Good bad and ugly of Weeks Marine

Just want to know anything anyone knows about how weeks marine is for an employer. Wage/benefits etc. Thanks in advance.

That would most likely vary widely depending on which division you are considering employment with (hopper/bucket/cutterhead etc).

A friend of mine worked there on the tugs. Money sounded competitive. Travel was paid. He signed on to work 28/14 and ended up working more like 42/5, which is why he ended up seeking greener pastures.

[QUOTE=Ctony;148427]A friend of mine worked there on the tugs. Money sounded competitive. Travel was paid. He signed on to work 28/14 and ended up working more like 42/5, which is why he ended up seeking greener pastures.[/QUOTE]

They always seem to be looking. Are they union? Local 25?

Recall reading they were they original group to go into the MMP Atlantic division which is what 333 will become.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;148430]They always seem to be looking. Are they union? Local 25?[/QUOTE]
When I was in ny/nj about 12 yrs ago they were local 25 I remember. My friend worked for them east and gulf coast earlier this year…no union affiliation…on the tugs at least. Might always be looking because they lack having set schedules/rotations maybe.

What are peoples thoughts on Local 25?

It’s a fucking joke. I know somewhere there who is working roughly 6/2 right now because they can’t keep a relief crew. He told the union rep “if this is how it’s gonna be, I want more money for working over. That or tell the company to stop running people off.” The union rep goes “more money? Times are tough right now, you’re lucky to have a job!”

They can’t find people to relieve him yet he’s lucky to have a job. That’s some winning logic.

Why do people tolerate such nonsense?

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;148440]It’s a fucking joke. I know somewhere there who is working roughly 6/2 right now because they can’t keep a relief crew. He told the union rep “if this is how it’s gonna be, I want more money for working over. That or tell the company to stop running people off.” The union rep goes “more money? Times are tough right now, you’re lucky to have a job!”

They can’t find people to relieve him yet he’s lucky to have a job. That’s some winning logic.[/QUOTE]

That sounds about the same as my current non Union employer.

Just bought a house, I don’t think he will be there much longer.

Not sure really, just curious about what people know about it. Heard hoppers were equal time? Is there a big difference in pay between divisions? Do they have pretty good benefits overall?

Hoppers are 21/21. Benefits are pretty good. Don’t know about the difference in pay between divisions.

Tugs are local 25 and I think hoppers are SIU

Last i heard the tugs voted out local 25 and went non union

I don’t know about the tugs but the hoppers are definitely not SIU. They just voted in MMP inland from non union.

I don’t know the details but I do know that MMP signed a contract with Weeks. I’ll see what I can dig up.

I read that too, but after re-reading the release from MMP it seemed it was just the dredges. Now with 333 going that way it would only Make sense though.

I assume, but I hope I’m wrong, that MMP Inland and MMP Atlantic will operate as if they were two entirely separate unions. I suspect that a guy can only sign up for one division at a time, and cannot work jobs in the other division. That is total bullshit (which really weakens both divisions), but its what I suspect.

You can only be in one division of MMP. You can switch but then you have to pay the difference in initiation fee for that division if its more.
You can occasionally do a job in another division if there is no one within that division to cover it.