Whats the big deal with MEBA?

Ok, I know what MEBA is, and that they really support the Jones Act, and U.S. mariners interests, but it costs 4k to join, takes a couple years, even if you already have unlimited licensing, whats the upside? Is the pay astronomical? Is the pension plan just great or what? Anybody?

Yes.

The best part is MEBA is a union, unlike that employment agency in Florida.

I personally have not sailed with the MEBA, however I do have many friends and colleagues who have and still do. The last information I got was that wages are less than those paid in the oil field and billets are few; especially with a lot of union elders holding A books with an Unlimited Chief license who are sailing 3rd. That aside, if you put in twenty years and sail at least three as a Chief, the pension is over $1M. This figure came from those I know in the union as well as the Union president, who pitched the union to a group of us back in 2007.

I always thought it stood for Motherfucking Egotistical Backstabbing Assholes. At least that’s what one chief I sailed with years ago told me it meant and he was member in good standing. Around the time you retire the pension plan will have coincidentally lost most of its value in a recent stock market meltdown. In reality it will have been embezzled by the board.

[QUOTE=Steamer;85327]Yes.

The best part is MEBA is a union, unlike that employment agency in Florida.[/QUOTE]

Indeed !!!

Back in the late 70’s and early 80’s non union companies were dropping like flies. I know, I worked for two. When one company dropped its flag I got picked-up by another only to see it fall in two years. Now, you may not like what I’m going to say. Opinions are like ass holes, we all have them. If you really want to get some answers I suggest your haul your sweet ass to the nearest MEBA Hall and make inquires. I did just that, I liked what I saw and heard, I joined, the best dam thing I ever did in my working life time, That is all I’ll post on this thread.

I’m not sure the guys I work with share those sentiments. They just took an 11.7% paycut so that money could be put towards the pension planned which just changed, the work rules changed so that there’s no more overtime only a daily stipend, and the duty rate went from over $200/day to like $68. And it’s not your high 3 anymore it’s your high 10. They’re not very happy and most of them are leaving to find somewhere else to work.

[QUOTE=New3M;85425]I’m not sure the guys I work with share those sentiments. They just took an 11.7% paycut so that money could be put towards the pension planned which just changed, the work rules changed so that there’s no more overtime only a daily stipend, and the duty rate went from over $200/day to like $68. And it’s not your high 3 anymore it’s your high 10. They’re not very happy and most of them are leaving to find somewhere else to work.[/QUOTE]

I’m seeing a MEBA box boat later today. I’ll ask them about that. I know about the pension stuff but I wasn’t aware of the overtime issue. Interesting.

The 11.7 was voted on by the membership to save our pension. The rules changed…your first 20 years is 2%, every year after is 2.66%. Some of the contracts have changed as far as when you get overtime. Still a great union to work for.

I don’t know about the box boats. Maybe it’s just a tanker thing or it might just be the contract with my company.

[QUOTE=New3M;85455]I don’t know about the box boats. Maybe it’s just a tanker thing or it might just be the contract with my company.[/QUOTE]

It’s probably the company and the contract. I deal with Maersk much of the time, also MSC contract operated RO/ROs. They get OT.

Now some of the MARAD contract operated ships are very strict on OT, due to budget and operating status, but again, they still get it. I signed a nice pile of overtime letters during my brief stint as a port engineer. :slight_smile:

That’s why my ears perked up when you mentioned that OT was a thing of the past.

Let me clarify - they’re still getting OT, but it’s in a daily stipend form now. So if you work 12 or 20, it’s the same amount. Most of the guys aren’t too thrilled with it.

That stipend is normally for the Cheifs and Captains. Everyone else is getting normal OT. I heard alot of companies are wanting you to give them 8 hours first before getting OT.

Just gave my buddy a ride off a MEBA OSG ship. He said they are operating under a memorandum of understanding. Basically the company has co-opted the new STCW 2010 rules to basically establish a 12 hour salaried work day not including meals. On paper this matches what they were already doing on the unmanned engine rooms. However it gets dicey on the gulf tankers do to the short transit time, and all the maneuvering which ends up being about 20% of their total time. Anyways it sounds like they are still trying to figure it out and I predict that it will degenerate into the AMO day rate, but that’s just my connector bases on second hand knowledge. With that said they are looking for engineers for those interested

Errrrr I meant that’s my conjecture based on second hand knowledge. Stoopid smart phone strikes again

Not where I’m at. All engineers are on stipend.

New3m…what ship is that?

One of the OSG tankers.