Question:

Pertaining to the Sea Shepherds:

How many quartermasters would you normally find on a vessel registered as a (snort) yacht?

Thanks in advance…

By the way, those of us who think Watson is a complete moron over at the Whale Wars site think you guys are great…

As an EX Navy QM , I really hate the way the term Quartermaster is thrown around like it is on that show…Quartermaster is/was a noble rate in the US Navy , it was to identify the rating, that was the Navigators right hand…

In truth the Quartermaster actually did the work that the Navigator got credit for but that is beside the point.!!!:cool:

So very true…

So there is usually only one? Or one per watch?

(I hate it too…especially since obviously none of them have any maritime experience…)

I can only speak from my own experience, some 20 plus years ago…

Out at sea, there was one per watch …Usually on a 3 watch system but not always…Sometimes it would be port and starboard…4 hours on . 4 hours off…

Coming in or out of port, and any time there was a special evolution that was close to shore, like anchoring or ammo transfers at San Fran or Seal Beach there was a special sea and anchor detail…Then you had a QM, on both bridge wings, shooting bearings, one as a bearing recorder, one as a plotter…and one as a radar plotter…And usually if you had a few newbies , they would be standing around at the the plot, looking like the proverbial deer in the headlights…:cool:

Kinda like the ones on that whale wars show !!:smiley:

Usually they are asking “So what’s the plan, Paul?” …to no avail.

Thanks for the info. It is appreciated…

I was a Quartermaster in the Navy too. We would have a QM as Master Helmsman during sea and anchor detail and for underway replenishment. There would also be a QM in after steering along with the QMs taking bearings, keeping the deck log and on the navigation plot.

I do not know of any Quartermaster position on yachts or in the merchant marine. I thinks they got that from the movie “Master and Commander” about the same time Watson went to the costume shop and bought his “uniform”.

It is a bit disgusting to see the “Whale Wars” people using this title for members of their crew. There should be a disclaimer at the beginning of the show stating that none of the people on the show are professional mariner nor are they licensed to act in that capacity.

[quote=DPWinter;18060]I was a Quartermaster in the Navy too. We would have a QM as Master Helmsman during sea and anchor detail and for underway replenishment. There would also be a QM in after steering along with the QMs taking bearings, keeping the deck log and on the navigation plot.

I do not know of any Quartermaster position on yachts or in the merchant marine. I thinks they got that from the movie “Master and Commander” about the same time Watson went to the costume shop and bought his “uniform”.

It is a bit disgusting to see the “Whale Wars” people using this title for members of their crew. There should be a disclaimer at the beginning of the show stating that none of the people on the show are professional mariner nor are they licensed to act in that capacity.[/quote]

That is what I thought…

Delusions of grandeur…Thanks