6pm to 6am, whats its purpose

In the watch schedule world of 12 hours on and 12 hours on watch, what is the reasoning behind going and putting a crew member on 6pm to 6am?

So the chief engineer doesn’t have to stay up all night of course.

I see it mostly in shipyard. So the master and cheif are on the same hours as the shipyard crew making decisions and you have one or two guys on at night to do minor projects and a fire watch.

What kind answer is that? Please elaborate mr. Engineer. Why exactly the hours of 6-6?

Yes the old shipyard excuse seems to end the argument every time yet day after day vampires are being created.

I don’t see it as an excuse in shipyard, honestly it gets more accomplished. Outside of shipyard I don’t see much reason for it.

Im currently working 1800-0600. I like it. It’s cooler around the vessel, less people in your business, and slightly easier to get some things done. I work on a drill ship where things keep going 24/7.

Did 12-12 for a bit and hated it. Never really adjusted to it.

Why do you ask the question??

Please elaborate mr. Engineer. Why exactly the hours of 6-6?

That needs elaboration?

Most of the world’s business is conducted between the local hours of daylight and (probably) most boats working 12 hour shifts remain in (more or less) the same time zone, it only makes sense to have the management awake and conducting business during business hours.

If we get an extra guy in the wheelhouse we throw him on 6to6, so that we don’t have to shit and piss in a bucket while on DP for 12 hrs.

[QUOTE=OBXmariner;146118]In the watch schedule world of 12 hours on and 12 hours on watch, what is the reasoning behind going and putting a crew member on 6pm to 6am?[/QUOTE]

The 1800 to 0600 is needed so the asshole master that insists on working 0600 to 1800 can get some nice restful sleep at the expense of others.

Let me guess, you’re pissed because you got stuck on the 18 to 06, and it’s cutting into your woof skiff building time.

In the crewboat world, I see little reason for it if both captains on board are capable of handling everything going on. Personally, I don’t mind working nights for whoever my superior is, but I will not work 6 to 6 for him. Just because I’m on the boat doesn’t mean the real world stops, and there are times I need bussiness hours to take care of a few things. Again, in the crewboat, I see it nothing more than a lead captain flexing his muscles, stroking his ego, and suppressing his relief to the dark. Humans as a species need daylight, and I have definitely seen the difference in morale when allowed to enjoy the light. But, this is just my opinion, and as they say, opinions are like buttholes.

[QUOTE=Ea$y Money;146128]The 1800 to 0600 is needed so the asshole master that insists on working 0600 to 1800 can get some nice restful sleep at the expense of others.[/QUOTE]

My experience, precisely.

I prefer the 1800-0600 if I’m on nights. I always get drowsy around daybreak and it allows me to go straight to sleep. I think I get better sleep because of it. 2400-1200 I always seem to catch a second wind before I get off watch. And if your on days that schedule can’t be beat!

The real downside to it is on drill days unless you can get the whole boat on it.

I knew you’d chime in on that one txh2oman.

[QUOTE=txh2oman;146132]My experience, precisely.[/QUOTE]

The majors are starting to require this on the bridge for the DP watch. They are requiring an over lapping watch scheme on the ASOG. Not uncommon on the large subsea construction vessels at all.

LOL, You must work for Triton Diving, I only see it as the 1st captain wants to only work daylight schedule because they can not see or navigate at night. That and they are just rude and do not care about the person that is supposed to have his back.

12/12 sucks. I’m a 6/6 man.

Worst watch schedule I ever had was 2000-0800.

Doesn’t it make sense to stagger the watches with one guy on 12-12 the other 6-6? break up the monotony and have a better team dynamic and morale I say, as an observer. My deckhand and I enjoy working together (for 6 hours) but I cant imagine standing a wheel watch with the same mate 12 hours a day.