Who can sign off Chief Mate Assessments?

I have done an extensive search of the forum on this subject. It doesn’t appear that the question of “Can a 6000 ton OSV Master sign off a persons Chief Mate Assessments?” was ever answered. Was this ever resolved? Would it need to be on a vessel over 3000 ITC? Or just over 1600 tons? It seems to me that the policy letter intends it to be a C/M or Unlimited Master. But… If the boat is big enough, and the Master has the license to operate it, why not? Is this subject still under review at the NMC? Thanks

Yeah he can and yes it does have to be over 3,000 … Go for it!

[QUOTE=“rjbpilot;118902”]

Yeah he can and yes it does have to be over 3,000 … Go for it![/QUOTE]

So a 500/3000 on a 220’ won’t cut it, huh?

The best advice is call 1-800-iasknmc they have the correct answers. They make the policy. Go to them directly. Too many guys listen to “I know” people, but when it comes down to it, the uscg knows. Ask for Donna she has a hard last name

[QUOTE=papermate;118915]The best advice is call 1-800-iasknmc they have the correct answers. They make the policy. Go to them directly. Too many guys listen to “I know” people, but when it comes down to it, the uscg knows. Ask for Donna she has a hard last name[/QUOTE]

Worst advice I have ever heard. The NMC does not make the policy they are simple a group of retards paid to misinterpret the policies made by the Coast Guard, and randomly screw mariners making an honest efforts to abide by the laws and “policies” even though the policies are not laws… just merely suggestions on how to interpret the laws without legally changing the law.

Fill out your assessments, send them in, if you get denied, write a request for reconsideration, if denied again, write an appeal. It’s a long process and you have certain time constraints so read the CFR’s on the appeal process.

[QUOTE=papermate;118915]The best advice is call 1-800-iasknmc they have the correct answers. They make the policy. …[/QUOTE]

No, they don’t. Policy is made in Coast Guard Headquarters, in this case, in the Mariner Credentialing Program Policy Division.

…this is the type of person that “knows it all” that’s who I’d listen to! I’ve started at an OS and now hold a 3rd mate unlimited, I’ve listened to the guys that “know” and had years of delays. So yeah, I’d listen to this guy for sure… He “knows”. Please don’t let me imply he does not. He very well could have the correct answer. I have has good and bad advice from NMC but find someone that is knowledgeable and use that person ie ms Donna at the NMC.

Oh, I’m sorry, he’s right they don’t make it. But they have to know it.

Also can a Foreign Going Master sign off these assessment?