Where do Shade Tree Mechanics Buy Tools These Days?

Oh yes, as long as there’s motivated people too poor or too cheap to pay auto repair shop prices there will be shade tree mechanics.

On a side note, my family growing up was too poor to take any of our vehicles to a real mechanic. Not once did anyone ever set foot inside of a real shop. At the time, being ignorant of things important, I was ashamed that we always fixed our own vehicles no matter how small or large the repair. In hindsight I am grateful for all the hours of holding flashlights & passing tools for a family member under a hood, engine or transmission. We were poor, uneducated bumpkins but without a doubt more mechanically inclined than 90% of the population.

7 Likes

In a Joann Fabrics store you will find crowds of 40+ women clutching their coupon books. Slowly browsing the aisles, looking for something that strikes their fancy. A new pair of fabric scissors? A few yards of that cute fabric? Some new knitting needles.

In a Harbor freight you will find crowds of 40+ men clutching their coupon books. Slowly browsing the aisles, looking for something that strikes their fancy. A new pair of vice grips? A flux core welder? Maybe that welding hood with flame graphics?

I was just in a harbor freight, I went for one item and left with five.

4 Likes

They had some smoking deals for labor day weekend. I was just in there too.

1 Like

I started with Craftsman when I was 14 and racing dirt bikes. Great tools. After high school I went to work at new car dealerships as a mechanic, until I discovered work boats. During that time I bought all Snap-on. My tool boxes have appreciated, and I still have all of it. The stuff is expensive but in my opinion worth it if you’re using it all day every day.

The problem with Home Depot or Lowe’s is they won’t have mechanic tools. Auto Zone and the like won’t have good mechanic tools either. I found that if you have a Northern Tool around, that’s your best bet. Since Sears’ demise and Napa just being like Auto Zone now, it’s the one I go to first for “real” mechanic tools.
Their house signature brand “Krutch” seems to be of decent quality. They have a house economy brand too “Ironton” that’ll get the job done and isn’t a bad value but it is what it is.

Go try to find an “M” size drill bit that you need to tap an exhaust manifold for a pyrometer at Auto Zone and notice the bewildered gaze of the clerk.

yea, really. just try finding numbered bits on special !!! emphasis on finding !!