Weight and Mass

???

??? re: Indicated Horse Power,(IHP) or the joke?

What do the stove and fridge have to do with propulsion horsepower? Particularly IHP, bollard pull or anything else.

Nothing, that is why it was a joke bandied around about the Bayou companies inflation of the capabilities of their boats.
PS> Presumably a word play on; "everything but. the kitchen sink)

Lame. you can do better than that Bug.

Technically the slug is the imperial system unit of mass and pounds are force. One slug equals a mass that weighs 32.174 pounds in standard gravity.

The SI system made up something similar they call the “kgf” so people can improperly use kg as weight instead of newtons.

Yep, the ol’ slug, but not that useful to be honest except for students with instructors just trying to get them good at conversions. Same with the kilopond, never used it. 99.9% of static and dynamics will use N just because it keeps force in one bucket. Starting to remember how much I don’t miss Hibbeler.

In science and engineering newtons are far more common as there no ambiguity wrt their value but it’s more or less standard practice for bollard pull, mooring line ratings, anchor windlass rating, wind force, etc., all often given in tons-force.

F = mg, with g treated as a constant may not be acceptable in science and engineering but it’s in wide practice elsewhere.

As far as I’m concerned the ‘force’ is redundant because tons is a unit of weight/force. It has been weight/force since the beginning of it’s use and it would be weird if the metric system decided they’re going make their tons mass instead. (One metric ton is the weight of 1,000 kg in standard gravity.)

yes but also used for sacks on board as we had lot of stuff ( I think it was salt and other stuff?) in sacks on deck.
Conscientious ballast operators would check doing a deck walk and some of the others never did.

Grams are a unit of mass. The “g” in F = mg is F = ma with a = g = standard gravity.

This is what happens when people try to convert unfamiliar metrics.

1 Like

To store salt etc. on deck is not wise, especially in S.E.Asian waters, where it rains just about every afternoon. Things that is actually in sacks goes in the Sack Store, usually on pallets.

It make sense to count Sacks and multiply by weight per sack to add into the trim and stability program, together with the position relative to the baseline for vertical moment.
Longitudinal and transvers moments are calculated from the bow and centre line respectively.

Whether to use metres and m.t.to get T/mtr., or Kips and feet to get Ft/Kips depends on the unit used by the calculation form, or program.

In any case it leave open a lot of opportunities for mistakes and confusion, unless one system of measurement is used consistently, of course.

I didn’t make it up, it was a common joke to hear, until the Bayou companies gave up trying to convince the world that their boats were big and powerful.
Or are they still using IHP in the GoM?

Probably not since the demise of reciprocating steam power.

What is IHP in diesel engine?
‘Indicated Horse power’ is the actual power developed by the engine whereas Brake Horse Power is the available power which is almost about 70 to 85 % of the actual power developed inside the engine.

I.H.P = ((PLAN x n) / 2) ÷ 4500

(where, P = Mean effective pressure in kg/cm², L = Length of stroke, A = Area of piston in cm², N = RPM of crankshaft, n = Number of cylinders)

Metric system uses kilowatt (kW) unit of measurement while in the case of the imperial/British system, it is ‘ feet-pound-force-per-second ‘ (fps).

Source:

Nominally

Someone someday will insist on an international norm for energy. A few years ago I needed an air conditioning unit installed in SE Asia. They quoted in hp, not BTU or Kcal. Insane.

Yeah, whoops.

Correct.

I fail to see the point of your comment.