Where to live?

New academy grad here, looking to move here soon. Where’s a good place to live for a mariner? Should one live close to a major port/union hall in order to possibly reduce traveling time for jobs, or is that impossible/hard to predict? Should I live somewhere close to the union schools so in my off time it would be easier to take classes? Or should I just try to find an area I enjoy with a relatively low cost of living? Just looking for your opinion/experiences/what would you do if you could do it all over again. Thanks for your responses.

[QUOTE=NewGrad;146303]New academy grad here, looking to move here soon. Where’s a good place to live for a mariner? Should one live close to a major port/union hall in order to possibly reduce traveling time for jobs, or is that impossible/hard to predict? Should I live somewhere close to the union schools so in my off time it would be easier to take classes? Or should I just try to find an area I enjoy with a relatively low cost of living? Just looking for your opinion/experiences/what would you do if you could do it all over again. Thanks for your responses.[/QUOTE]

All my experience is in the GOM… Live anywhere you want, just show up for crew change. But please don’t bitch and gripe about how tired you are from your travels. I knew one dude that lived in Peru and flew in the day before crew change, said it was awesome and not that expensive. I think tug guys have a shorter rotation so travel ain’t so fun if you have to do it every 7 days. Have no idea how the union thing works, they probably send a car for you or something…

Pick a state with no state taxes. Florida, Texas, Washington, ect. It will save you a lot of money as say living in California with a 13.5% state tax. If you land a job at 150k yearly the 20k a year you save will buy a pretty nice house.

Had a mate who graduated from Cal Maritime who moved to the mid city area of New Orleans, and he loves it. It’s a growing area, and if you like to be on the ground floor of a growing area of gentrification, its not a bad choice. Plenty of cultural and historical reasons to live here. Crime? sure. No worse than lots of major metro areas. Just don’t neglect to send the the spawn to private schools, of which there are plenty of options. I know the bigger companies down here have lots of people who come from all over the globe, but being local-ish just might give you a leg up when they need to fill a spot at the top of the ladder. Not being geo-centric, just a fact of life.

[QUOTE=Ea$y Money;146306]All my experience is in the GOM… Live anywhere you want, just show up for crew change. But please don’t bitch and gripe about how tired you are from your travels. I knew one dude that lived in Peru and flew in the day before crew change…[/QUOTE]

Since we are apparently now answering the unasked question “Where shouldn’t I live?”, let me start that list with Mississippi, Louisiana and East Texas. This part of the country ranks at the top of every conceivable negative category, e.g., obesity, un-wed teen pregnancy, poor performing public schools, fetal alcohol syndrome, poverty, incest, domestic violence, etc, etc, etc. Take Louisiana for example: here you have a state that, despite being a de facto ward of the energy industry (due to a natural resource that none of its inhabitants can take credit for), still manages to have many of its own people living in tin-roofed hovels and living hand-to-mouth. Even if you take a job in this shit hole, it doesn’t mean you have to live here. Accordingly, if you decide to work in the GOM, make it with an employer that pays for travel, if possible. Good luck.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Ea$y Money;146306]All my experience is in the GOM… Live anywhere you want, just show up for crew change. But please don’t bitch and gripe about how tired you are from your travels. I knew one dude that lived in Peru and flew in the day before crew change…[/QUOTE]

Since we are apparently now answering the unasked question “Where shouldn’t I live?”, let me start that list with Mississippi, Louisiana and East Texas. This part of the country ranks at the top of every conceivable negative category, e.g., obesity, un-wed teen pregnancy, poor performing public schools, fetal alcohol syndrome, poverty, incest, domestic violence, etc, etc, etc. Take Louisiana for example: here you have a state that, despite being a de facto ward of the energy industry (due to a natural resource that none of its inhabitants can take credit for), still manages to have many of its own people living in tin-roofed hovels and living hand-to-mouth. Even if you take a job in this shit hole, it doesn’t mean you have to live here. Accordingly, if you decide to work in the GOM, make it with an employer that pays for travel, if possible. Good luck.

Northwest Florida between Pensacola and Panama City is nice, sugar white beaches, a lot of fresh water creeks and rivers. Also, close to the boat companies in the GoM.

Thanks for the input. I obtain my license in March, maybe I’ll go down to New Orleans for Mardi Gras and scope it out. Did some cadet time on a tanker in the gulf, spent time in Lake Charles and Beaumont, wasn’t really my cup of tea, haha. We did go down to Corpus Christi though and wouldn’t mind living there though. I got an old Navy buddy who lives in Destin doing charter fishing, he loves it down there. I visited Panama City once, but unfortunately remember very little about it, haha.

I get my license in March, maybe I’ll go down to Mardi Gras and check New Orleans out. I got an old Navy buddy down in Destin, he said the fishing is pretty good down there. I went to Panama City once during spring break, but cannot remember much, besides that I had a great time, haha. I was a cadet on a tanker in the Gulf, pulled into Beaumont and Lake Charles frequently, not my cup of tea, haha. We got down to Corpus Christi though, wouldn’t mind living down there. Dated a girl from Maryland, lots of money in that area, but COL is through the roof. Still, maybe I can land myself a sugar mama lobbyist and quit sailing, there’s an idea!

california, in general, is expensive to live in. If you have aspirations one day of getting a harbor job i.e. san diego, LA/LB, etc…good steady ones are few and far between. Not exactly a flourishing workboat environment…in so cal at least.

I live in CA. It’s pricey…rents and taxes can be a little hard to swallow. I’m in the Bay Area…having the redwoods, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, and gorgeous surroundings a short drive away make it worth it.

It all depends on what you want to do and what part of the maritime industry you choose to work in. The point above about a tax free state is important. Are there still services in Nevada (or other tax free states) that offer drop boxes for residency? I remember seeing fliers for those in the San Francisco MEBA hall waaaay back when. When I worked for Crowley, I moved to where I was based (Lake Charles) since they didn’t pay transportation. I also picked up a lot of extra work when I was off; but too many times when I didn’t want it. It was also hard to turn it down. I drew the line at putting up hands for free in my apartment. I figured if they wanted someone to do that, the Port Engineers could. . . If you work for a company that pays travel, well the world is your oyster. . . .

[QUOTE=Number360;146309]Pick a state with no state taxes. Florida, Texas, Washington, ect. It will save you a lot of money as say living in California with a 13.5% state tax. If you land a job at 150k yearly the 20k a year you save will buy a pretty nice house.[/QUOTE]

One of the nice things about sailing is that you can live where you want. You do not have to live near where the job is. I would also say the states where there are no income taxes are good places to pick. New Hampshire is also an option. With all of those places to pick from, you can live in environment that you like. If you like beaches and warm weather move to Florida. If you like mountains, live in Washington or New Hampshire. Texas, well I am not sure why anyone would live there except for good Mexican food.

[QUOTE=RespectMyAuthority;146359]One of the nice things about sailing is that you can live where you want. You do not have to live near where the job is. I would also say the states where there are no income taxes are good places to pick. New Hampshire is also an option. With all of those places to pick from, you can live in environment that you like. If you like beaches and warm weather move to Florida. If you like mountains, live in Washington or New Hampshire. Texas, well I am not sure why anyone would live there except for good Mexican food.[/QUOTE]

Most of it isn’t that good. . . . .

Just remember that is Austin is full…

[QUOTE=RespectMyAuthority;146359]One of the nice things about sailing is that you can live where you want… Texas, well I am not sure why anyone would live there except for good Mexican food.[/QUOTE]

Far better Mexican food in Arizona and New Mexico.

[QUOTE=Heat Miser;146375]Far better Mexican food in Arizona and New Mexico.[/QUOTE]

or dare I say Mexico?

Pick a place that is not far from work but yet far enough to keep the office from calling you in early. Also need good hunting area and a state with no strict gun laws.

[QUOTE=Jemplayer;146372]Just remember that is Austin is full…[/QUOTE]
I know some think Austin is great. I guess when you compare it to Houston, Beaumont, Lubbock or Orange it seems great. Bayonne, NJ seems nice compared to those places and I think Bayonne is an armpit.

Californians love moving to Austin. That should tell you whatever you need to know about it, good or bad.

[QUOTE=Slick Cam;146393]Californians love moving to Austin. That should tell you whatever you need to know about it, good or bad.[/QUOTE]
That sounds pretty bad…