus.

In MSC the vast majority of actionable disciplinary opportunities are just not written up due to the paperwork and follow up required no matter how well deserved. By the time someone is actually written up its likely they deserve several. If someone was written up just once it’s safe to assume they fuck up repeatedly and often.

And this idea that write ups prevent promotions is not always true. It all depends on the rate. Write up as an AB and you’re likely screwed for years. Write up as a second mate with solid ammunition experience and you’ll promote due to the needs of the fleet.

[QUOTE=MariaW;102929]The reason I included all that information is I was wondering if a USNS ship can include foreign workers, if run by a contractor. Sorry I wasn’t clear. I guess not all naval supply ships are run by MSC? It turns out it WAS owned and operated by a contractor. It was a single hulled tanker. And I’m guessing MSC has nothing to do with contracted vessels, am I right? I didn’t know that. My follow up questions are obviously based on wrong assumptions. I shouldn’t have assumed it was MSC, but that was based on a comment someone who was next to me made. Sorry for mixing several questions into one.

In the back of my mind I was wondering if the government was exploiting some loophole the way cruise ships do in order to pay the people doing that work next-to-nothing.[/QUOTE]

For the gazillionth time, all USNS are “owned” or chartered by MSC (like the BBC Seattle), some are operated directly, some are contract operated.

Let me guess, you saw the Lawrence Gianella? Recently pulled back out of the Beaumont stack for service up and down the East coast. No “foreign” guys on that ship. There is no “loophole,” all the MSC ships have to be crewed by US citizens, because of the nature of the mission.

Are you looking for employment or what?? You keep asking the same thing over and over again and we are trying to help you, but nothing seems to be getting through to you.

[QUOTE=catherder;102987]
Are you looking for employment or what?? You keep asking the same thing over and over again and we are trying to help you, but nothing seems to be getting through to you.[/QUOTE]

I was trying to answer the guy asking what my agenda was. You’ve already answered my questions with what you know.

[QUOTE=DeckApe;102959]In MSC the vast majority of actionable disciplinary opportunities are just not written up due to the paperwork and follow up required no matter how well deserved. By the time someone is actually written up its likely they deserve several. If someone was written up just once it’s safe to assume they fuck up repeatedly and often.

And this idea that write ups prevent promotions is not always true. It all depends on the rate. Write up as an AB and you’re likely screwed for years. Write up as a second mate with solid ammunition experience and you’ll promote due to the needs of the fleet.[/QUOTE]

I’m went head on after John Lampkey (think Don Skarka, and the rumors are true) when he tried to bully me around through the office. The office actually relayed some stuff back to the ship with my name on it, which was illegal. Now I’m suing the agency for having to leave for safety concerns after the legal department overturned my disciplinary action obtained through confidential means. The captain minimized the reprimand to a letter of caution because he knew he had no ground to stand on with issuing it, but the chief still wanted to discipline me for being a civilian who knew their rights.

They also issued me a reprimand for calling an African American cook on a ship a ranch cook (cookie), and my lawyer said to stop pointing out all of the errors in the system.

Major changes are going through the office side of the agency due to the actions of one man knowing their rights because the director came into class, and spelled out “you are civilians”, and not entitled to the Merchant Marine Acts.

[QUOTE=DeckApe;102959]In MSC the vast majority of actionable disciplinary opportunities are just not written up due to the paperwork and follow up required no matter how well deserved. By the time someone is actually written up its likely they deserve several. If someone was written up just once it’s safe to assume they fuck up repeatedly and often.

And this idea that write ups prevent promotions is not always true. It all depends on the rate. Write up as an AB and you’re likely screwed for years. Write up as a second mate with solid ammunition experience and you’ll promote due to the needs of the fleet.[/QUOTE] Perhaps in the MSC of today. When I was there it was a little different. About the only thing that hasn’t changed is the fact that minorities and women don’t get written up as a rule, because the supervisors are afraid of the resultant paperwork. I am glad you are what we used to call a"golden boy".

[QUOTE=catherder;102987]For the gazillionth time, all USNS are “owned” or chartered by MSC (like the BBC Seattle), some are operated directly, some are contract operated.

Let me guess, you saw the Lawrence Gianella? Recently pulled back out of the Beaumont stack for service up and down the East coast. No “foreign” guys on that ship. There is no “loophole,” all the MSC ships have to be crewed by US citizens, because of the nature of the mission.

Are you looking for employment or what?? You keep asking the same thing over and over again and we are trying to help you, but nothing seems to be getting through to you.[/QUOTE]

[B]http://www.msc.navy.mil/inventory/citations/gianella.htm[/B]

"The President of the United States takes Pleasure in Presenting the Merchant Marine Distinguished Service Medal to
[B]Lawrence H. Gianella[/B]*
Radio Operator on SS Prusa 12/19/41
[B]For heroism beyond the line of duty.[/B]

The ship in which he served was in mid-Pacific when struck by an enemy torpedo. The explosion blew through the after decks; the engines and dynamos were completely wrecked; and it was immediately apparent that the ship would remain afloat only a few minutes. Orders were given to prepare to abandon ship, and instructions sent to the Radio Operator to send an S.O.S. The officer who delivered the message found Gianella already engaged in rigging an emergency set. Lifeboats were lowered away, and the Master then sent orders to Gianella to abandon ship. But the Radio Operator had not been able to get his message through. Realizing that upon him rested all hope for the rescue of his shipmates, the pull of duty and tradition was too strong to overcome. Gianella refused to leave his post and chose to face certain death in his stark devotion to duty.

His self-sacrificing courage and fidelity to trust are in keeping with the finest traditions of the United States Merchant Marine.

For the President
Admiral Emory Scott Land"

[B]VESSELS OPERATED BY OSI RECEIVE AWARDS HONORING PROFESSIONALISM OF MARINERS[/B]
June 10, 2008

During the recent Awards Luncheon hosted by the Chamber of Shipping in Houston Texas , two ships the USNS Richard G. Matthiesen and USNS Paul Buck, operated and managed by Ocean Shipholdings were honored for operating a total of 1750 days without any lost-time accident or injuries to the crew. [B]Additionally, a Citation of Merit was issued to the USNS Lawrence H. Gianella for actions in keeping with the highest tradition of the sea – aid to those in peril.

The Captain and [I][/I][U]crew [/U]of these ships are commended for their hard work, due diligence and professionalism of the Merchant Mariner. [/B]

Jones F. Devlin Award
Issued on June 5, 2008 by the Chamber of Shipping of America
To: USNS Richard G Matthiesen
For Operating 934 consecutive days without a lost-time accident.

Jones F. Devlin Award
To: USNS Paul Buck
For Operating 816 consecutive days without a lost-time accident.

Jones F. Devlin Award
To: Ocean Shipholdings, Inc. Attesting that the vessels USNS Paul Buck and USNS Richard G Matthiesen
Received Jones F. Devlin awards on June 5, 2008 And the USNS Paul Buck and USNS Richard G. Matthiesen
Vessels operated a total of four years with no lost-time injuries.

http://www.oceanshipholdings.com/osi_receive_awards.html

So when whitey gets written up for fucking up he doesn’t deserve it because if whitey were colored or female he would have got away with it. Did I get that right?

I just don’t get caught.

Everyone gets a fair chance here, until you prove otherwise. Unfortunately, the system is rigged, we can argue about this till the cows come home. If our deckhand walked off deck, while the rest of the crew was pulling hauser in Feb, we would verbally abuse him, dont even think about that with a minority or a female. Was on a tug, where the captain kept the tv turned off, on the 0600-1200 watch, so his engineer wouldnt watch cartoons, actually make him do his job, and because he was a minority, he was untouchable. Just my 2 cents.

[QUOTE=DeckApe;103047]So when whitey gets written up for fucking up he doesn’t deserve it because if whitey were colored or female he would have got away with it. Did I get that right?

I just don’t get caught.[/QUOTE] No one said the white guy din’t deserve it, oolden boy. You’re dismissed kid. Get lost.

[QUOTE=BargeMonkey;103069]Everyone gets a fair chance here, until you prove otherwise. Unfortunately, the system is rigged, we can argue about this till the cows come home. If our deckhand walked off deck, while the rest of the crew was pulling hauser in Feb, we would verbally abuse him, dont even think about that with a minority or a female. Was on a tug, where the captain kept the tv turned off, on the 0600-1200 watch, so his engineer wouldnt watch cartoons, actually make him do his job, and because he was a minority, he was untouchable. Just my 2 cents.[/QUOTE]

I have seen that before. I had a deckhand he did NOTHING but sit in the galley and watch movies. On the third night I walked down there and unplugged it. He asked “why did you do that?” I told him once he did his nightly duties I would plug it back in. That became a nightly thing until he made the connection between his duties and watching movies.

Had a deckhand who called his duties on watch his chores. I told him when you live with your parents they are chores, when you do something & get paid to do it, it’s your job.

Well, sorta back to the original subject, if you want to ship gov’t it’s slow as drizzly shit in January right now partly due to sequester…NOAA drops in and out, and my apps are in at MSC but they are only picking up Jr engineers at this moment (I applied for that also). They advertise more, but the ships get a weekly manning update and I was shown the current one yesterday. They are 100 percent or more manned in most departments and positions (I guess that includes the pool rats).

Can’t say about the union jobs. I’ll slide over to the SIU hall this week just to talk to the patrolman about what I need to do to join and get my C book, but my real plan is to get down to the bayou in a month or as soon as I can break away on the job. Maybe I can go under the pretense of visiting customers there. I’m about out of vacation (used it up to go to classes). Meanwhile I’ll gather my paperwork and some medical files…

Maria, gender should be the least of your worries, there is a little bit of bigotry out there but I have found that hard work and a thick skin overcomes most anything, don’t be one of those chicks who are loathe to break a nail and you’ll be fine wherever you go. I survived the Navy and 10 years in shipyards on the waterfront so I know.

[QUOTE=Flyer69;102931]I have wondered this for quite some time now.[/QUOTE]

I wonder as well but I assume she’s looking for work? I dunno.