Who is a "Real Mariner" ? Who decides?

That’s right tomahawk you tell them. I join you with a rousing pish posh on this sentiment. After we disconnect from our barrel Muffy and I were thinking of departing dear old Larchmont and doing the Route du Rhumm ourselves. But I’ve got a bit of the gout so I chose the “route to the rum” if you know what I mean old boy. Cheerio and keep fighting the good fight. Muffy, I say Muffy bring me that snifter please.

8 Likes

Yep, I have several in the family (one is a Chief and one had a collapsed lung from fire fighting).

Come on now… just because a stupid WAFI did that please don’t tar us all with that brush. Indeed you may be very much entertained by the attitude of WAFI’s towards plonkers in gin palaces…(floating fornicators) when it comes to the simple issues such as Colregs.

Can I say I am very very wary of you guys in your extremely big ships sitting ten stories up … I am all too aware that no one would notice if I got run down… That’s not to say I haven’t held my course… bit only after watched you like a hawk and know I will clear.

In my opinion it is hard not to lump them all together when a commercial mariner spends most of his time on the water versus ashore. With WAFI’s it is typically the opposite and it shows in how they handle themselves. Trust me we see you. Staring at you from my ivory tower through binoculars and muttering “don’t you do it.”

Think of how a truck driver might view a soccer mom’s driving on the interstate and you’ll get it.

3 Likes

Yup… that’s pretty much what every last one of us “plonkers” says when we see a pleasure boater. Usually with some colorful adjectives included.

3 Likes

How ironic it would be to get ran over by a ship while reading my iPad, by a ship full of iPads from coming from China.

1 Like

Will these hand ne’er be clean?

I like to think you’re always one. All mariners are equal. But some are more equal than others…?

2 Likes

I think the correct term is a floating fornicatoriam and one of the crew is able seaman Staines.

Can’t say I ever heard the term WAFI used on the Bridge. I have seen it used on the internet. If it’s a term you guys like go ahead and use it.

Not saying I have never heard other terms used. Or used other terms. I do tend to assume the other vessel particularly pleaser vessels and fishing vessels are likely to do something odd. I am generally pleasantly surprised when they do the right thing.
Truth is I apply the same thought process to commercial and naval vessels as well.

I wondered how this thread started. Something to do with a Marshall Islands yacht certificates.

We could also ask about Liberian or Panamanian certificates. The company just sent a copy of my certificate the required fee and 12 corn flake packet tops or whatever else was required and it came in the mail and looked very much more impressive than my certificate I was hired with.

Bottom line you need one to sail on a Liberian registered ship. You probably need a Marshall island certificate. Of the required validity to sail on a Marshal islands registered vessel in the required capacity.

I doubt if the authorities on the Marshal islands give a rats what any one here thinks

If silver crosses your palm. You are a paid professional. With all the responsibility which comes with the position. Regardless of the level of certificate.

90% of the time I read all posts before replying but even the question here sounds juvenile!
Who decides are usually the guys with the most sea time who’ve been on several different ships. Other crew of any stripe recognize these guys.

I would describe myself as a recreational mariner. I have the luxury of choosing to not put to sea if I don’t like the look of the weather forecast. My boat is only 40 foot, big by yachting standards, but tiny in the middle of the Bay of Biscay. I have no doubt some would deride me for that. However I would counter by observing I am navigating within the limits of my vessel and crew. That counts for safety and is surely one of the most basic of all seafaring requirements. I respect the sea and have no desire to pit myself against it. As the many boats now retired from the Route du Ruhm show as well as the El Faro and dozens of other vessels which have foundered, even the best prepared vessel can and will be beaten by the sea.

I respect all of you who work the sea for a living and have to contend with weather regardless of the forecast. I hope that should we meet in a bar we can both share a drink and exchange experiences.