Weeks Marine - Towing Jobs - what's company like?

In general, there is a tremendous oversupply of credentialed mariners.

In some segments of the industry there is a glut of mariners that have the required credentials, but a shortage of mariners that have the actual knowledge and skills to do the job well.

In some segments of the industry there is a shortage of mariners that even have the right credentials.

For example: Although few, if any, credentials are required, there is a shortage of good tugboat deckhands, deckhand/engineers, and unlicensed engineers. Particularly, there is a shortage of young guys who intend to make career of it.

Another example: There are plenty of guys who hold Master of Towing endorsements, but I’d be surprised if even half of them have any real towing experience and ability. As the tugboat business recovers and us old guys retire, there are not enough young replacements with actual towing experience and ability.

There is also a lot of variation from one locality to the next.

The biggest factor is that most maritime jobs today simply do not pay enough to be competitive with other job opportunities and less demanding lifestyles. There is a pressing need for significant pay increases to attract young people into the industry, and to retain mid-career guys with good skills.

Nobody gives a damn one way or the other about us old guys on the cusp of retirement.

1 Like

I got clarification. 15.15 if the starting pay. 6 months later you get 17.10 or so after your trial period is up. As for the noise. I am use to it now and sleep like a baby but thats just me.

Isn’t Weeks Marine unionized with Local 25 Equipment Operators? Or is that just the crane operstors?

Some smart guys I work with, former Chouest guys, say the exact same thing. I’ll take their word for it. GOM will never be what it was.

This is very true. There is already a shortage of Mariners on the inland side. Most of these older captains should have retired already, but well, Mariners and saving money don’t mix too well. But I would agree 100%, when they do retire, there will be a huge void of qualified Mariners and experience. The next set of Mariners has to step up. Which is why I would recommend any younger guys or gals to look inland. Captains are making 120k-150k depending on schedule. That’s solid pay.

This possible Inland Mariner shortage is another case where: most other mariners do not have the right credentials, ie., a Western Rivers endorsement; or the required local knowledge, experience, and skills to do the job.