When is radar on a vessel for hire needed

Hi i recently talked with an owner of a small water taxi company who claimed his smaller vessel did not need radar . (2 boats 1 a 45 ft monohull and the other a 28 ft rib). The second has no radar I refused to run it at night because its my understanding that a vessel for HIRE has to have working radar and it MUST be on at all times especialy night . Its in an area of commerical shipping fog and tides .And I value my ticket.and my lively hood. I told him if anything happened its my ticket and all he has to say is the captain should know better and his company was the one responsable ) yea right. Tried to find it in the CFRs.

cheers

46 cfr 15.815

46 CFR 77.09 . 46 CFR 184.404 . Looks like the owner was right… By the way a radar does not have to always be on while navigating.

[QUOTE=coldduck;165478]46 CFR 77.09 . 46 CFR 184.404 . Looks like the owner was right… By the way a radar does not have to always be on while navigating.[/QUOTE]

The owner was dead right but you will be the one who is just dead.

hard to belive it.

just to let everyone know cfr 184.04 was the only one that per trained to it. And upon reading it only 3 D made any sense of things. which says a vessel on a short route need not be fitted as long as the OCMI determines that radar is not needed due the the vessels route and weather conditions. HUMM let me get this right SAN FRANCISCO bay has no shipping traffic ,NO Tides , NO Fog and more. Than I guess I see things different.

Bobo nobody said you had to work there.

Its your choice to eat the shit sandwich or not, if you don’t like the way joe boss does business then show him with your feet and walk away and work elsewhere. Personally I have a small radar on my personal small fishing boat and would never work on a boat without it. for $1,500, or less if you find a used one this problem would be solved, what a cheap fuck owner!

part d only applies to vessels that are otherwise required to be fitted with a radar, IIRC.

[B](a)[/B] A vessel must be fitted with a Federal Communications Commission (FCC) type accepted general marine radar system for surface navigation with a radar screen mounted at the primary operating station if:[B](1)[/B] The vessel is self-propelled;

B[/B] The vessel has an oceans, coastwise, limited coastwise, or Great Lakes route; and
B[/B] The vessel carries more than 49 passengers.
B[/B] A ferry that carries more than 49 passengers on a rivers route not within one mile of land must be fitted with a FCC Type Accepted general marine radar system for surface navigation with a radar screen mounted at the primary operating station.
B[/B] The radar and its installation must be suitable for the intended speed and route of the vessel.
B[/B] A vessel operated on a short restricted route need not be fitted with a radar if the cognizant OCMI determines that a radar is not necessary due to the vessel’s route and local weather conditions[FONT=Roboto]

[/FONT]

I fully agree sad story is there is so little work here in such a large marine area. If your not a cal maratime brat then your out . I am from this area and there has been no water work for 3 yrs here so options are limted.And my union has no water work any more. NOT crying in my milk but its a dry hole here. And tugs you need a 1600 I have a 500 very frustrating . And NO I will take a chance with my ticket.