What is stopping you? Metric, again

When the throttle in my FBO rental came lose in my hand on the approach to a remote field, I used a piece of wire to reattach it so I could get home. When our AP found out, he completely lost it. You’d think I had threatened to put all AP’s out of business.

I got caught headed for a plane with a multimeter in my hand and barely escaped with my life from one of our territorial A&Ps. In his mind I was about 3 steps below a serial killer and probably had the Lindberg baby stuffed in my flight bag.
Over in airline land you REALLY don’t want to make enemies out of their union, they had pretty direct ways of dealing with anything that looked like a threat to their areas of work.

I don’t know what kind of outfit you were working for but “A&P unions” had zero to do with what a pilot is allowed to do. If we had a problem with anything that required more than could be corrected by adherence to the aircraft flight manual or company procedures manual. There are no turf battles at a 121 carrier, all it takes is a call to flight ops and maintenance control to discuss the problem and find a solution. Checking fuel levels is well within the pilot’s domain and responsibility, if there was a mechanical problem that required tools and a log entry flight ops and maintenance control would arrange for whatever was required and it certainly never involved union sensitivities. If AOG, company mechanics would fly in or a local approved repair station would deal with the problem and record keeping and we would carry on when finished or ferry the airplane back to our own maintenance facility if it was legal, airworthy, and accepted by the captain. Unions were the last thing we ever even thought about much less worried about offending.

As far as farmer style bailing wire fixes are concerned, yeah that very well could put the company out of business if it resulted in a crash that killed someone in the aircraft or on the ground.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing but since you weren’t there, your opinion carries as much weight as a fart in a hurricane. There was no company involved, no passengers and no AP’s within 75 miles. My chances for rescue on that Christmas day on a remote desert strip were nil. The broken link in the linkage was a simple fix that saved me from being stranded.

You are confusing FARs with union work agreements. Some mechanic’s locals expanded out past things only they could do to things like plugging in the generator cart or towing the airplanes, some did not. Some rampers were in a union of their own, none of them were happy at all if anyone else did “their job”.

Just stating facts, you don’t have to like it.

Facts unrelated to the experience I related and to which you responded:

apple

“Anglophone” perhaps would be better ie English speaking.

Aussies don’t have an Anglophile love of England and everything English. We speak English but beat the crap out of the Poms at cricket.

2 Likes

OK, here’s a reason the space shuttle booster dimensions are related to the width of a horse’s arse (or ass if you’re American).

So that’s both pre imperial and pre metric. But it still works as a practical measure.

1 Like

Anglophone or Anglophile, Singaporeans and Aussies are (mostly) both these days.
I though “Pom” (Prisoners of her Majesty) was an honorary title in Oz.

PS> In cricket the term “pommy bastards” has mistakenly been used as a term of endearment for the English team. (I could be wrong of cause)

“Pom” isn’t honorary. It’s just a well-understood nickname. Similarly for “pommy bastard” it depends on the context. It can be a term of endearment or of disgust but there’s no endearment when we play the Poms. It’s deadly serious.

2 Likes

That’s so funny!

Hopefully, this will put the metric versus SAE to bed once and for all. Read, I hope you laugh, and enjoy. 10 Real-Life Examples Of Why American Measurements Are Better Than The Communist Metric System | Babylon Bee

3 Likes

And then there’s the old “Ton” level rating system under the Intl. Offshore Rule (IOR), although admittedly obsolete now, that rated racing sailboats as “quarter ton, half-ton, one ton”, etc… That system got its name from a defunct trophy for a defunct class of boats and a “One Tonner” was typically around 40’ LOA but rated around or just under 30’!! And in those days a 40’ racing yacht might have weighed at least 8-10 metric tons!! And the rating, which produced a “rated length” had nothing to do with weight/displacement but rather length, beam, girth, stability on inclination, etc. Go figure! Racing sailboat rules are like F1 auto racing rules: they change periodically in bizarre ways to try to avoid entrenched repeat winners, but they make very little sense in terms of actual measurements.

1 Like

And there are “box rules” where the boat has to fit into a theoretical box of a certain size. Ships also have box rules, the locks in the Panama Canal are a literal box that a ship has to fit in.

1 Like

A pint is an EU legal measurement 568ml, UK got that through years ago
But probably only used in Britian

Since UK is no longer an EU-member and have “taken back control” it doesn’t matter what EU rules say about the pint, or how you order your beer while in UK.

In the rest of Europe, if you order “a pint” they would just assume you are an “ignorant tourist” and give you a “half-litre”:

In Norway it used to be common to order “a glass” (330 ml) or a “half-litter” (500 ml) of beer.
Nowadays it has become more common to be asked; “0.4 or 0.6”? when you order a draft beer.
(No, I don’t think it has anything to do with 0.6 ltr. (600 ml) is closer to an Imperial pint (568 ml))

PS> Some pubs still use “half-liter” for some types of beer, but I’m not sure of the criteria behind.

How about car rim sizes, a bit like spark plugs, they are half and half

Buckees!!!

Metric? Still trying to figure out if the earth is flat, round, oval, or obtuse.

1 Like