Wanting to upgrade license

I currently hold a MTV Inland with an unlimited radar certification. I am wanting to, at least for now, upgrade to a 200t near coastal mate, then master, and eventually down the road, a 1600t nc. I am currently employed as a master on a harbor tug and truly enjoy the people I work for. The problem is that we rarely go offshore. I can get the 200t mate nc with no offshore time but need 60 days to be able to upgrade to master. My question for now is does any one know of any company that would be willing to let me aquire the 60 days and do a TOAR? I know its a long shot, but I’m just wondering what my options are before I begin this process. I have 20 yrs experience, mostly on harbor tugs, with some barge, and some offshore. And also, what is your thoughts on the market for a 200t mate or master these days and is it even worth pursuing? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

[QUOTE=ccbado;150615]I currently hold a MTV Inland with an unlimited radar certification. I am wanting to, at least for now, upgrade to a 200t near coastal mate, then master, and eventually down the road, a 1600t nc. I am currently employed as a master on a harbor tug and truly enjoy the people I work for. The problem is that we rarely go offshore. I can get the 200t mate nc with no offshore time but need 60 days to be able to upgrade to master. My question for now is does any one know of any company that would be willing to let me aquire the 60 days and do a TOAR? I know its a long shot, but I’m just wondering what my options are before I begin this process. I have 20 yrs experience, mostly on harbor tugs, with some barge, and some offshore. And also, what is your thoughts on the market for a 200t mate or master these days and is it even worth pursuing? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Lots of opportunities for 200 ton masters or mates with a MOT…but bigger is better…some companies want the bigger ticket even though their vessels are under 200 GT.

[QUOTE=Ctony;150673]Lots of opportunities for 200 ton masters or mates with a MOT…but bigger is better…some companies want the bigger ticket even though their vessels are under 200 GT.[/QUOTE]
That’s good to hear. I intended to begin this process soon and just wanted to hear something encouraging. I see a lot of boats that are under 200gt but always figured companies were more comfortable with a bigger ticket. It is my intention to upgrade and this is just the first step for me. I’m thinking I’d like to get on an ATB if I could get my foot in the door.

That’s good news. I know it can be tough to start over in a completely different area of this industry, but I’m willing to give it a try. Just ready for a change of scenery. I’d sure like to get on an ATB if I could get my foot in the door somewhere.