Have 1st ticket will travel

My buddy is stuck on an OSG tanker right meow, and his relief moved on to greener pastures. So if you have a 1st AE motor unlimited and want to score a temp gig then roll out to your neighborhood MEBA hall, and go relieve him.

I always thought MEBA was the best union’s for deep sea, never sailed with them personally, but I always heard good things about them. However there must be something up because I have been getting ex-MEBA guys coming to the drilling side almost every other trip. Every ex- MEBA guy I have had show up tells me a different story on why they left.

On the Cascade is he? Seems like they’re a bit bitter over there…

Their Pension Plan took some big hits lately.

Thats all you hear the guys talking about these days, a lot if people pissed off.

[QUOTE=0rion;121902]Their Pension Plan took some big hits lately.

Thats all you hear the guys talking about these days, a lot if people pissed off.[/QUOTE]

I would guess pension plan AND the bigger bucks being offered in the Gulf. . .

Yup it could’ve been the Cascade… or it could have been the Nikiski (sp?) Before that which had a 1st job on the open board for 2 weeks. … or the Texas City or Boston which both have open board 1st jobs right now. …

OSG better get their head out of their ass if they want to be able to man their ships. They want (and now have) a GOM setup (12 hr days/no overtime) but aren’t matching GOM wages… now they are seeing the results.

[QUOTE=0rion;121902]Their Pension Plan took some big hits lately.

Thats all you hear the guys talking about these days, a lot if people pissed off.[/QUOTE]

Yes that and several have said they took a 12% across the board pay CUT. Not sure if that was the entire MEBA or just one area, that would piss me off to.

[QUOTE=“0rion;121902”]

Their Pension Plan took some big hits lately.

It took a double hit. … the benefits were lowered AND they’re now (since Jan. of 2012) taking 11.7% of our or wages to find the shortfall. All of which was changed without a membership vote. At that point, what’s the purpose of even having a union?

The only reason I haven’t jumped is I live overseas and it’s hard to “commute” from 12 time zones away on a 28/14 schedule. Anybody know any GOM companies that run a 45/45, 60/60, 60/30, or similar schedule?

[QUOTE=“ChiefRob;121929”]

Yes that and several have said they took a 12% across the board pay CUT. Not sure if that was the entire MEBA or just one area, that would piss me off to.[/QUOTE]

That’s across the board. .ALL MEBA contacts, ALL pays… or as they put it, all W2 wages. … of course that is addition to the 6% that was already being taken out of our vacation checks to fund the unions “costs”

I ran into the local MEBA rep last year…he urged me to get my license as soon as I could…I asked why…he said, “we need engineers”

Now I know why.

I am working on advancement, but not looking forward to this…

Not sure what’s worse, being a fed mariner out on furlough or having my pay buzzsawed by the unions. At least the SIU only gets 500 bucks a year.

[QUOTE=catherder;121934]I ran into the local MEBA rep last year…he urged me to get my license as soon as I could…I asked why…he said, “we need engineers”

Now I know why.

I am working on advancement, but not looking forward to this…

Not sure what’s worse, being a fed mariner out on furlough or having my pay buzzsawed by the unions. At least the SIU only gets 500 bucks a year.[/QUOTE]

Not sure about MEBA, but the SIU doesn’t just get 500 bucks a year. They also take out working dues, I forget the exact formula but it’s a rate for each day worked onboard. They take it right out of the vacation checks. Also they take out their SPAD (their political action fund) automatically unless you specifically tell them not to. So the SIU definitely gets their money.

All of the above is correct. I believe working dues was around 4.5%. With regards to SPAD they will definitely take it out unless you tell them not to. Then you have to deal with them trying to strong arm you into paying it every time you claim vacation.

[QUOTE=“Hawespiper;121931”]The only reason I haven’t jumped is I live overseas and it’s hard to “commute” from 12 time zones away on a 28/14 schedule. Anybody know any GOM companies that run a 45/45, 60/60, 60/30, or similar schedule?[/QUOTE]

The boats run by GOM companies that operate overseas are usually 60/30 and you get paid your day rate while traveling. Chouest has operations in Brazil, Africa, the South Pacific, and the North Sea.

[QUOTE=dredgeboater;121953]All of the above is correct. I believe working dues was around 4.5%. With regards to SPAD they will definitely take it out unless you tell them not to. Then you have to deal with them trying to strong arm you into paying it every time you claim vacation.[/QUOTE]
I’ve heard stories of guys being leaned on for SPAD and working dues but never have experienced it. I never had any problem walking in the hall and picking up my vacation check. Later Inland contracts, we had our vacation pay rolled into our base pay. I guess the only time I was “leaned” on was when I drew my first pension check. We had to take one of the 3 different options. Option 1 was drawing 100% and when you croaked, your spouse was cut off. Option 2 was to take a reduced pension and your spouse would draw 50% when you croaked. Option 3 was draw 75% and your spouse would continue to draw 75% when you crossed the bar. There was a card in the first check packet asking for a SPAD contribution check-off for $2, $4 or $6.

[QUOTE=awulfclark;121952]Not sure about MEBA, but the SIU doesn’t just get 500 bucks a year. They also take out working dues, I forget the exact formula but it’s a rate for each day worked onboard. They take it right out of the vacation checks. Also they take out their SPAD (their political action fund) automatically unless you specifically tell them not to. So the SIU definitely gets their money.[/QUOTE]

I don’t get a vacation check, I am a fed mariner, that’s a different animal.

Agreed on SPAD. Shit, they handed me a SPAD t-shirt. Will make a great rag.

I was talking to the fed liason and I am getting the notion that while my dues are appreciated, my presence is not. I’m no fool; I know I only rate a C book.

I would come down and try my lot with the Cajun Navy, but I can’t do a rotation, even as an augmenter.

I’ll figure something out. If the shutdown goes past my present orders, I’ll cart my big ass down to the hall, and sit, and see how it all goes.

And the beat goes on, guys.

Funny how that works. I remember sitting in the hall back in 2009 and all the old dudes with chief licenses had hoarded all the 3rd and 2nd jobs. Meanwhile the chief of the Sulphur Enterprise wanted to sign me on, but couldn’t cuz the job had to be bid out. Alas I had zero seniority so I was ass-out. Conversely almost none of the GOM companies even acknowledged my emails/applications at that time so it’s not just a knock on MEBA.

Anyways, you would think that some of these outfits would learn, and maybe focus on getting the right people and trying to build loyalty during downtimes… you know, when it actually really counts to people and they remember it.

Not all. Some MEBA contract still have employer contributions. And not all officials are paying the 11.7. Their cut is lower somewhere in the 8 or 9% instead of 11.7

[QUOTE=“brjones;122006”]
Not all. Some MEBA contract still have employer contributions. And not all officials are paying the 11.7. Their cut is lower somewhere in the 8 or 9% instead of 11.7[/QUOTE]

Really? Which contracts require employer contribution? And if you’re only talking 1 percent of the contracts, is it really worth mentioning here?

The bottom line is that MEBA is no longer competitive. But the problem is that AMO is right there to accelerate the race to the bottom.

Just FYI, the Cascade 1AE job was filled by an AMO member even though it was on the board for just over 1 week. We are now allowing our jobs to be filled however the company sees fit… The downward spiral is well on its way. The OSG union relations guy (Norm Glasgo) is a former amo member… OSG already has AMO contracts… Am I the only one who sees where this is going?