What is your opinion of SIU Seamanship School?

They hire em fresh out of high school and jail down in the bayou. Not a lick of unions there(unless you count Crowley) either. Green hands are a plenty and the majority don’t last. So with such high turnover a hard worker will move right to the top. Mostly what I speak of are vessels under 100GRT but hey, like you said, everyone has to start somewhere. I sure didn’t need a union school to further myself.

[QUOTE=Goirish44;117970]If it was that easy to just go out and get a job in our industry people wouldn’t have to use things like the SIU school. What you are saying is a lot easier said than done. SIU school is the quickest and easiest way to start in the marine industry if you ask me. I mean come on really who’s going to hire someone with a document with no experience or anything. The answer is no one.[/QUOTE]

To my ear this topic is about one persons desire to have the ‘answers’ handed to them, the knowledge of years of hiring experience given to them, and all worries allayed and fears calmed. Sometimes it takes actually GOING out into the job and seeing if you like it (or not). Sure, the better companies want more training (even for an entry position) but there are some who hire you when you step into the door, ring the phone, whatever (the right place at the right time) It happens. Read the threads on the ‘employment thread’. I never had to go to The SIU school. I never needed it. My companies have always sent me for, reimbursed me for, or I have done it on my own as far as licensing and upgrading goes. Others need the structure, or haven’t been as lucky as I have been. Sometimes you just have to GO out and get a job. Wherever. Just try it out. I know if I had invested a year of time, and spent many hundred of dollars in training (for an entry level position) and found out I didn’t like the industry I would be pissed. Some people DON’T like being away from home for extended periods. Some don’t like the cramped quarters. Some don’t like to be told what to do. Try it before you buy it.

Sorry sorry my bad, I do understand where you’re coming from I’m just saying it’s a good spot to start. I have been looking at north east towing company myself and once I get my AB I plan to apply. This deep sea shit is for the birds.

[QUOTE=“Goirish44;117970”]

If it was that easy to just go out and get a job in our industry people wouldn’t have to use things like the SIU school. What you are saying is a lot easier said than done. SIU school is the quickest and easiest way to start in the marine industry if you ask me. I mean come on really who’s going to hire someone with a document with no experience or anything. The answer is no one.[/QUOTE]

It happens every week in the bayou. Just because you couldn’t do it without the union school doesn’t make it the easiest or best way, it’s just a way.

I seen guys down there get hired as OS with nothing more than jeans and wrinkled tank tops on. Unreal!

[QUOTE=oregonblitzkrieg;117955]Indeed, some on this forum offer kool-aid too. I’m not paranoid or afraid to attend classes in a boot camp setting if I set my mind to it. I’m just curious about how they make their pay. Nothing is free. It either has to be from government funding, close ties with companies that hire recent graduates, or in the reduced wages that attendees earn during part of their training. I’ve got no problem with any of this, just curious, that’s all.[/QUOTE]

It’s a UNION. SIU is no different than other unions that offer training. Unions collect dues to fund their activities and benefits for workers. The reason some workers don’t like being in a union is because of the high dues that come out of every paycheck.

Not all are the same. Some unions training plan is funded by investments and employer contributions. Nothing is deducted out of my paycheck. My $400 a year could not keep the doors open on our training facility

Went to HLSS 45 years ago - took advantage of every class SIU had to offer - It is different now and I find that most of the kids coming thru the program now are just not with it - I prefer the people with military experience and the 4 year schools - I have been sailing C/E for 25+ years.

During the first Gulf War MSC was so short handed they were recruiting homeless people off the streets of Oakland. Seriously. They brought them to CMA for a quickie seamanship class and off they went to see the world. Those were some scary…and smelly…guys!

[QUOTE=captobie;118054]During the first Gulf War MSC was so short handed they were recruiting homeless people off the streets of Oakland. Seriously. They brought them to CMA for a quickie seamanship class and off they went to see the world. Those were some scary…and smelly…guys![/QUOTE]

Why Oakland?

[QUOTE=justaboatdriver;117975]They hire em fresh out of high school and jail down in the bayou. Not a lick of unions there(unless you count Crowley) either. Green hands are a plenty and the majority don’t last. So with such high turnover a hard worker will move right to the top. Mostly what I speak of are vessels under 100GRT but hey, like you said, everyone has to start somewhere. I sure didn’t need a union school to further myself.[/QUOTE]

Fresh out of jail? Sounds like they aren’t too discerning about who they hire.

[QUOTE=oregonblitzkrieg;118085]Fresh out of jail? Sounds like they aren’t too discerning about who they hire.[/QUOTE]

When you need people, you need people now.

[QUOTE=justaboatdriver;118086]When you need people, you need people now.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but you don’t need people who’ll steal things from the boat when you’re not looking or who’ll murder you in your sleep.

[QUOTE=oregonblitzkrieg;118085]Fresh out of jail? Sounds like they aren’t too discerning about who they hire.[/QUOTE]

MSC did this (I think they called it the “nugget” program) just before OPA 90 when the regs on crtiminal convictions for mariner applicants came about. It’s unlikely today that sopmeone right out of prison for a serious offense will immediatley get an MMC.

I think the most rugged crew I sailed with was an MSC crew in the mid 80’s. They were mostly fine unless they were returning from a night ashore drinking, then it was Katy bar the door.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;118100]MSC did this (I think they called it the “nugget” program) just before OPA 90 when the regs on crtiminal convictions for mariner applicants came about. It’s unlikely today that sopmeone right out of prison for a serious offense will immediatley get an MMC.[/QUOTE]

I remember working with a wiper back in the 80s that came out of Piney Point. I asked him what got him, a fairly young man (as was I, of course) interested in a life at sea. He told me that his judged had said it was either Piney Point or jail. Oh. . . .

A lot of the contract riggers are convicts. One guy when his hitch was over went back to Jail until his next hitch and then came back. Only guy I knew that hated crew change lol

The best bunch of convicts go well away from anything to do with the CG. Alaska has it’s share of rough characters, both deckhands and captains. Most flying well below the CG radar. It is on tv, in the news, hell there were no less than 6 groundings/sinkings in southeast this summer alone. As long as they have nothing to loose, they will keep hard charging. It is only time before the CG steps in and eliminates the “unlicensed” sailors, I wonder how the insurance companies let it go too.