Vessel tied up at company dock. Captain went home leaving 3/M in charge. Am I making too big a fuss?

16 posts were split to a new topic: Waterfront Joints

Yes, perhaps too big of a fuss. As your career progresses maybe you will be blessed with the same liberties. Good luck

2 Likes

There’s a Infamous Tug Barge company that’s painted red and starts with the letter B that only has a chief onboard. What happens if the chief goes down below to answer an alarm and falls down and gets seriously injured. ?? It’s BS

1 Like

burneraccount; it’s prob best to take a steady strain and see how things go. We all have made astounding discoveries, gross violations, etc. but more than likely it’s an evolved process and after a couple thousand sea days you’ll be doing the same thing.

3 Likes

jimrr, Took the words out of my mouth sir. Well said.

You make it sound like there’s one per vessel. It’s one Chief for several vessels… :wink:

True

I once had a commercial boat builder tell me that he always got to the shop before work started and sweep the shop floor, said it helped him organize his thoughts. Not just the act of sweeping but sweeping up and around the things that were on the shop floor.

So that’s my advice; even if you know nothing about the boat grab a broom and start sweeping. You’ll soon find something that needs greasing, fixing, organizing, cleaning or replacement etc.

Also you’ll learn the boat which will in turn increase your confidence.

3 Likes

YES, you are!!
My $.02!!! Step up to the plate & undertake the responsibility willingly. You might [will] learn a thing or two. If they didn’t think you could handle it, they wouldn’t have entrusted you.

On my second job as 3/m, I reported aboard a ship that had just been floated from dry dock. That first night, I got the water alarm!! Not knowing the vessel, I called the captain ashore & reported the occurrence. He told me where to go. When I got there it was discovered that the some nuts on the manhole cover on a SWB tank were only slightly more than “hand tight”. I grabbed a wrench and fixed the problem. Next day, the kudos came in about being pro-active as a “new guy”. . .

It’s your opportunity to either EXCEL, or not!

5 Likes

Excellent example sir. Found myself there more than once.

That has been my concern because it has happened before, with a green boat company