This image of KPM’s Steamship “Reael” anchored upstream at some Indonesian archipelago location, amidst the choking heat, mosquitoes, and crocodiles, which tells the complete story. No air-conditioning, only a fan with louvered cabin doors and large windows to assist with the ventilation
SS Badger. Coal fired ferry in scheduled service crossing Lake Michigan. Built for rail road car ferrying in 1953. Now carries passenger, auto, RVs and trucks including oversized loads. 2 x 3500hp Skinner Unaflow steam engines fed from 4 Foster Wheeler type D marine boilers.
The 1346 ton ferry SCILLONIAN (IMO 7527796) is the third passenger ferry of that name to connect the Scilly Isles to Penzance , three hours away on the Cornish mainland. The service has been running for nearly 100 years. She was built at Appledore in 1977:
Delivered in February 1944 from Pusey Jones Corp., Wilmington, DE, USA to US War Shipping Administration, Wilmington, christened “CAPE DIAMOND” Transferred in 1946 to US Maritime Commission, Wilmington. Sold in 1947 to Warren Petroleum Corp., Wilmington, renamed; «NATALIE O. WARREN» Converted to LPG tanks by Pennsylvania Shipyards Inc., Beaumont, TX, USA. Installed cylindrical, vertical pressure tanks. Launched in November 1947 for Warren Maritime Corp. (manager American Republics Corp.), Wilmington. Petroleum Nav. Corp., Wilmington became managers in 1948. Sold in 1952 to Warren Petroleum Corp., Wilmington. Same managers. J. M. Cook Co., Wilmington became managers in 1954. Sold in September 1961 to A/S Butan (manager Øivind Lorentzen), Oslo, new name; “MUNDOGAS WEST”. Laid up on January 15, 1967 in Vigo, Spain. Sold for chopping Arrived 30/06 1967 in Santander, Spain for scrapping, which began in September at Recuperaciones Submarinas S.A.
Source: Sjøhistorisk database
Seen here as T/T «Mundogas West»:
Tonnage & dimensions:
Gross tonnage: 7,298
Net tonnage: 2,851
Dead weight: 5,303
Length: 412.3 ’
Draft: 37, 8 ’
2 steam turbines (Allis-Chalmers) Driving one propeller shaft.
Machinery built by Allis-Clamers Mfg. Co. Milwaukee, WI, USA
Turbine Performance: 4400 Shp.
The 93 year old double ended car ferry KLAMATH successfully docked for hull repairs as part of conversion to a floating office space. The hull is all riveted steel. The propellers were removed during an earlier docking ~30 years ago. Photo : Frank van Hoorn ARGONAUTICS MARINE ENGINEERING, INC.(c)
Phs van Ommeren’s 1962 built WAARDRECHT passing Venice in 1965 , the WAARDRECHT had 2 sisters named WIELDRECHT (1963) and WOENSDRECHT (1964) the vessels were scrapped in 1985, 1991 & 1992
Photo via Peter Haasbroek (who sailed on the Waardrecht as Engineer in the past)
In 1941 Nakskov Skibsvaerft delivered the small rivited cable layer C.E. KRARUP as yard no. 103. About 20 years later the vessel was converted to the training ship NAVIGATOR for Danish naval officers before she was finally sold to private interests. While she kept her name further on her role changed to a yacht. With 80 years in service she was spotted Oct 29th in perfect exterior shape when passing Kiel on her way from Ijmuiden to her home port Copenhagen. Photo : Martin Lochte-Holtgreven (c)
The other one was MS Sjøveien, which was purpose built for the task, served the rest of the coast, from Bergen to the Oslo fjord and later the entire coast, from the Swedish boarder in the south to the Russian boarder in the north: