What's That Company?

Hey folks, so a friend of mine was telling me about this company down in the gulf that does dredging operations I believe. The conversation was short because I was in a hurry so I couldn’t get details. He said the name of the company was either Suess or Shwess. Well that’s how it sounded, not sure how it’s spelt though. I thought maybe someone on here had an idea. I believe they also do work up in Alaska. Thanks in advance if somebody figures it out.

Edison chouest… Otherwise known as ECO

There it is. Thanks bud.

If anybody can fill me in that has had any experience with ECO, it would be much appreciated. I’m looking to get hired on either as an AB or QMED. Thanks guys

[QUOTE=salty-dog;76861]There it is. Thanks bud.[/QUOTE]

they don’t dredge tho

[QUOTE=salty-dog;76863]If anybody can fill me in that has had any experience with ECO, it would be much appreciated. I’m looking to get hired on either as an AB or QMED. Thanks guys[/QUOTE]
[B]
OH FOR CHRIST’S SAKE! They are the single most talked about company in this forum!

READ FIRST THEN ASK QUESTIONS…EFF THIS IS GETTING OLD![/B]

So you have a QMED and AB endorsement? Sorry, trying to find why someone would take both tests instead of going to mate or AE.

I went to school for both, just blew off the QMED test after working in the engine rooms of a few small utility boats in the GOM back in the early 80s. Should have kept it, then I would be a duelly now. Many more opportunities for engineers than masters…

I attended a maritime program up in Astoria, OR that took approximately 22 months. Came out with an AB ticket, QMED, and STCW.

Salty-dog
I’m going to give you a little advice being Im also a tounge pointer, first off do not tell any one where you went to school there’s been so many screw ups come out of that school it gives you an instant label with a lot of company’s on the west coast. And take any job you can get because you need the experience. Whatever you think you know about the industry you don’t! All that school is a free ride to an ab and qmed,
Good luck there’s a lot of jobs out there I’d ride that qmed the demand for engineers it way higher than deck

[QUOTE=TALLchief!;77096]Salty-dog
And take any job you can get because you need the experience.
Whatever you think you know about the industry you don’t!
I’d ride that qmed the demand for engineers it way higher than deck[/QUOTE]

What He said. Ditto

So you attended a school for 2 years to be an AB? That’s awesome cause it only takes 120 days to earn it while actually working.

Actually i belive u need 360 Days to Get the lowest ab rating. The school takes 18 months and if you could get an ab limited and a qmed in 18 months more power to ya. It’s eaiser to get a job with ab qmed than just an os.

From OS to AB/QMED is 120/12hour or 180/8hour

Believe me I know, why do you think I didn’t put it out there like that. While I was there, I had friends drop like flys. Getting kicked out left and right. But I made it, and I’m proud of that. I had to work for those qualifications buddy and it wasn’t easy. I know I’m still young and have only been in the industry for four years but I’ve learned a lot and it’s safe to say that I do know how everything works. I’m just trying to make a living here like everyone else.

So you got out of that hell hole 4 years ago it’s been a little over five for me. Yea it is something to be proud of I wasn’t proud of passing I was proud I didn’t knock someone’s teeth in

Salty-dog. I think you are looking for Sause Bros (Sause.com) it doesn’t sound anything like Chouest
Good luck.

Yes. Sauce Bros. in Coos Bay would be a good fit for an AB/QMED fresh out of school. They will certainly be very familiar with your school which may help you or hurt you depending upon what their experience has been with its graduates. Since Sauce Bros. is the one of the largest west coast tug companies, and their tugs pass by your school everyday, hopefully you already know about them.

Yeah I know about Sauce Bros. I’m currently trying to pick up a dispatch with them through the IBU. Solid company, along with Manson Construction.

He didn’t say what ab he had but I doubt any school would get you less than AB-Special, which takes 360 days of sea time. You quoted the time required for AB-OSV…