Watch change

Rotating watches is a nightmare to adjust to. I need some stability. Either I work nights or I work days. I don’t want to change constantly. As far as waking up my relief, I am not your mother and this is work. You wake your self up and show up on time.

[QUOTE=“justaboatdriver;122135”]Rotating watches is a nightmare to adjust to. I need some stability. Either I work nights or I work days. I don’t want to change constantly. As far as waking up my relief, I am not your mother and this is work. You wake your self up and show up on time.[/QUOTE]

On boats with people sleeping in tight quarters we woke people up for watch because no one wanted alarm clocks going off disturbing the ones who didn’t need to get up. Also, some boats don’t have AC power to run alarm clocks or charge cell phones so either you wake up your relief or you don’t get relieved.

Besides for that, if there is only enough crew for 2 watches you [B]are[/B] doing day and night. Without a 6 hour watch in there somewhere it is hard to get enough sleep.

My vessel works two watches. 0000-1200 and then 1200-2400. We work the same schedule everyday so it is stable.

I hadn’t thought of not having AC power for alarm clocks. I figure if you want to wake up bad enough for your shift without help, you can.

Never depend on a plug in alarm clock on board ship. Always use a battery power clock.

[QUOTE=“justaboatdriver;122135”]Rotating watches is a nightmare to adjust to. I need some stability. Either I work nights or I work days. I don’t want to change constantly. As far as waking up my relief, I am not your mother and this is work. You wake your self up and show up on time.[/QUOTE]

Well said justaboatdriver. Would one expect their employee at a shore based job to call them each morning!
Boss: "Hey hunny, could you wake up to be here on time?"
Some don’t understand that concept & start using the ‘it’s common courtesy’. BS on them, it’s common courtesy to relieve me, & I the other, on time. Especially when one is out on deck working & no one else is up on tug/ship.

There is a big difference between ships and boats at sea. On a tanker your relief might be sleeping in his own cabin a long way away from the bridge. On my boat my relief is sleeping about 20 feet from where I am standing and is also in the bunk I am about to use. Thus the common courtesies and routines of sailboats at sea seem to be a bit different from commercial shipping.

[QUOTE=Smooth Sailor;122174]Well said justaboatdriver. Would one expect their employee at a shore based job to call them each morning!
Boss: "Hey hunny, could you wake up to be here on time?"
Some don’t understand that concept & start using the ‘it’s common courtesy’. BS on them, it’s common courtesy to relieve me, & I the other, on time. Especially when one is out on deck working & no one else is up on tug/ship.[/QUOTE]

Long way away from the bridge? Obviously you have never been on a tanker. My commute to work is 30 seconds - if I take it slow.

Nothing annoys me more than when we have a pilot onboard going up the Houston Ship Channel and the AB on the wheel asks me to call their relief. GET A DAMN CLOCK.

[QUOTE=New3M;122186]Long way away from the bridge? Obviously you have never been on a tanker. My commute to work is 30 seconds - if I take it slow.

Nothing annoys me more than when we have a pilot onboard going up the Houston Ship Channel and the AB on the wheel asks me to call their relief. GET A DAMN CLOCK.[/QUOTE]

And you apparently haven’t been on an old two-house tanker where the unlicensed deck crew is in the aft hourse and the bridge in the midship house.

Those were the days! I was a cadet on the Mobil Fuel in the mid-70’s. The Meridian was bigger as I recall. Engineers were back aft as well but then again so were the mess rooms. Had some dramatic photos of water breaking around the cat walk between the houses on those winter runs to the northeast ports.

Just how many of those are left?

outside of a scrap yard in india or a beach in africa?

Hell, even the ones that were converted and the forward house moved on top of the aft are pretty much extinct by now, aren’t they?

[QUOTE=New3M;122205]Just how many of those are left?[/QUOTE]

OK. Maybe I should have just had Politenessman smack you with his stainless steel hanky and have you rephrase your comment to “Obviously you have never been on a tanker built after 1964.”

(If you’re too young to have been on a 2-house tanker, you probably have no clue WTF I’m referring to.)

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=KPChief;122204]Those were the days! I was a cadet on the Mobil Fuel in the mid-70’s. The Meridian was bigger as I recall. Engineers were back aft as well but then again so were the mess rooms. Had some dramatic photos of water breaking around the cat walk between the houses on those winter runs to the northeast ports.[/QUOTE]

The Meridian (later "Seminole) was a lot bigger. The Fuel/Aero/Mobiloil were all around 32K dwt, the Meridian was 50K. It was too big for coastal runs, and too small for Valdez, but it workled for Mobil as it it matched it could carry 10 days worth of prodicrion at the Ferndale refinery and it took 10 days round trip to Valdez.

I sailed on two different two house container ships.

Fair enough. My parents graduated from high school in 1964.

Farrell Lines or Lykes?

[QUOTE=“cmakin;122261”]I sailed on two different two house container ships.[/QUOTE]

Still a few of those around - Matson and Horizon Lines still running the Maui, Kauai, Consumer and Producer.

[QUOTE=fullbell;122312]Still a few of those around - Matson and Horizon Lines still running the Maui, Kauai, Consumer and Producer.[/QUOTE]

Did they ever get the Kauai running again? She got her wheelhouse windows knocked out in a winter storm right about the time the economy went to crap. She sat at various empty berths around Seattle for quite a while (at least six months but perhaps a year) before she disappeared. I’ve had some idle curiosity about whether she was sent to the breakers.

[QUOTE=“renoun;122314”]

Did they ever get the Kauai running again? She got her wheelhouse windows knocked out in a winter storm right about the time the economy went to crap. She sat at various empty berths around Seattle for quite a while (at least six months but perhaps a year) before she disappeared. I’ve had some idle curiosity about whether she was sent to the breakers.[/QUOTE]

She was on the WC to HNL run until about a month ago. I think she might be laid up in Oakland now.