What doors should I be knocking on?

Hey guy’s,

I used post on about 3-4 years ago, but forgot the password and for some reason couldn’t reset it. And been away for so long I just read post when I had a little free time.  I am in need of some advice and direction in looking for a new job, so decided to make a new user name, and hopefully contribute again ( when I am not at sea for 10 months at a time).

For the past 4 years I have sailed MSC (Sealift Command)  I know but before you judge me let me explain.... I do not like the label of an MSC mariner, unlike “a handful” of  MSC mariners, I consider myself to have a very good work ethic, good attitude, work well with others, honest, reliable Etc. 

Before MSC, I started my career on the water I had 2 temp jobs for 6 months each doing inshore 100ton work, and some AB marine construction work. My experience is limited, I am not a 30year experienced “old salt” but I think I am far from a Green Horn OS, I am an AB with a decent amount of experienced. That being said, having some experience I think with some patients, hard work and knocking on doors I can land a decent job, but might be tough going against some very experienced AB’s with a good resume under there belt.  

Honestly I am not that picky what area of the industry I work on, coastal tug, OSV’s, Drill ships, 100ton, Oil rigs, Crew boats, Marine construction  etc. It might not sound the best, but for the most part I am looking for one of the higher paying jobs, by that I mean I don’t want to work on a small cruise ship or a ferry for $125 a day, I did that with MSC, I am looking for $275+ a day hopefully.

Like I mentioned earlier, I will take any better paying job of any sea going type as long as it does not require relocating, not looking for a job where I have to work in the area. That being said I am not married and do not have kids, and I am used to working anywhere in the world and doing looong stints at sea with MSC 12+months (my choice), so adjusting or adapting to a new job type is not an issue for me.

Also looking for job security though not guaranteed, That’s one of the nice perks of MSC.  5-6 years ago I wanted an east coast tug Bouchard, Reinauer stuff like that but it was really hard job market back then and heard tugs still get laid up all the time? 

To wrap it up, I am searching online for jobs ALL the time but it’s hard to figure out what they pay, I have yet to apply but just wanted peoples input to what would be my best areas and companies to put my resume in.[SUB] [SIZE=1]Just wanted some input on what jobs I had the best chance of landing[/SUB][/SIZE][SUB].[/SUB][SUB]

[/SUB]
[SUB][SIZE=2]Sorry for the very long post but I wanted to tell a little bit of my story, and not be the guy who [/SUB]does one [/SIZE]sentence post looking for help.

One last question…. Are Headhunters worth it? For AB’s do they have good access to good jobs or do they just offer lower paying entry level stuff like ferries and small cruise ship for AB’s?

Thankyou for any help or advice!

Call any of the NYC based tug companys, and if you have your ducks in a row you shouldnt have a problem finding a job. As far as lay offs that doesnt happen very often, Ive seen 1 round of lay offs in 10 years. Pay for northeast tug A.B is between 250-350 a day depending on the color of the boat. If your looking for long hitches go to Bouchard, most other places have steady crews and work 2-2 or 3-3.

I agree. Bouchard might be a really good idea for you to put a foot in the door. They pay better than most tug/barge companies. You may have an option of NE or GOM since Bouchard operates in both areas. All of the rumors you hear of them are generally true. However, since you are coming from MSC…this may be a welcome change. Don’t bother with Reinauer just yet. They are able to be very selective and most of their deckhands have a license and many of the tankerman do as well. I would get your unlimited 3rd ASAP. Good luck. Stay loose.

I think Bouchard is like 45$ a day for travel and some other company’s are more or less, and some pay for everything. So if I am from NH and I have to catch my boat in the gulf somewhere, I have to buy a 500+ ticket plus 35-50 for my bag and I am going to get 45bucks towards it? That is like 2 days pay just to get there!!!

I have always looked at Weeks marine and Donjon, I have read about Donjon but not to many post about Weeks Marine, Anyone know what they are like? Obviously they have a lot of different type of equipment to work on, but as far as pay and how they are as a company?

Anyone have and thought about my chances with a drill ship or a supply vessel? I don’t know much about them or how hard it is to get with them? Only thing I know is a little about is tugs in the northeast. and MSC (terrible) .

On a lot of the tugs I guess the crews take turns cooking? I am a VERY good cook, did it in restaurants for 8+ years when I was younger, obviously it wont help you to get hired, the office could care less, but do the Captain, Mates and Crew appreciate a good cook on board? Or are a lot of guys really good at it, especially the ones that have been on tugs most of there lives?